Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm riding home from the store and all of a sudden I have 0 power taking off from a stop. Once I get up to speed it seems normal. Has anyone else had a problem like this? Edit: Forgot to say that it is wide open throttle in the video.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Have you done anything to the variator recently? I get the impression the sliders are sticking or have come out of the slots

·
Registered
42 Posts
When my drive belt got close to needing replacement the belt was starting to slip on take off. Once moving power improved a bit. Also the rpm and the speed would almost match when the drive belt was good an example of this was if you were going 45 mph the tack would say 4500 rpm.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Have you done anything to the variator recently? I get the impression the sliders are sticking or have come out of the slots
A shop was in and and replaced the belt a couple thousand miles ago. And as best as I can understand, they managed to mangle the metal ring that goes on the back of the variator, so they replaced it with one for a 2007+ model. Edit: metal ring being the one that screws on to hold the plate in the back.

·
Premium Member
8,323 Posts
I'm kinda thinkin if that was wide open throttle, and the rpm's were that slowly crawlin up, it aint a slippin belt or variator cause the motor would be racing, maybe a tps thing or a motor don't got gas or whatever. does it act the same on center stand?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm kinda thinkin if that was wide open throttle, and the rpm's were that slowly crawlin up, it aint a slippin belt or variator cause the motor would be racing, maybe a tps thing or a motor don't got gas or whatever. does it act the same on center stand?
Nope, rev's quite freely on the center stand.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Would that still be a potential problem with rollers? (I didn't put sliders in)
Sorry yes generic term. If they have slipped sideways or come out of the slots the symptoms you exhibit is the result. Only guessing on your description of course we the management reserve the right to reverse our observations at anytime 😁 (y)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Since it should normally rev up to at least 5 or 6K on take-off, It does seem like it's starting out in a high gear. That would kind of make sense with sliders, don't know how a roller could get out of place.

Nonetheless, it warrants a CVT disassembly and look-see. Make sure the belt starts out all the way down in the variator. Need to check the clutch assembly as well, make sure the contra spring is good. (Squeezing the rear pulley halves apart should be difficult to impossible with your hands.) The metal ring on the back of the variator does nothing as far as I can tell....maybe to keep it from falling apart during assembly. If using sliders you have to keep it pressed together when putting it on and assembling anyway. Rollers aren't so critical.

Once you get it apart, maybe take a video close-up of the CVT while revving it up on the center stand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts