Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my scooter seems to be stuck in first gear I just bought a used 2009 Suzuki burgman 650. It doesn't seem to get out of first gear, I tried cleaning and lubing the center stand plunger and that didn't work. when I change it to Manuel and I try to shift from 1 to 2 the "1" light blinks. Please help me fix this and ideas would help.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Is the connection to the center stand switch good?

The speed sensor on the rear drive housing could have a bad connection or it may have failed.

·
Registered
438 Posts
how do I check the connection, where is it at
Under the right side of the bike, near the exhaust, there is a plunger-type switch that is pushed in when the bike goes on the stand. It is supposed to pop out when the bike comes off the stand, but can get jammed under the U-shaped gizmo that protects it from damage, especially if the bike has been high-centered on an obstacle. Use a large flat screwdriver to pop it out, and you should be fine. My switch sticks. It had me confounded the first time it happened,

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Yes a stuck center stand switch is the most common reason for this problem. It's a good idea to clean and lube the plunger on the switch when you change oil. I spray mine with WD40 to clean it then with chain lube to lubricate it.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Yes a stuck center stand switch is the most common reason for this problem. It's a good idea to clean and lube the plunger on the switch when you change oil. I spray mine with WD40 to clean it then with chain lube to lubricate it.
In my case, I got high-centered and bent the U-shaped ring that sits over the switch, just enough that the plunger gets hung up after the stand is put up. It's easy to pop out, but rather alarming the first time it happens.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Before proceeding any further I'll ask one question. Do you have a FI indicator showing on the dash. That indicator is like the check engine light on a car. It tells you the ECM is getting a bad reading from one of the sensors. If you don't have that light then read on.

If the plunger is not stuck then diagnosis becomes more problematic. It could range from the switch being bad to a problem inside the CVT. Your going to have to eliminate things one at a time until you find the problem.

Cheapest and easiest to check is a bad center stand switch. Good news is that all you have to do is unplug the switch. With it out of the circuit the bike should shift normally if there is no other problem. Bad news is that you are going to have to remove some body panels to unplug it. The plug is under the floor board cover and you have to remove that cover to get to it. Once you have the cover out of the way you can follow the wire up from the center stand to the plug and unplug it. LeDude's - Burgman Center will give you instructions on how to remove the floor board. https://sites.google.com/site/testburgmancenter02/

Since you will likely have the bike on the center stand when you do this you can just test it there without having to ride it. Start the engine and rev it up then try changing ratios in manual mode. If they change then the switch is bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts