Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeking the WOTL here -

I'm about to plunk down big $ on an Aerostich Roadcrafter and I'm seeking information on alternatives. I've searched the web quite a bit and haven't found what I really want. Hopefully someone else has and will let me know about it.

I think what I'm really looking for is a big waterproof bag with a zipper ! :lol:

Although I occasionally take a long ride (over 100 miles), most of my riding is commuting to work, running errands, day trips with stops - that sort of thing. In other words, a lot of on and off the bike. That plus the fact that I'm 50 and overweight means I'm not interested in most of the slim fitting, hard to get on/off stuff on the market.

So, I end up wearing a good cordura jacket and dockers to work or jeans otherwise - the type of pants that will offer no protection at all if I should fall and slide even a few feet.

What I want is a one piece cordura riding suit (1 piece so I'm forced to always wear the pants ) that goes on/off quickly/easily and has lots of vents so I can wear it in hot weather. Being warm I'm less concerned about since I have full Gerbing heated gear for the winter. Armor is a wonderful thing but it makes things heavier and bulkier. Since I'm only wearing thin cotton on my legs now, cordura would be a huge improvement so, I'd be happy with a suit with no armor in it.

The Aerostich fills this nicely, actually too nicely. It's more of a suit than I really need and, since you get what you pay for, I'm paying for much more than I need. It's the closest I've seen to what I need/want and in a few days I'll be finallizing the order but, till then, if anyone wears or actually knows of a suit that might work for me and is more reasonably priced, please let me know.

TIA

·
Registered
239 Posts
Doc, as you said, the Roadcrafter fits the bill exactly. I don't understand what you mean when you say it's more suit than you need, though. The way I see it is that there can never be enough when it comes to bodily protection when we ride our two wheeled machines. I love my Aerostich and I always wear it. There's no excuse not to as it goes on and off in less than 30 seconds and stows easily under the Burgman's seat. With the vents open, it's cool enough to wear in summer, provided you don't have one of those humonguous windscreens and the waterproofing is pretty good. Only once, during a torrential downpour which lasted for about an hour, did water get in. I don't think any suit would have done better under those conditions. The bodily protection provided by the 'Stich is about as good as it gets. There was a time when you had to wear full leathers if you wanted to do a track day, but now they allow Aerostich suits as well. They are definately not cheap, but this is one time when you get what you pay for. Check out what the majority of Iron Butt and other adventure riders wear. You'll find most of them wear Roadcrafters.

Cheers,

Bob

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bob for those thoughts.

I know the 'stich is top rate and, if I did a lot of longer rides it would make more sense. Not that you can ever have too much protection but it's sort of like I always wear a full face helmet and Cordura jacket on the highway but sometimes going back and forth to work and around town I'll wear a half helmet and no jacket. Good idea ? Nope but that's what I do.

Maybe I'm not being realistic but it seems to me a plain vanilla cordura suit for commuters should be available for a lot less than $800.

If I don't find something else (and it's looking like I won't) I'll get the 'stich and, as you say, better more protection than less, and probably be very happy with it.

Thanks again. Ride safe

·
Registered
239 Posts
JerseyBiker said:
Maybe I'm not being realistic but it seems to me a plain vanilla cordura suit for commuters should be available for a lot less than $800.
I get what you mean, now, and yes, I agree. A simple, coverall kind of garment that doesn't cost an arm and a leg seems like a good idea, but I don't think anyone makes one!

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The Roadcrafter was perhaps the very first article of riding gear I tried to buy. The "tried" part is because it does not come in my size. (I wear about a size 54-56 coverall last time I checked.) I find it very irritating that Aerostitch will not custom-size for any price, and even more irritating htat absolutely no one else seems to be in the business save Gerbing's, whose individually-tailored Ultimate Suit looks very nice but too hot for Tennessee summers.

I sense a business opportunity here...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If not a suit, a good jacket and a pair of chaps will offer a lot of protection and easy on & off
And don't start thinking the protection is mostly for your longer trips, I sure you know that most accidents happen within 5 miles of home- :)

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Randy said:
snip
And don't start thinking the protection is mostly for your longer trips, I sure you know that most accidents happen within 5 miles of home- :)

...........and 63.78% of statistics are just made up too! :lol:

PS Hey Randy no offence intended m8. :)

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
chiefkeefe said:
Hi Doc.

Have a look at the Giali's Tourismo Suit at http://www.giali.co.uk/mod/product/id_prd/96. It might be what you're looking for.

HTH
This looks good but it costs just about what the Aerostich does and with the added shipping, it would probably be more.

Thanks anyway.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all.

It's looking like nothing comes close to the Aerostich for all seasons. So, it will probably be the 'stich I'll go for.

Thanks to all for your replies.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Look at Fieldsheer

About 2 months ago I got a 400 and wanted a one piece suit. I found http://www.Brocktoncycles.com and got a one piece Fieldsheer. I think it is a heck of a buy. The local BMW dealer carries them through their catalog for $329, which I was considering, because the "Stitch" was just pricey. I ordered the Fieldsheer on line from Brockton Cycles for $199 + $13 shipping. I've been very happy with it. If you are interested in my experience, send me a message.
steve skipper

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Look at Fieldsheer

skipper said:
... and got a one piece Fieldsheer. I think it is a heck of a buy. ... If you are interested in my experience, send me a message.
steve skipper
Steve - is that the Highland ? If so, does the rain lining always stay in or do you put it in only when it rains? Is the lining Gore Tex or similar, i.e. does it breathe ? How are the vents in the suit - do you think it's something you can wear in 80-90 degree weather ? Is it easy on / off ? I know myself and if it's a PIA I'll reach for something else when I go riding.

Thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lapine Rider said:
The Roadcrafter was perhaps the very first article of riding gear I tried to buy. The "tried" part is because it does not come in my size. (I wear about a size 54-56 coverall last time I checked.) I find it very irritating that Aerostitch will not custom-size for any price, and even more irritating htat absolutely no one else seems to be in the business save Gerbing's, whose individually-tailored Ultimate Suit looks very nice but too hot for Tennessee summers.

I sense a business opportunity here...
I thought Aerostich would custom make any size.....Hmmm....you wear a 54-56..... you might want to call them and tell them that if they won't make one for you, you and your "Big Brother" are gonna take a ride over and have a little "TALK" with them! LOL Maybe then they'll change their mind.

I agree on the business opportunity...there seems to be no one else doing what Aerostich does. Probably why they can charge what they do. Tho' I also have to state that in all the emails I've gotten, not a single one had anything but praise for the 'stich suit and everyone who owned one said they would buy another in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I've actually contacted Aerostitch and been told "no". They have the right to say "no", I suppose. But I also have the right to publicly bitch about it. :)

Mostly because of this thread, I've restarted the hunt for a riding suit. Right now I'm hanging on a three-way edge; sticking with just my jacket and saving a grand, getting one custom made for $900 by a rather pleasant-sounding and promising-looking outfit in San Fransisco (I'll post more when and if I learn more about them) and a Gerbing's Ultimate suit bought in Fall. If I was sure the Gerbing's suit would be wearable in August in the South, I'd have one already, even though I'd rather have a one-piece. I've located a Gerbing's dealer not too terribly far away; I'll have to take a road trip and check them out in the next few weeks before deciding.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here is the link:
Fieldsheer Highland Suit at brocktoncycle.com

The suit itself is waterproof. The lining is great for cold weather and is removable. I have not used it in the summer yet. It does have vents and is a one zip on and off. However, getting in and out requires removing boots, which is not unusual. If you want something fast, just get a jacket. If you want protection, it is going to take a couple of minutes to get ready. I just plan a little extra time. I ride less than 3 miles to work every day and look like an astronaut while riding. I don't know anyone who thought they had too much protective gear on when in an accident. I went through the road rash craze in my 20's. I'm not willing to do that again.

I like the suit, but if you get it and don't like it, I think you won't have any problem returning it, but check with them.

steve

·
Registered
250 Posts
The Fieldsheer looks very good.

I've located a supplier very near to where I live (Trevor Pope's in Gosport, for any Brits reading this), and it retails at £199. I'm very interested in getting something like this, but have some doubt that it'll fit me properly (being a lanky git).

Think I'll take a trip ....
:wink:

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Steve - The Fieldsheer is definitely into the mix now of things to consider.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts