Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
GEOBOISE said:
Is there a place on the outside to lock a helmut?
Yes. On the 650 there is a looped wire cable supplied that hooks over a couple of steel posts under the seat. With the seat closed, the helmet is locked. It is a little inconvenient - I only use it when touring (my trunk would be full in that case). I believe the 400 has a similar arrangement.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
If the 650 is the same as the 400 the "hook" is useless without the wire which I have never heard of b4 now!
I took a grinder to the two "ears" on the hook and can now hang the helmet by the metal rings.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The wire is located in the 650's tool kit. It looks so flimsy I think you could cut it with a good sharp pair of scissors :!:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It is better than leaving your helmet sit on the seat or handlebars. It will defeat a quick grab & run. I would not leave a helmet attached that way for an extended time. But if you are touring & stop at a convenience store or rest area - it works.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Randy said:
If the 650 is the same as the 400 the "hook" is useless without the wire which I have never heard of b4 now!
I took a grinder to the two "ears" on the hook and can now hang the helmet by the metal rings.
I use the hook for one helmet, and the wire for two. It took a while to figure out how to get the D-ring of my chin strap over the ears of the hook, but now it's second nature. The ears make it more difficult for someone to just "lift" the helemt off the posts and slide the strap out from under the seat.

Like Paul, I only do this when the trunk is full of other gear. If it's empty then it will hold two helmets with room to spare.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Brian wrote
It took a while to figure out how to get the D-ring of my chin strap over the ears of the hook, but now it's second nature.
I tried for a few minutes and gave up. :oops:
Anyway, the locked seat stops anyone from removing the helmet,
the ears would seem to just make it harder.
If I could figure out how to get the "D" ring over it. :(

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would think only Houdini himself could remove intact a helmet with its D rind is placed over the hook with the seat locked - even with the ears removed. It is quite secure.

You can attach the loop once and leave it attached semi-permantly. It easily tucks into a space under the seat when not in use with the seat in the down position. That way you don't need to do any modifications, or worry about it being fiddly to take out the tool kit before you can stow your helmet, etc. I believe that this is the intended use pattern, and that it is so that the wire loop doesn't come of due to vibration that the ears were designed into the hook. My 650 was delivered with the loop already in place.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The worst part of having one stolen would be getting home. If you have a helmet law there would be a cop at every corner.
I had my wife drop me off at the repair shop to pick up my bike & as I watched her drive off I remembered my helmet was in the back of the car.
I had to borrow one, ride fifteen miles home to get a spare & ride back to return the one I borrowed. I think it might be useful to keep a spare
minimum sized one in the storage space just in case you get ripped off or maybe need to give someone a ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts