Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see from my Post Name - I am a 650 owner, so what am I doing here on 400 topics. I am considering a 400 Burgman.

I have a Burgman 650 2007 (broke down Nov 2013 at 73,400 miles). I bought it used on 2009 with 1700 miles. Had one other major malfunction related to electrical (Suspect Rect/Reg caused it - may have been caused by my putting in an old Kawasaki Battery - I posted about it on here). Briefly. ended up blowing every light bulb that was on and the 12v Input to the ECM. Managed to get things fixed myself (used ECM from E Bay and new Rect/Reg).

ANYWAY -- Big question is the 400 problems with Clutches and Belts or any other CVT issues. I have researched her and other places (Google Burgman 400 problems). The reason I ask is it is sort of hard to read thru the posts as folks get off the subject.

I was ready to make a trip to buy a used 20011 with 5100 miles this AM (XMAS EVE), Then received inputs from a friend about the many issues with Burgman 400 Clutches or CVTs. It got me to thinking and I decided to postpone the trip until Thu or Fri (I may just forget the whole idea of a Scooter as there seems to be a lot of problems with them and some have really had issues of many repairs and no resolution, that includes Silverwings). It does seem to be more Burgman 400s than anything.

I might still buy one if deal is right and if I think I can do some repairs and replacements my self. Belt replacement every 15000 is an issue itself, but the clutch thing adds to it.

Any comments or opinions about problems and or trouble to do some work on it by ones self would be appreciated. HELP with DECISION. :confused:

·
Registered
341 Posts
I think you are being unrealistic. If I got 73,000 miles out of ANYTHING with the problems you listed, it would be counted a win!
Anything with moving parts is going to take some maintenance. The CVT on the 400 is simpler and less expensive to fix than the 650.
Belt replacement is not hard from what I've read and watched. The clutch is another thing to get used to.
I would ride one before making a decision. I like my 400.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I put 46k+ miles on my 07 400 before selling it. Belts lasted me 22k & clutch lasted 35k.
A 400 wouldn't have the power the 650 has but will get you 10+ more mpg. Has a little more storage under the seat & doesn't weigh as much. After having both for me I'll take a 650 over the 400. ;)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've had my share of CVT issues on the 400, but I'd still recommend it. Okay things to consider...

-If you're portly (250+ pounds), plan to do a lot of two-up riding, live in a really mountainous area, or densely trafficked city, the dry clutch can glaze due to the extra heat generated. However, Deglazing is a relatively minor fix.
-the belts will last 20k+. I've heard tale of 35k, but I would not do it. The belt will be affected also by the factors in my first point.
-other than the occasional deglaze, the clutch will last a long time, maintenance free. However, make sure it is the K8 five shoe clutch or later. Suzuki redesigned it for the newer style 400 in 2008.
-many, many people here will tell you that they've had no issues what-so-ever with the CVT. And I still recommend it even though, I've had some. That's gotta tell you something.

I wouldn't let the CVT issue hold you back from a great bike. It's still the best bike I've ever owned.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
+1 to Liam's comments: the clutch judder is an easily solvable annoyance - not a maintenance 'issue.'

We don't know anything about how you ride, only that you do it a lot (70K miles in four years). From this I would infer you do a lot of open road riding, and would ask why not get another 650? The 400 may or may not be the right bike for you. DEFINITELY ride one before you decide.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I've put 9000 miles on my 07 since buying it 5 months ago and it's been flawless. I put sliders in which didn't work out but that is a aftermarket thing not required. It's a great bike and even getting the belt off is a half hour job.

I am curious what's wrong with the 650 right now that's made you write it off.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I rode a 08 400 4,000 miles through the mountains of Southwestern Va. East Tn. Western, NC and Southern WV last year and the prior owner had ridden it nearly 10,000 miles on the same roads. It performed flawlessly and there were no problems of any kind. Part of the clutch issues are due to the way they are ridden. You start out accelerating hard until the clutch locks up and then ease up. I learned this from the first owner. After it was totaled, I replaced it with a 650 only because there were no good 400s available at the right price when I needed it. I wouldn't hesitate buying another one for a moment. It did very well in the mountains and got bout 15 MPG better with tires that cost about half of the cost of 650 tires.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've always thought of the 400 as a city bike with great highway capabilities and the 650 has a highway bike with decent city manners. So pick the bike that most closely resembles your riding requirements.

Be that said, if you ride both city and highway equally like me, I think the 400 is a slightly more capable freeway bike than the 650 is a city bike. Plus lower cost, better milage, less weight, easier maintenance, and better handling kinda seals the deal. If you can deal with the lower power and not too much two up riding, the 400 is the way to go.

I'm not bagging on the 650, I LOVE mine and its a tough choice to make. But if I could only have one... The 400 for sure. But that's me and my riding habits. I'm always one up and stick to one state.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I've always thought of the 400 as a city bike with great highway capabilities and the 650 has a highway bike with decent city manners. So pick the bike that most closely resembles your riding requirements.

Be that said, if you ride both city and highway equally like me, I think the 400 is a slightly more capable freeway bike than the 650 is a city bike. Plus lower cost, better milage, less weight, easier maintenance, and better handling kinda seals the deal. If you can deal with the lower power and not too much two up riding, the 400 is the way to go.

I'm not bagging on the 650, I LOVE mine and its a tough choice to make. But if I could only have one... The 400 for sure. But that's me and my riding habits. I'm always one up and stick to one state.
I would agree with your comments on the comparison of the 400 and the pre-2013 650 and I have often commented in a similar way. However, with the addition of the redesigned 2013 650, I have changed that comparison a little. The 2013 650 is closer to the 400's positive attributes while still retaining the 650's positive attributes. It is easier to handle at low speeds, walking it is easier, and gets better mpg.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GREAT FORUM HERE & GREAT MEANINGFUL RESPONSES --- Helps me make a decision. No way could I have gotten this much information on any other research effort. THANKS A BUNCH.

To answer a few questios or observations.

I do ride a lot (geeting old now at 75 last Sept so not sure how long that will continue)? I have owned two bikes since buying the Burgman in 2009 (had a 2005 KAWA 800 Cruiser at the time I bought the Burgman and kept it. Sold the cruiser with 87000 miles in 2011. Might add -- the KAWA had NOT ONE vsist to the DR during that the 84000 miles I rode it. I bought a NINJA 500 (2008 in 2011 with 1,000 miles on it for $2800 right after I sold the KAWA(and now have 43,000 on it and never been to the DR. Overall, I have ridden over 260,000 miles since May of 2001 (first bike was a 2001 VLX 600 Honda - 71,000 miles - No DRs).

The 650 is one of the best rides of any considering everything (handling, performance, comfort, storage). I ride it everywhere (most miles were within 125 mile radius of Sevierville, TN, Near Knoxville). A lot of Mtn Roads (some very steep with steep switchacks, gravel roads, many backroads of 1 1/2 lanes and rough, many good county and state roads and intestate when needed. It has been out west on RV Trips (towed and rode when camped). I do not Baby it, ride moderately hard (not a Knee dragger, but I hang off the bike at times). Not too much Double Riding (wife rides limited amount), I would say 10,000 miles maybe.

NO Complaints about it -- only issues are seat height (I can flat foot), weight, and hard to push around with the clutch drag, plus cost of repair when the clutch or CVT Belt gives up the ghost. Not an issue on that if one can get 50000 or 70000 out of it for a Few $1000

I looked at Burgman 650, and 400s, nad Silverwing. Missed a really good deal on a 2010 650 (Non ABS) for $4500 by a day - guy bought it the day i found it. Then foud this god deal on a Burgman 400 ($4150 with SABS and 5100 Miles). Just decided to try the 400. I have ridden one before (friens 2005 over some mountains and curves). Not a 650 for sure, but it is OK.

ONE PERSON asked what happened to my 650?

Posted on here under 650 as Failed CVT if you want details. I thought the CVT. Now think it might just be the clutch. If I can get it fixed reasonable price - I will ride it and the 400. Make 400 my nice rode and errand running bike and make the 650 my rough road and gravel road bike as it is beat up all ready. Sell the NINJA.

Failure symptom -- running along just fine then would only do 25 mph at 6000 rpm (lack of power to rear wheel). Made a stop take off, tehn up one hill at reduced sped and eventually would not pull up a hill (8mph). I pulled over to let cars by and it would not take off again.

Thanks again -- I am going tobhuy the 400 and see if I like it for my rides.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Done Deal (almost, I have to register it Friday AM). I will then be a bonafide Burgman 400 owner / rider (2011 with 5240 miles after my test ride).
Despite the fact - I have a Burgman 650 Post Name. HA!

We (friend went with me to help with drive) drove to Hickory, NC (350 miles to try it out and pick it up).

A few more blemishes than I imagined based on what I was told and pictures on Craiglist. He had offered to send more pictures before I went, but I said forget it. I expected to have to cover the blemishes (reflective tape or touch up paint). They are result of a Forgot Kickstand Drop.

I was satisfied with the test ride. It is not the performance of a 650, does not have near the storage of a 650, but I like the smoothness, and it is fast enough on get away to keep up with normal traffic (would not win a drag race ). By the way, I did take advice from here and tried the quick throttle to 4000 rpm and then adjust speed - works well for me. I doubt top speed is much more than mid 90s. I was on a 45 mph 2 lane Hwy and once out of town was able to hit 80 a couple times and do some sweeping curves at 60. Handles OK (not a 650, but OK).

I think it wil be a fun ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hey congratulations! Looks like a beaut!

It's doesn't have the power of the 650, but I think you'll find it handles better. Comfort wise, I like mine as much as the 650, I don't feel a lot of difference between the two.

I wish you many years and 10s of thousands of miles riding ahead...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I found I could carry more groceries in the trunk of my 400 than I can in my 650. The two little glove boxes on the sides of the 400 are smaller but carrying capacity is more on the 400.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I agree with osbornk trunk on my 07 400 held more that the one on my 09 650. Nice looking 400. :thumbup: One thing I think you will need to change is the windshield. OEM one on the 400 is a joke. At high speeds it will flex & in high winds you will think it's going to break. :eek:
Enjoy it cause the great thing it's a Burgman & you can't go wrong no matter which model you ride. ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
I love my 400, but for sure will be changing that windshield because its to short for me.

I can fit crazy amounts of things in mine, and grocery shop on it quite frequently.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Trunk on the 2011 -- I do not think it is as big as my K7 650 was. It seems harder to get my full face in (the back under the overhang). There is a big hump in the middle, I guess to keep the rear tire from rubbing.

Maybe previous models of the 400 were larger (changes made in 2007 was it not - so, I would think they would be the same unless they added the hump) Buddy that was with me thought his 2005 400 had was bigger than this 2011.

The glove boxes are not near as large.

No big deal, still more built in storage than any MC (excpet baggers with box on back and I do not consider that built in, just add ons).

I am now on search for HOW TO DO STUFF (like LeDude's Info on the Burgman 650) and DARKSIDE Information (I did that on the 650 and plan to try it on the 400).

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The trunk is the same from 07 on. Yes it has the hump, but the box is about 10 quarts bigger, depending on which year 650 you're comparing it to. You can easily get two FF helmets and some gear in there. My friend offered me some free Givi saddle bags, but turned him down as I never needed more storage than what the 400 has on board.

The two top glove boxes are smaller, but the lockable one is bigger and deeper. All in all, I think the 400 has more storage. But yes you are correct, its a heck of a lot more built-in storage than any MC on the market save a Goldwing.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts