Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

O.K. I am frustrated. I finally got a Givi E450 Simply case. The dealer picked up my B400 from me (which was very nice of them yesterday). It was supposed to be ready today at 5:00 PM. I called at 12:00 PM to see how things were going. The service manager said that he was just starting to work on it now. At 4:30 PM they said it was not ready yet cause they just sold 2 bikes and that takes priority over my scooter I asked him what was the point of me making an appointment? And he said that it was not unusual for things like this to happen... I replied that I had never had that problem in the past with service esp. if one makes an appointment. He said that the scoot would be ready tomorrow by 5:00 PM and that they already had 1 and 1/2 hours into the wiring of the brake light cause they had to take everything apart

I contained my temper and said I would see him tomorrow. What I need to know from all you knowledgeable people out there is this:

-how long does it take to take the parts off necessary to install a Givi trunk
-how long does it take to wire the brake lights
-how much have you been charged for this kind of service
-what do you think is the max I should pay for this type of service

I am going to pick up my "Silver Queen" tomorrow, so if you are reading this please respond asap!

I am frustrated because I would rather not know when something is supposed to be ready, than to be disappointed because you see no problem in renegging on a time line

Any advice that you can give me will be greatly appreciated

Evelyn

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The dealer I go to schedules "drop off" times for maintenance. They will not project completion times. They are very clear about this when you make an appointment. In practice, they have usually called me the following day to let me know that the work was completed. This is their busiest time of year for sales though, so I try to avoid having anything but emergency maintenance done during this timeframe.

I did have them install my Givi E52 trunk. I was charged for 3 hours labor. Even though you have a smaller trunk, the installation process will be the same.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I recently carried out this work on the lardy - fitting a givi rack for the E52.

Start to finish = 1 hour.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Paul

Thats a very good point!

The first job (referred to above) was to fit the rack so I could use the top case.

I then ordered the light kit after deciding that it really was a necessary mod).

So the second job was the fitting of the light kit to the case (1 hour) and then fitting the wiring harness to rack and bike (1 hour - but I did it twice once the wrong way and then the right way :lol: )

I posted in the How to and put pics in the gallery. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I put on the E52NF myself. I had a headstart as there was a GIVI backrest already installed so I only had to slightly enlarge the three holes.

From start to finish about an hour and one-half. I was slow. The wiring took ten minutes as I took off the right rear light cover to get the wires and crimped on the ones from GIVI

·
Registered
728 Posts
I bought a VIP trunk, made my own mount.
with figuring out the wireing and where to drill all the holes, about 3 hours total.
If I had bought a givi trunk, and mount, I'll bet under an hour.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
hang in there Evelyn!
Hopefully you'll have your scoot back today! :D
From what I've seen most shops are skeleton crews and many do both sales and service. I think they make the majority of customers with sales and get repeat business from service. :(
I'd guess your shop is the same way and his time estimate was guesstimated based on an average day and then it came out not to be an average day. Good for shop longevity, unfortunate for you. I also get very displeased with inaccurate time estimates so I definately know where you are coming from! Sorry you had to wait an extra day and hope it's just an isolated incident.
I used to have a wallet with "SH!T HAPPENS!" on it but (guess what?) it got stolen!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Everyone for your replies. Right now I am ready to puke because I am soooo aggravated!!!!

I finally got my 400 back after numerous phone calls and a couple of days delay. The dealer charged me for 4 hours of service at 72.00 an hour (my mistake Pauljo not 76.00) to put on my stinking Givi E450 case. The dealer supposedly called Givi and they allegedly said it would take 4 hours.

I called the technician at Givi and he said that it would take max. 2.5 hours of which he could do it in 2. When I told them that you all had said a max of 3 they did not believe me. They said the trunk came with no installation manual and so it took them longer, plus the cable for the brake was bad...

Now I am looking closely at the construction of this trunk and I am thinking to myself this is kind of flimsey (only holds 6 lbs) for all of this dang money, it looks O.K. Although I did fall in love with the V46 in red on a red Ducati. It looked absolutely fabulous, but then I am beginning to stray from my tale of woe.

So what am I trying to say here. Unless you are willing to spend approx. 288.00 for labor plus 450.00 for the case and mount, I would suggest you find something else! :evil: But then again what do I know in re: to after market purchases.
:twisted: :x
Evelyn

·
Registered
761 Posts
OUCH!!!

Thanks Evelyn. We appreciate the sharing of your experience. I imagine others have had better. But we all like to hear all sides to the story.

For my part, I too did not see the need to plunk down that much moolah! So I went with the altenative case on Ebay. So far, I still have not received it. Been a week since check was cashed. Anyway..

I will let you all know my impressions of that case and its installation from my point of view.

My plan is to utilize the GIVI mount and try to jerry-rig something that will allow me to unhook the case just like the GIVI's, but, that will not prevent me from having a case. If the only way I can have a case is to make it fairly permanent, then I will. But, figure I got time to tinker with it.

Sorry to hear about your experience with your "wonderful" service department. Does your GIVI case close? Another guy's was having problems.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Evelyn,
After hearing all of your woes with this dealer, I am very thankful that they never followed up on me when I was Burgman shopping. Stopped in a couple of times and they promised me the moon; but never heard from them.
We are very fortunate that in our area, there is lot's of other suzuki dealers that may appreciate us more so than this one.
Ride safe on the Kamakazee Pkwy.
Perry R

·
Registered
848 Posts
:shock: That's a lot of money! A few months ago I was looking at a Majesty. The Yamaha dealer had installed the Yamaha rack and 44 liter color matched top case (which appeared to be a Givi). The price installed for the rack was $120.00, the case installed, $270.00. And that's Canadian money! It was written right on the tag so it wasn't just sales talk.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts