adjust valves
new variator halves
change oil
new clutch hub bearing
new spark plug

Sometime since then, it developed:
Uneven idle, up and down several hundred RPM
Occasionally will die after a "hot soak" when idling

I followed Haynes instructions for: adjust IAC and TP sensors. Checked for air leaks, NONE. Wiggled all connectors.

There are NO codes.

To help things, I turned the idle up with the set screw.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
What seems to help when my 400 does not hold it's idle is a throttle idle reset. Plug the dealer mode switch in the connector under the instrument cluster on the right side, turn the switch on, hold the throttle wide open, turn the ignition to the on position, hold for 10 seconds, turn ignition off, turn dealer mode switch off and unplug it.

Reactions: s-steel

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir, I made my own FI switch and did the procedure, I think it helped some.
I haven't figured out how to adjust the throttle stop set screw, since I messed with it.
Would it be like my 97 Saturn, you adjust it so it JUST keeps the throttle from getting stuck in the throttle body.
At any rate, the bike seems to be running OK.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2008 AN400 with 45,000 miles
F1 light on. Code 40 = idle air control valve.
Can you test it? $150 at "cheap" cycle parts :oops:
Any ideas? I'd buy one if I KNEW that was the prob.
Oh, bike runs all right with F1 light on, the idle is lousy though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2008 AN400
45,000 miles

In January, did major service at 43,601 miles:
adjust valves
new variator halves
change oil
new clutch hub bearing
new spark plug

Sometime since then, it developed:
Uneven idle, up and down several hundred RPM
Occasionally will die after a "hot soak" when idling

I followed Haynes instructions for: adjust IAC and TP sensors. Checked for air leaks, NONE. Wiggled all connectors.

There are NO codes.

To help things, I turned the idle up with the set screw.

Any ideas?
I have 2006 AN400 exhibits same symptoms. Bought it used recently, didnt act up on my test ride. Of course seller said he knew nothing about it, when I asked a week later:rolleyes:
I took mine to local shop, got for just $120

New spark plug
fresh air filter and cleaned box
Throttle body cleaned
checked for air leaks
belt checked
oil/filter changed
Idle adjust up to 1800

at 1st It was idling at 1500, would drop to 1100 or so and sometimes die, then pop back up to 1500 and cycle that way. Now it idles at 1800, drops to 1500, still the up/down idle cycle, but has not died. Kind of a workaround, but still not right. Shows no codes. Its still aggravating, but not as dangerous because its hasnt died at a traffic stop, like it did before. Wish I knew what to tell ya, but dont know. I do feel your pain!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
There is no idle air control valve in the service manual. Code 40 is for the ISC valve. Idle speed control valve. Do you have a service manual? It is section 1A-55.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I had the same issie. Would sometimes out of nowhere drop idle rpm at a light. A few times **** off and I could restart it. Sometimes when id slow down in a sharp turn it would just shut off even before completely slowing down. Other times it just idled well. I tried using some injector cleaner consistently afterwards . But thw pos always had some other issue

Its supoosed to run 1200rpm idle I believe. +/- that throttle body is just bad news. Personally id buy a new injector first and see if that helps. Do the gas filter mod in the sticky as well

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the ISC, sorry.... I'll try to test (ohms).

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
UH-OH. The ISC tests ok, 80 ohms as FSM shows.

Could it still be faulty? On to other tests......

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I tested wired from ECU, all are good. Might clean the throttle body, install, and try it.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wires, not wired.....

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Follow Up: put it back together. Adjusted throttle until it was Just Closed and not touching the TB. No more FI light. But the idle is about 2,000. I'll live with it.
Dealer said, run it for a while, sometimes the ECU will "re-learn" what it's supposed to do.
(Dealer service dept is backed up a MONTH). Covid 19 I suppose.
Annoying but I won't pay $160 for a new ISC.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Do the gas filter mod in the sticky as well"
Yes, earlier this year I took out the fuel pump, the mesh basket was black with crud. I cleaned it very well. Didn't seem to make a difference, but I feel better :)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
good job!! hopefully maybe it will clean itself out and stabilize. you try some seafoam or injector cleaner?

" Didn't seem to make a difference, but I feel better "
some things are preventative and wont make any change in the feel. I never noticed any significant change to changing a plug or even air filter. maybe cause I replace them before their time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts