Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the 650 out for a nice 200 mile ride today, only 375 miles on it now. I can not say anything bad about my 2012 400 that I traded it was a great ride. But I can praise the 2013 650:p man what a ride. It is so much better on the highway at speeds and in the mountains it is not as wobbly in the turns. It is really planted when you ride. It still has the same problems the 400 had, hard seat and poor screen. I put a givi af466 on the 400 and it was great, the seat I used a air hawk and on the 400 worked great. With the 650 I plan to do more long distance travel. The longest trip on the 400 was 1600 miles. It was all on back roads, rt 50. I have narrowed down the wind screen to a Givi D3104st or the large Clear view. The only problem I see with the Givi is the 4.7 inch increase in height the seam will be right at eye level.And the Clear View I don't know if they make them yet. As for the seat I have read here that the Russell seat is the way to go. If any other suggestions that would be great. I would like to complete the bike by the end of June so I can take it for a long ride.
One last question, do all the 650 transmissions wine like mine does, some times it is louder than the engine, seems like it has straight cut gears in it. It does it on acel and decel but not in a float.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
It's not the transmission that is whining. It is the gears in the final drive and yes they are straight cut gears.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will they quiet down after some miles and an fluid change, I see the 650 takes a 90 wt gear oil gl-4 or 5 and the 400 took 10-40

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
They never guiet down totally. Some folks say synthetic gear lube helps. That is what I run in mine and to me it does seem to help some. I run Valvoline 75W-90 synthetic.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I bought my new 2013 Burg 650 last Wednesday. Put 600 miles on it and did the first service myself Yesterday. So far I'm very happy with it, my only complaint being the seat which sucks after 100 miles or so. I would also like to try another windshield as the stock one is just a bit too low even it the fully up position. My does wine a bit as well.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
the standard Clearview then should work. It's 1.5" taller and 3.5" wider...superb but order it with the vent.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My '09 had a pronounced whine around 60 mph.
I switched to full syn. all round. Also pulled the rear wheel and found very little moly lube in the final drive so cleaned it up and applied a good coating of Honda Moly Paste.
Whether it was the full syn., moly lube, or a combination of the two ...... whine gone.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just got off the phone with Clear View and Russel seats, Clear View said they have had a lot of request for the 2013 650 but no plans till the end of the summer. Russel seats are on a end of July shipping date. Bummer! well it looks like the Givi for a temp windscreen and the old air hawk for the seat. Thanks for all the responses

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I just changed all the oils in mine. Used synthetic. Gear whine is much quieter now but I hear the main shaft in the transmission while sitting at stop lights much louder. If mine wasn't an '09 I would swear that mine was making the famous diesel sound that the early bikes made.

Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for your help, will do the 600 service with all synthetic amsoil next week only have to ride it 300 more miles this week

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
If mine wasn't an '09 I would swear that mine was making the famous diesel sound that the early bikes made.
Have you made sure the adapter bolt isn't loose?

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>my only complaint being the seat which sucks after 100 miles or so<<

Hah, at my age they all suck after 50 miles! tsk tsk

·
Registered
243 Posts
just got off the phone with Clear View and Russel seats, Clear View said they have had a lot of request for the 2013 650 but no plans till the end of the summer. Russel seats are on a end of July shipping date. Bummer! well it looks like the Givi for a temp windscreen and the old air hawk for the seat. Thanks for all the responses
Clearview has been making empty promises to me since last July when I traded in my 2011 650 on a 2013. The windshield is totally different, so I had to leave my Clearview behind. Back then they said it was coming soon. Fast forward to a week ago, and their email reply was that the windshield was ready to market, but they were still working on the trim fascia, and it should be only another couple of weeks. If Givi offered the same vent, I'd be there tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Clearview is a small organization with a small staff. It takes them a while to develop new products.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Have you made sure the adapter bolt isn't loose?
I guess I will now have to go out and check it. Thanks MJR.

Doug from Kentucky

1 - 17 of 17 Posts