Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up this super low mileage (3412 miles) 03 650. My last 05 had a rear passenger backrest, this one does not. I want to get a box for the back but I need a rack to mount it to. I can find OEM ones on EBay but they all say 05-11. Is there something different from the 03 & 04’s vs the newer ones as RO why it wouldn’t work on mine? Hoping someone can provide a link of exactly what I need to mount a box on. Thanks so much!!

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
Take anything DaveJ says as gospel since he has one, but to the best my knowledge it should be the same rack.
If you pull your top rear piece you'll see three bolt holes, and on the bottom of the plastic three X's that seem to match 'em.
Those are predrilled on the Exec models to put a passenger backrest on.
Drill those X's/marks with a 3/4" bit (as I recall)..use tape and center 'em properly..you have one shot & that blue is rare!
Then voila. The rack should fit.
Per another discussion they seem to go about $90 on eBay for the OEM one. There used to be, & still may be an aftermarket one as well that had some good comments here, but I can only speak to the OEM and note that it's a nice rack & you can add pretty much any top case to it you like with generic mounts.
I recommend sealing the holes with a flexible sealant of some sort after you have the rack in place, & gluing the bolt covers on the rack in place with similar.
I ended up replacing the nice soft rubber suzuki bolt covers with hard generic ones after one of 'em popped out (I didn't seal 'em in place at first).

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
Every thing, almost, from 2002 till 2012 will interchange like Lego's. Some things like brake rotors are different 2002-2004, 4 bolts and 2005-2012 are 5 bolts.

Exec's have a few items that will not fit a non Exec.

My Ultra Fast Blue 2003 650

Hy20 1.jpg

20190924_144255.jpg

Reactions: BrianGuy1979

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
That's the aftermarket one kicking around. Should be fine. You can get some plastic caps to cover the tops of the bolts in it at gnome depot or lowes or something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nice find ! I'm going through the same process on the 08 Exec I just picked up. I ordered that rack on ebay, and received a generic 32 litre top box from Amazon yesterday with a universal mounting plate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice find ! I'm going through the same process on the 08 Exec I just picked up. I ordered that rack on ebay, and received a generic 32 litre top box from Amazon yesterday with a universal mounting plate.
Awesome man! With the help of you guys I am ordering that rack on EBay. Someone else here on BurgmanUSA posted his rig for sale and I’m inspired to figure out how to make mine look like his!!

How cool is this?!

·
Registered
65 Posts
It is definitely unique. My concern would be, if I traveled with my wife on that... she'd load the top box and saddle bags so heavy I'd have a hard time keeping the front wheel on the pavement. Wheelie on a Burgman ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol!! My wife isn’t a huge fan to ride with me or less she is on her own so luckily that wouldn’t be a concern....burn man that would totally make it a wheelie machine lol

I seen this top case on EBay too that caught my eye but not sure how I’d get any saddles to match up to it!

🤔

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just purchased this one (in black) for my '08 Exec. This is all you need.

If I order this one up, do I just need RO go to the hardware store with it to find some bolts to match up to it? Being mine is blank I won’t have any pre-existing hardware to utilize....

Reactions: soulasismusic

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I order this one up, do I just need RO go to the hardware store with it to find some bolts to match up to it? Being mine is blank I won’t have any pre-existing hardware to utilize....
Absolutely. I'm not certain what size the bolts are that came from my Exec backrest, but I'm sure someone will chime in to assist. I ordered it in black since I have a black 650 and it's great!!

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think I’ll order in black too as I don’t have any chrome anywhere on my bike. Glad to know I’m getting closer! Just gotta figure out the hardware now!

·
Registered
24 Posts
So... I just tried to go fit the black one to my Executive and it won't work. It doesn't match the precut holes in the top tupperware. Dang it!

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
Huh. My apologies for my earlier post. I only glanced at the rack in question.
This is the OEM Rack. Seems they are going for a fortune these days due to rarity.
Think I paid about $125 for mine (it was an open box missing the bolts) back a few years.

Far as the aftermarket ones not lining up I expect that's a QC thing since you have to cut expense somewhere when making something to a price point.
Soul, do you have a pic about how far off those are? does it match the bolts if you pull the tupperware?
Might be it can be persuaded a bit, if it's not too much it shouldn't be too big of a deal. Kind of a trade-off between the tension holding things and extra tension on the welds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Uh Oh, I'm expecting delivery soon on the silver version for my 08 Exec. I'll let you know my results.
I'm also waiting for a replacement right side tail light assembly, it has a dime sized hole in it, I ordered that, and figured I'd get the luggage rack installed while I had the back of the bike apart.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got the aftermarket rack fitted on the Burgman. Just had the dremel the holes a tad on the inners to get the rack to drop down in the holes. The rack lines up perfectly with where the backrest came off.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts