Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided to go out this morning and change my spark plug. I remove the old plug and 1st thing I notice is that there's no cap on the end of the plug.

At first I thought ok, it's stuck in the boot. Didn't look like it was in there. But the part that was had flat spots on it that could be turned with a screwdriver so I unscrewed it (the brass part in the pic). And this is what came out and in the same order....

Do I need a new boot? Is the plug supposed to be installed without the cap on? Or is my boot legitimately missing parts? I feel a little stupid right now but ...Please advise what the heck is going on here. Old plug at top of pic, new plug at bottom.

This could certainly explain my "rough running issue I've been having.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok guys, I answered my own question by watching MicBerg's spark plug vid. I noticed when he pulled the plug out there was no cap on it. I've never had any vehicle that needed to remove the cap before.

I'm happy to say she's back together and running :)

Hope I'm keeping you all entertained :D

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Don't feel bad about that. I remember when I learned the same lesson about motorcycle spark plugs - a long long time ago. As you do more and more you will find some things that are just different about motorcycles. This is the reason I have tried to mentor several people over the years before I got too old to do so. It also feels good to pass the knowledge on.

Doug

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't feel bad about that.
Doug
Thanks. I'm so Happy that I got it back together, otherwise my wife and I would have missed a 200 mile ride yesterday:D

What I find hard to believe about those internals.. is the crappy little electrode and spring.. guess it works though..

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Thanks. I'm so Happy that I got it back together, otherwise my wife and I would have missed a 200 mile ride yesterday:D

What I find hard to believe about those internals.. is the crappy little electrode and spring.. guess it works though..
The blue capsule looking thingy is a resistor.

There is a horseshoe shaped spring clip in the plug connector that grips the threads on the plug terminal:

This is very common on Japanese bikes, and makes the connection much more vibration resistant...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not have guessed that was a resistor, thanks for info. It feels like aluminum.

As you can see in my pic, my spring had a little corrosion, cleaned that up a little with a wire brush.

Changing the plug has helped my rough running, not totally but it did help. I can cruise easier at very slow speeds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts