Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably I'm not the first one who asks this question, but what helmets do you wear? 3/4 or full-face? I've been shopping for a new helmet for a rather long time and finally bought Arai sz/m Ram II. I was thinking about a full-face, like Arai Signet, but I feel sort of claustrophobic in a full-face.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I always have worn the full face. I am going to buy a modular style next, probably a Nolan N1000E Classic. I don't feel safe in a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet. I used to get that claustrophobic feeling, but got used to it after a couple months.

·
Registered
367 Posts
JD said:
I always have worn the full face. I am going to buy a modular style next, probably a Nolan N1000E Classic. I don't feel safe in a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet. I used to get that claustrophobic feeling, but got used to it after a couple months.
If I might make a suggestion, see if your dealer will let you try it on the road, leave your credit card or money or something and try the helmet at speed.
The reason that I suggest this is that some of the modular helmets are noisey depending on the conditions.
I wear a HJC Sy-Max and if it is out in the wind with no wind screen it is pretty quiet, with the stock wind screen I get a headache from all the noise, with the taller Suzuki wind screen huge head buffeting and but just a little less noise and finally with my Clearview XXL some wind noise from cross winds.
Now my point isn't that the Sy-Max is noisey, some people have said that it is, just that different rider positions and conditions will change things and the only way you are going toknow is if you try it at speed.
I love the comfort of my Sy-Max, the visors are easy to switch and I can ride for hours with it on today.

Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have a Sy Max and I love it. It's very comforible and my neck doesn't get tired from waring the helmet. The shield is very easy to take on or off. Just to levers to move and the shield slides right off. It is noisy on the highway. If I'm riding around town the wind noise is fine. I like the flip up because I have glasses to take on and off. Another nice feature is when riding around town I open just the shield and can get some fresh air. The full face is to diffcult for someone who wares glasses in my opinion.

·
Registered
925 Posts
[/quote]

If I might make a suggestion, see if your dealer will let you try it on the road, leave your crdit card or money or something and try the helmet at speed.

We have the Nolan in stock here at the shop where I work. I already took a 50 mile ride with it and loved it, not very much wind noise :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
I recently bought a 3/4 Arai sz/lg Ram II.
It fits like I was born with it.
Noise levels and vents are great.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I have an HJC CL-14 full face. Sort of a "Chevrolet" of helmets (I'd guess...). Does the job. Looks good. Face shield ratchet mechanism is a bit weak (won't stay cracked open at 60mph with the stock windshield.) Not that expensive. Fits my watermelon head and doesn't seem to mess up my doo that bad. Easy strap ops also. Doesn't seem too noisy to me, but then again, I like noise! Wind, music, pipes, engine, birds tweeting etc!

Just wish I'd get a routine with the glasses thing! :D

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I wear full face helmets (and glasses). No problem. I do often keep the visor cracked open a notch for added ventilation. When going slow (around town) or stopping for a light I open the visor fully. This technique might help folks who think a full face helmet could be claustrophobic. At high speeds (60 mph plus) I shut the visor completely to minimize wind noise - at those speeds the helmet vent system provides sufficient ventilation. I also use light smoke tinted visors to cut down on the sun's rays.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have and wear both, but recently I seem to be using the 3/4 more and more.
I figure it will keep the brain matter in and it don't matter if I get uglier :(

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Maxim, I have only about 3,300 mile experience but I appreciate my HJC CL MAX helmet. The full face protection has warded off a number of little pebbles the size of a honey bee. It's really an experience when I can see those things zipping just above the Burgs windscreen right to my sight line and then collides with the helmet shield. The loud whack tells me my glasses probably would not protect my eyeball very well. I've had a bug spatter on the shield I was happy to stop and wipe off. It's better than digging one out of my eye. I was a little clausterphobic at first, put it on, walked around the neighborhood a while and beat the demon. No problem now except the neighbors are keeping a closer eye on me since then. Neal

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
I have several helmets and my favorites are the HJC CL Max and the Zeus modular. The Zeus is noisier than the HJC but seems to fit better. I seldom wear the 1/2 helmet or 3/4 helmet. I also have a Vega full helmet and have a hard time getting used to it.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
In 30+ years of riding I have only used a 3/4 helmet (currently HJC x 2) and a half helmet (Bell Shorty - old cruiser style which I loved and let go with my last my last cycle). I am looking for new helmets presently as my old (approx. 15 YO) are getting kinda ratty in the lining and outer finish but otherwise safe & sound - just unattractive . . . I will try on all styles but would like two differing styles, a shorty for short hops and low speed joyriding and modular or full face for touring/traveling/high speed use. I know some would say that I should stay with one - a full face for maximum protection, but as an old rider, I am kind set in my ways.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Just got a HJC CL-MAX, so far it's comfortable, time will tell.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
WeeWilly said:
I will try on all styles but would like two differing styles, a shorty for short hops and low speed joyriding and modular or full face for touring/traveling/high speed use. I know some would say that I should stay with one - a full face for maximum protection, but as an old rider, I am kind set in my ways.
I wear a Scorpion EXO-700 full face helmet on long rides when I'm not planning on having to talk to other riders along the way. It's relatively light and quiet, and very comfortable even on long rides, for my roundish-shaped head. I also have a Fulmer M1 Modus Modular. I really like this one, too, for the modular part, but I don't find the inside is as comfortable or as plush as the Scorpion. A few hours with this one and I'm wishing I'd worn the Scorpion.

I don't want to start that old helmet debate, so won't. I'm totally set in my ways, as well.
I had a zero-miles-per-hour wreck with a 1/2 helmet + shield, and if I hadn't turned my head just as I hit the concrete, I wouldn't have a jaw, so I can't speak to shorty helmets.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I'm just the opposite. The Fulmer M1 Modus Modular is the only helmet I found so far (in a XXXL size) that's comfortable for an extended period of time. I'm wondering if the Fulmer M1 correctly fits your head shape?

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Did you know that none of the modulars that flip up are Snell approved? They are only DOT approved. I was told it is because the mechanism that opens them is located at the temple. Just passing on what I was told, no flaming please... LOL :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
fuzzyquilter said:
I was told it is because the mechanism that opens them is located at the temple.
if you're talking about the latch itself, whoever told you that is completely wrong. if they're talking about the hinge, they're still wrong but it's understandable as it appears to be near the temple. Just to be absolutely sure I went and took a close look at my Fulmar Modus M1 modular helmet.

As for Snell helmets being safer, I really have to wonder since they certify a ton of open face helmets.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
fuzzyquilter said:
Did you know that none of the modulars that flip up are Snell approved? They are only DOT approved. I was told it is because the mechanism that opens them is located at the temple. Just passing on what I was told, no flaming please... LOL :D
Faye, I was concerned about the modulars not being Snell approved, as well. I did a whole bunch of research into that debate, and found that the sort of blow addressed by the two different approvals involves quite different approaches. Personally, I feel comfortable with the results for the DOT test approvals, but my concern was the latching mechanisms on the modulars. I did more research on that, as well, and decided on the Fulmer since it (and some others) have metal-to-metal latches, instead of simply matching plastic contacts.

Bill, I don't think the fit is the problem with my Fulmer, but rather, it's the plushness of the interior. I think I'm spoiled by the padding in the Scorpion, especially in the top of the helmet.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
If the shape of the Scorpion is similar to the Modus, I'd be really interested in trying one out. It's highly unlikely that I'll find a dealer that stocks the model/color (neon) I want ... especially in a XXXL:

http://shopping.scorpionusa.com/C55D9C0 ... D98B064186

I rarely find XXXL helmets in stock and have to prepay for them to special order one.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts