Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really quite proud of myself. Took all the plastic off and did all the 14,500 maintenance myself. Everything checked out to spec:D. I didn't even have any parts or fasteners left over when I put everything back together.

Then -- I started it up. It starts and runs very nicely. However, there's an oil leak.:mad: It's a drip, but a steady drip and it only drips when the engine is on. It also sprays a bit on the left side of the bike, about 10" and approximately at the center stand.

I rechecked everything that I could see and I realized I didn't replace the hose that goes to the back of the air box. I'll have to take a lot of plastic off to get to it, but now I know how. The leak seems to originate from that area, but I can't tell for sure.

Could this hose be what's causing the oil leak? If not, any ideas?

I'm going to take time off from the bike today. I've been neglecting my wife and some other chores around the homestead. Tomorrow I'll start tearing it apart again to see if I can find the problem.

Thanks for any help.

John

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Sounds as if you have left off the engine breather hose. It should not be dripping oil though unless your engine is in very poor shape. Did you check the valves? Did you remove the cams to do any adjustments? Is it the cam breather hose you are noticing with the oil drip because you forgot to put it back? Tell us if you did the valves with adjustment.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds as if you have left off the engine breather hose. It should not be dripping oil though unless your engine is in very poor shape. Did you check the valves? Did you remove the cams to do any adjustments? Is it the cam breather hose you are noticing with the oil drip because you forgot to put it back? Tell us if you did the valves with adjustment.
Thanks Quantum,

I checked the valves and they were well within spec. So, no need for adjustment. I certainly could have forgotten the cam breather hose. Could you describe where that is?

By the way, I forgot to mention I changed the final drive oil. Don't know if that has any bearing on the problem.

Thanks for your help!

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the leak! There is a hole just aft of the lower bolt that holds the front air box bracket. Although I can't quite make it out without taking all the plastic and air box off, it appears to be threaded. My (uneducated) guess is that it's some kind of plug. I don't remember taking anything off in that spot, but since there were zero leaks before, I must have. (My secretaries always said I had "Sometimers" disease -- "sometimes he remembers, sometimes he doesn't."). I had put all nuts and bolts on my workbench in an organized fashion. I had none left over. Tis' a puzzlement!

Anyone know what this hole may be?

Thanks for any help,

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took off the plastic so I could get a good look at the leak. I've taken 2 pictures so you all can get a good look.

The first picture gives a good look at the area of the bike. This is the left side of the piston case. You can see both the front and back air box brackets. If you look closely at the bottom bolt holding the front triangle bracket and look about one inch aft, you see the small hole where the oil comes out when the engine is running.

The second picture is a close up where you can see things much clearer. If you look very close you can see a ring around the hole that looks like marks from a washer. I couldn't make out whether there are threads in the hole. The washer marks would indicate there probably are.

I was hoping after I got the plastic off I would find a plug or hose connection or something that had come loose and was caught in the bottom -- nothing there.

Any help identifying what goes here would be much appreciated. I went to the dealer today to see if their schematics could identify a part to order. No luck. Although they sell Burgmans and had a few on the floor, the mechanics said they have only worked on a few, and then only done oil changes.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After going to the dealer and calling 2 online parts suppliers, I found one that felt it was the "oil gallery bolt." He wasn't sure but I ordered it and will give it a try.

We'll let you know how it works.

John

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Nothing goes in that hole. If you look at the parts fiche (Ron Ayers et.al.) and look at the CYLINDER HEAD exploded parts diagram, You will see that hole in the picture.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Here is the picture. I've outlined the mystery hole in red:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the picture. I've outlined the mystery hole in red:

Yep! That's where the hole is. I've contacted 4 online parts suppliers, and 2 Michigan dealers and no one seems to know what it is.

Nothing may go into the hole, but oil sure comes out when you run the engine.

The best explaination I've been given is that some years there was an option for an oil pressure gauge and that would be the logical place to put it. They said that because the hole is shown in the schematic, the spot for the whole is probably cast in the cylinder head. On the units that had that option the hole would have been drilled and tapped for the oil pressure sensor. Someone could have done this as an aftermarket mod also.

In any case, if I can find the right size bolt with the correct thread I'm going to plug it and see how it goes. It looks to me like the oil gallery plug should be about the same size. I've ordered one.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
John that's very interesting. I've not seen that before. I wonder if you may have dislodged some sort of plug that was in there during your maintenance. These engines operate on just 15 to 16psi of oil pressure so it's not much needed to stop up that hole.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I wonder if that is like the hole on the 650 that acts as a drain for the spark plugs. It allows any water that collects around the plug to drain out. I discovered it on my 650 when I did not get the valve cover gasket back on right. Oil leaked around one of the spark plugs and then through the drain passage and out that hole when the engine was running.

If I understand how the spark plug fits in the 07+ cylinder head then the culprit would be gasket number 3 on this parts fiche. http://www.partshark.com/fiche_sect...ory=Scooters&make=SUZUKI&year=2008&fveh=18995

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
You could confirm it by pulling the spark plug and seeing if there is any oil around it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
John that's very interesting. I've not seen that before. I wonder if you may have dislodged some sort of plug that was in there during your maintenance. These engines operate on just 15 to 16psi of oil pressure so it's not much needed to stop up that hole.
Thanks Quantum,

That's exactly what I think happened. I haven't been able to find anything in the service manual about that spot. However, if you go to page 170 (1D-26) the second picture on the left, you can clearly see the hole. The picture is of the thermostat. If you follow the hose connection on the thermostat, the hole is directly to the left in the picture.

I've tried a 6mm/1.00 bolt and it's too small. I've also tried a 7mm/1.00 bolt and it seems too large, although it's could be the wrong pitch. I'm being careful as I don't want to get any cross threading.

I thought of some sort of rubber plug, but I was concerned about high temperatures.

The other thing that bothers me is the width of the cylinder head case. Don't want anything sticking out that can hit something.

Anyone know how this the cylinder head case is on the side.

Thanks for any help.

John

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
You could also blow a little compressed air into the hole and see if you feel it coming out around the sparkplug. I'm betting you will.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
There's always the straw and deep breath method :).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I looked at mine last night and I also have a threaded hole in that spot. There is nothing screwed into it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I looked at mine last night and I also have a threaded hole in that spot. There is nothing screwed into it.
The fact that I had no parts left over after I reassembled everything, and that I don't remember taking a bolt out from that spot gives me hope that I may have found the problem.

As Buffalo has suggested, I'll be checking the spark plug this morning. If I find oil I'll take the valve cover off and go from there. If I've not destroyed the small cylinder head gasket, I'll be able to fix it. If it is destroyed I'll have to order the part and wait another week before I can ride again. To bad, my wife is going on a trip the next week and I was hoping to get some serious riding in.

Oh well, live and learn!

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Pulled the spark plug and it's dripping in oil. It would appear Buffalo was correct and I've got to set the small cylinder gasket properly, or replace it as needed.

So, off to tear into the valve cover and make things right.

Thanks again,

John

1 - 20 of 37 Posts