Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please guys help me out. I am a 26yo guy who is really thinking about a 650 Burg. So many things about it impress me but I'm still on the fence. I've owned 600cc sportbikes in the past and have loved them however have hated riding for 90+ min for my daily (one way commute).

Will I be disappointed with the lack of power by comparison?

Is it too fat to split lanes?

High speed handling??

Being seen on a scooter????

I am so close to buying it. Give me a push...
You all seem to be the experts.

:wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hey there: I went from a fully decked-out GSXR 600 to a Burgman. Although I did enjoy the Sportbike and its awesome power/handling and sharp/fast looks, I woke up one day with a good dose of reality and got the Burgman. I do not regret it one little bit.

To answer your questions:

Will I be disappointed with the lack of power by comparison?

Unless you like to drive 3 digits (mph) all the time and wheelie, the answer is No -- Burgman 650 has plenty of power for the streets. You will still outrun most other vehicles, most of the time. The fact that you don't fiddle with clutch/gear changing anymore makes the two-wheeled riding experience more enjoyable now. You know that "free" feeling when you are on a bicycle, going downhill with no need to pedal? That's it!

Is it too fat to split lanes?

On the 650, the sidemirrors extend out enough to risk clipping sidemirrors on cars, so yes, it's a tad bit too fat to comfortaby split lanes. The solution: stop lane-splitting OR buy the OEM auto-folding mechanism from Japan ($350) - I predict there will be enough demand here in the US that this will be made available to us sooner or later.

High speed handling??

Well, the Burgman is no GSXR :D But handling is just perfect for NORMAL street/freeway use, and even the curvy mountains roads. It's an all around bike, just don't take it to a race track or off-road :shock:

Being seen on a scooter????

I think the Burgman looks great. I don't give a rat's @$$ what others think :lol:

Hope that helps :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi ETFink,

Were you at the dealer yesterday (Friday) with your wife looking at the 650 while I was buying the 400?

I think that 650 has been on the showroom floor for a long time judging from the fact that it has a Jan 2003 manufacture data plate. It's more machine than anyone on the island can ever use, but if you're in the Navy (the guy I briefly talked to), you'll be going stateside eventually and will certainly be able to take advantage of the extra power and amenities of the bigger machine. I bought the 400 because I intend to keep it here on Oahu forever.

I don't think you will regret buying a Burgman, no matter which model. It is the "Cadillac" of scooters IMHO. It's really bargain priced for all the features it has and the reliability appears to be exceptional. Even the guys who have documented some gripes elsewhere on this blog will concede that it is a great machine. If you got the moola, go for it.

Hawaii is the greatest place to own and operate a two-wheeler. All year riding and warm liquid sunshine (rain) from time to time. Just have to stay along the coast to stay dry. I have lived (and worked outdoors) in Limestone, ME, Syracuse, NY, Knobnoster, MO so have a great deal of empathy for our bretheren in the north who are in hibernation.

My new scoot is still at the dealer even tho it was sunny today. I just didn't have time to get on down there to pick it up. Am paving a small area alongside of our condo building to park it. Suzuki dealer is closed Sun and Mon, so I should be ready on Tuesday to bring it home to roost.

Hauoli Makahiki Hou

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
All I can say is that after a 90 minute ride on my 650 there is no sign of fatigue or numbing of the fingers. The only problems I have are sore cheeks from grinning all the time.
Just recently I had a guy on a GSXR1000 pull up beside me at the lights. He came from Italy and thought my Scooter was just awesome.At the very next light I had an SUV pull upbeside me and the guy in the car commented on how nice the machine looked and asked if it was a BMW. :lol: Put it this way , some people will like it , some will hate it, but it only matters what you think.
Oh and 1 other thing that I really enjoy. Your 90 minute commute is going to be so much better not wearing a backpack anymore. The underseat storage is just amazing.......I don't miss my backpack 1 bit.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Push Me

We don't think you will have any regrets in buying the machine. If you like the look of it, what does it matter what other people think. I have a biker friend who won't even sit on any Suzuki, crazy friend, but its her loss.

I would not lane split on mine unless it was a good long back up and the traffic was moving very slowly, but you can do it.

On the power side, I don't know what a 600 sport feels like, but the Burgman can move if I want her to. Very impressed with the two up handling (only got about 10 miles solo on her) and we seem to hang well over on tight corners.

Regards

Randal and Gail

·
Registered
44 Posts
To buy or not to buy

Hey listen up guy's
I had a Honda CBR 1100 (169bhp)that would top out at 186mph. I went to my local Susuki dealer and had a 20minuite test ride on a Burger650 ,that was on the Monday.It is now Monday one week later and i have my Burger 650 sat on the drive,I went and swoped my Super bike for tha Burger650.
She is every thing I could want.65mpg,realy quick of the mark and handles as well in the bends as my Honda did.I have had her cruising at 118mph and she was as steady as a rock.
I carn't say to much mate about the bike , do yourself a favour and go and get one. By the way the silver ones are the fastest Ha Ha Ha.
Let me know how you get on.

redbird 2

1 - 6 of 6 Posts