Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Live in York, Pa and will be buying a 650 with ABS. Just got a true total out door price including all taxes of 9771 for a brand new 2013. They gave me an out door price of 7917 on a 2012 with just a few thousand miles. Thoughts? Suggestions. Dealer is Twigg Cycles in Hagerstown. I had been looking at 2008-9 execs for around 5,000. Thanks. Scott

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I don't know your market, but my sense is the price of the '13 is pretty good. The '12 seems high. That being said, if these are the best & final prices, I'd go with the '13 for the upgraded mechanical s and new styling. Plus when you sell in 5 or so years, my guess is that the '13 will be recognized as the 'new' model - and should get a premium over the '12, which will lower your overall cost of ownership.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
There are some advantages to the 2013 models like better gas mileage that in the long run could offset the lower buy in cost of the 2012. Comes down to how long you are going to keep the bike and how many miles you will be putting on it. With the 2012 you will not be taking as much of a depreciation hit. I think the price on the 2012 might be a little high though since it is a used bike.

In the end it comes down to which one you like better. If you like the styling changes and incremental improvements you get with the 2013 then go that way. If you can live without that and want to save some purchase money go with one of the used bikes. I can't see a whole lot of advantage to going with the 2012 over and 08 or 09 if those bikes are low mileage and in good shape. The differences between the 12 and 08 or 09 are a lot less than the difference between the 12 and 13.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you can afford the 2013, buy it. Lots of improvements over the 2012 and earlier, plus YOU will know how it is broken-in and maintained from the very start.

Always questionable what a previous owner has done (or NOT done!) before you bought it. Some owners don't really care if any maintenance is done or not, sad to say. The worst situation is if it was a reposession and the former owner flogs and abuses the bike without mercy. You never really know the history when buying used from a dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am certainly leaning towards the 13 for all the reasons stated above. Appreciate all the feedback. Any other insight about the price of 9700 out the door of the 2013? The shop is over an hour away. I may try local and see if they will beat it. Thanks again. What a great forum with great information.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I was in much the same situation as you last year (though the newest bike wasn't out yet). I choose the '09 that my dealer had on the floor. It was in great shape and only had 2000 miles on it. No history on the bike from the previous owner but knowing that the Japanese motorcycles will take abuse and just keep on going, I took the chance. Changed the fluids, all the old fluids looked new as would be expected with only 2000 miles on the bike. I have been riding it for over a year now and I have no regrets in buying this bike used vs. a new one. Got to keep a lot of money in my pocket buying this way as well.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks antimatter. Based on what you got I ought to be able to get them down some more. At least I can try. I think the advantages of the 2013 are worth it, especially if they come down a bit.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If you can afford the 2013, buy it. Lots of improvements over the 2012 and earlier, plus YOU will know how it is broken-in and maintained from the very start.

Always questionable what a previous owner has done (or NOT done!) before you bought it. Some owners don't really care if any maintenance is done or not, sad to say. The worst situation is if it was a reposession and the former owner flogs and abuses the bike without mercy. You never really know the history when buying used from a dealer.
I can't imagine spending the amount of money a new bike costs and suffering the depreciation it will have. I buy bikes based on condition and price. Of the 16 I have owned, I have not had a lemon and they have all served me well. I only bought one from a dealer and it was a inventory reduction late in the year so he wouldn't have to keep it over the winter. You can judge how it has been treated by a close inspection if you know bikes at all. My friends and I have a 05, 06,07 and a 09. They all run almost exactly the same with the same fuel mileage. We paid between $3,000 and $4,500 for them with the most expensive (mine) having far more accessories.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Keep in mind that not everyone's out the door price is the same. In some states there is no sales tax and registration cost vary greatly. Both of these required costs will add to the OTD price. In my case nearly 10% of the cost of the Burgman.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'd buy a 2006-2011 model with ultra low miles.
After 2005 for the primary pulley adapter, before 2012 to get the nicest instrument cluster with a coolant temperature gage.
Mechanically, they are all the same.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I can't imagine spending the amount of money a new bike costs and suffering the depreciation it will have. I buy bikes based on condition and price. Of the 16 I have owned, I have not had a lemon and they have all served me well. I only bought one from a dealer and it was a inventory reduction late in the year so he wouldn't have to keep it over the winter. You can judge how it has been treated by a close inspection if you know bikes at all. My friends and I have a 05, 06,07 and a 09. They all run almost exactly the same with the same fuel mileage. We paid between $3,000 and $4,500 for them with the most expensive (mine) having far more accessories.
However, if no one ever bought new, you would never be able to pick up a used bike! Don't forget that even at around $9,000, a new Burgman is less than a THIRD of the price of a new Harley, Goldwing, or Beemer. Imagine their depreciation.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
However, if no one ever bought new, you would never be able to pick up a used bike! Don't forget that even at around $9,000, a new Burgman is less than a THIRD of the price of a new Harley, Goldwing, or Beemer. Imagine their depreciation.
I want OTHER people to buy new. If a lot of people had spending habits like mine, the economy would be in far deeper trouble that it is. I was known at work to be cheap and was teased about it constantly. I retired 11 years ago at 55 and those that teased me are still working and making payments on the new vehicles they have bought.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I agree on the benefits of buying used, but in my case the price on the closeout on a new 400 and getting an interest free loan from Suzuki was too sweet to pass up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
dealership just called back and I told him the 13 had to be at less than 9 out the door and the 12 had to be at 7. He called back later and said couldn't go below 9600 out door for the 13. Includes all title and all taxes. Nothing but a 20 dollar PA inspection. The 12, which has around 2,000 miles on they wouldn't budge. 7,900 out door.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts