Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Burgmaniacs. I have an '03 650 with 8,500 miles. Today I was riding with my daughter in clear conditions at 40 mph at 64 degrees Fahrenheit (in case that matters) and the engine and dash "rebooted" with a stutter as if the key had been shut off. It lasted only 1/2 a second, but it proceeded to do it again 4 times in the next 2 minutes. I proceeded home very concerned, as this may turn out to be an intermittant problem that the dealer may never see when I take it to them and try to use my extended warranty. Does anyone else have any experience with this issue? I really want to tour with my Burgy again but now I have lost trust in it :(

-Seeker

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
That is not at all normal. It sounds like you have an electrical short. You need to have it diagnosed and fixed. I had a similar issue with a BMW motorcycle once. It would not exhibit the problem of course whenever I brought it in to the shop. On the third visit, I leaned on them pretty hard. Mechanic took it out for a 20 mile ride - and it stranded him. He found the problem that day. It could be nothing more than a loose connector - the problem is finding it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
short?

Pauljo,
I figured it was a short. I am hoping that somebody else had the same problem, so I could point my dealer in the right direction. Since this bike is basically a computer with 2 pistons inside, a short could be in one of a million areas!

Bummed.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: short?

seeker said:
...Since this bike is basically a computer with 2 pistons inside, a short could be in one of a million areas!
The first place I'd check would be the battery cable connections.

Other than that, I can't offer any advice other than to let your dealer check it with their dignostic equipment.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts

Brian said:
If only the display turned off and back on, but the scooter ran O.K., then it couldn't have been the main battery connections. The bike would have hesitated because it wouldn't have been making any spark, either. If it was just the display, then it'd more likely be a wire connection just to the display.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts

frugality said:
Brian said:
If only the display turned off and back on, but the scooter ran O.K., then it couldn't have been the main battery connections. The bike would have hesitated because it wouldn't have been making any spark, either. If it was just the display, then it'd more likely be a wire connection just to the display.
Yep, that's why when seeker said, "...the engine and dash "rebooted" with a stutter as if the key had been shut off" I thought of the battery leads.

If it was the Kill Switch, I would think the engine would stutter but the dash would stay lit (and "CHEC" would appear in place of the odometer), and if it was just a wire to the dash then I would think the dash might flash but the engine would keep running fine.

Since it was both, I thought "main power supply." The Burgman is so complex, though, and with so many interconnected systems (some of which don't seem to have any logical connection to each other) that that's really just a stab in the dark. I have no expertise in Burgman electronics.

Now that I have thought about it a bit more, though, I wonder if it could be the ignition switch. A little contact cleaner and working the key back and forth might be all it needs.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Oh Dear - this will be a simple fault and a real bugger to find.

The dash is I believe an integralpart of the CVT system in terms of logic so an outage there will affect the engine/transmission behaviour.

You will probably need the services of a good auto-electrician (not necessarily the dealer) but do the simple stuff first - like fuses.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just off the top of my head, could it be a sticky sidestand or centrestand switch? Or the centrestand springs might need lubricating?

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't think the sidestand switch would kill the dash. I agree with the battery lead camp; second would be the ignition switch, possibly. Also, the bike will run on the centerstand.

Sounds like a vexing and dangerous problem. I hear the Prius is suffering from much the same thing. Bummer.

WLB :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts