Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I appears that the lower section must come off to get at the back rivets on the top piece.

It appears that there are 2 rivets underneath holding the lower section to the side section.

Are there any other whole sections, rivets, etc. that must come out first?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Rivets

If you depress the center of the rivet gently about 1/8" it will disengage. Simply use your finger nails to pull it straight up. If you put slight pressure evenly on each side of the rivet with your nail it will come up easily and should not break.

I just installed both pieces last week. I believe I installed the lower portion first then the top so you would remove the top first. The two black rivets are under the seat edge. If I remember the bottom portion of the top just snaps onto the lower portion so be careful not to break the tabs. I believe these are the only portions you need to remove to install the top case but I am not positive.

Do you have the shop manual? There are great pictures of the process of removing/reinstalling the plastics. If you are gentle and patient it will go smoothly, quickly and painlessly!

If you don't have the shop manual I would be happy to scan the pertinent pages and fax or e-mail them to you.

Best of luck,

Dee

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Fran, that guy on eBay with the $36 shop manuals has an auction going on now. I bought one & can tell you with certainty that his book is of better quality than the ones from Suzuki! Just search on Burgman, & you'll find it, no problem.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately, I've already made the purchase from AZ Motorsports - no telling when it will arrive - and we don't need 2 copies.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Is there enough similarities that the manual on ebay would work for the 2005 AN650. Most of the things that I see are for the 03 - 05 650. Will this thing suffice?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Nabob said:
Is there enough similarities that the manual on ebay would work for the 2005 AN650. Most of the things that I see are for the 03 - 05 650. Will this thing suffice?
Most of the service on the '05s is the same as the '03s. For the differences in the '05s, Suzuki has a supplement out.

You could probably get either the OEM Suzuki manual or this E-Bay one, and then the supplement, and be all set.

HTH.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Re: Rivets

ScubaGirl said:
snip
I just installed both pieces last week. I believe I installed the lower portion first then the top so you would remove the top first. The two black rivets are under the seat edge. If I remember the bottom portion of the top just snaps onto the lower portion so be careful not to break the tabs. I believe these are the only portions you need to remove to install the top case but I am not positive.

snip
Its the other way round Dee, the lower section must be removed first and replaced last - sorry! :)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We managed to get everything apart and back together without breaking anything :lol: We just can't figure out how one is supposed to reach the little buggers and then how you are supposed to push them out :!:

Removing the first one on the handlebars, I could JUST BARELY reach with my index finger. I put a plastic thimble on my finger and punched a hole in it trying to push the pin :!: I was finally able to wiggle a screwdriver sort of close by flexing some of the plastic. I did break the point off one of the rivets, but there is still enough for it to work in both directions, we just have to be careful not to have it fall out and get lost.

Removing the ones under the rear panel, Nan crawled under the bike, on its centerstand, and she was able to reach with a screwdriver, blind, while I palpated the rivet to determine if she was on it. She was able to push it through, eventually, though the first one bent a little.

From the previous posts I've read, it seems that everybody else just reaches in with a finger and pushes :shock: Not my finger :!: I read about the "tool" a bolt with a couple of nuts to limit depth. How does one get said tool lined up in position and then apply adequate force - in the right direction - to pop the litle rivet :?:

I visualize a small flat tool, like a bicycle tire iron with a "dimple" drilled into an end, approximating the taper of the pointy end. Then it is just a matter of figuring out how to get it in place and how to apply adequate force.

Has anybody spritzed any WD-40 on the rivet to loosen it up :?: I'm looking for any trick to do this well.

BTW, are the rivets sold by JCW comparable to these :?: Are they a good replacement when the unthinkable happens :?: I want to have a "few" in hand when next we remove tupperware :!:

Maybe this should have been a new post...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts