Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Motorcycle Consumer News did a comparison of Modular Helmets back in their April 2004 issue. The only thing they didn't like was that the Jarrow weighed the most of any of the helmets they tested. I have a Nolan N100E and would NOT recommend it. The shield scratches real easily. I think I would stick with an HJC Sy-max or a Shoei Syncrotec. I have full face helmets from both and really like them. The HJC is the lowest price also.
Dean

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
As far as "flip ups" go ,
you may want to check the Zeuse at under 100 dollars it leaves a lot left over for other goodies :D

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Neat helmet sunshade

I found this in my meanderings in cyberspace.

It's a velco attached polarized sunshade that goes onto the outside of a full face or open face faceshield.
Easily removed and stores flat.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/polar-op ... optics.htm

The reviews are good, with the possible exception of the mirror coated version.

I'm thinking it might work well with this Bell helmet which I like.
The open face Mag-8
http://www.thebellstore.com/Helmets/mag8.html

My line of site while sitting on the 650 is just above the edge of the windshield so I don't see my face freezing unless I ride all winter.
Highly unlikely. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Flip ups

wrecruiser said:
Motorcycle Consumer News did a comparison of Modular Helmets back in their April 2004 issue. The only thing they didn't like was that the Jarrow weighed the most of any of the helmets they tested. I have a Nolan N100E and would NOT recommend it. The shield scratches real easily. I think I would stick with an HJC Sy-max or a Shoei Syncrotec. I have full face helmets from both and really like them. The HJC is the lowest price also.
Dean
Thanks Dean,

I like the sy-max, read the reviews.
If I don't go open face (my preference), I will have to go flip up, because I get claustophobic in a full face.

I realize if I do a one point landing on my chin an open face is not much protection, but at least with the mag-8 I would have the face shield down (most of the time anyway).

The only quip I have with the flip ups is the weight. (and with some, the cost)

Still penny pinching, saving for my Burg. :)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zeus

Randy said:
you may want to check the Zeuse at under 100 dollars it leaves a lot left over for other goodies :D
Right Randy,

Dollar for dollar, according to the reviews I read, you can't beat a Zeus.
Not perfect, but which helmet is?
None that I have read about anyway. :(

The thing that impressed my about the Zeus was that any minor imperfections are easily remedied, because it is built well and is very simple to tweak.
The customer service seems VERY impessive too.

As a few others have said, after a few years for one reason or another, people buy new helmets anyway, so it seems a shame to tie up several hundred after tax dollars in a lid.
As long as it's DOT approved and comfortable, it works for me.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Rick,

The best advice I can give on helmets is to go try them on. No matter how many features it has or what price it costs, if the helmet isn't comfortable you've wasted your money.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't pinch pennies when it comes to buying helmets. There's gotta be a reason why the Zeus costs only $100, but I don't want to hear about it when someone finds out :shock:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'd like to add some advice in buying a helmet. I recently bought a Fulmer flip-up, and it fit_great_ in the showroom. I wear a 3XL, and the only one they had in my size was white. So getting one in my bike's color (silver) meant a special order.

I was happy as could be the day my new headgear arrived. Since I was on crutches, I brought it home in a cage, and then took it out for a ride just as soon as I felt healthy enough. It was _still_ great...

...until I got going fast enough-- about 30 MPH-- for the cyclonic wind-screaming generated by the motion of air over the helmet to begin assaulting my ears.

It was incredibly loud, so I tried to take the thing back. The dealer would not take it, because it was (due to its size) a special-order item. I gave, if memory serves, about $150 for it.

Obviously, I still have this helmet. I even still wear it in wet and windy weather, for lack of anything else. It's a very nice helmet save for the screeching banshees, and I don't doubt the dealer when he assures me that generally Fulmer is a very decent brand and that he gets few complaints. I may even be able to get good, pleasant wear out of it should I decide to fit a higher windscreen and take my head directly out of the main blast, something I'm still trying to make up my mind about.

(Ear plugs, if anyone was going to suggest them, are a non-starter. I've tried wearing the things while riding, and they literally make me go to sleep in the saddle. This is probably becasue I've worn the things to bed every night for almost twenty years now, due to being a night worker and needing the protection in order to sleep through the normal noise of daytime. It seems to be a learned, physical response.)

So, learn from my mistake. Try to actually test-ride your helmet _at speed_ before you buy it. There's more to a good helmet match than just physical fit.

While on the subject, does anyone know of a good anti-fog product for the inside of a visor?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Lapine Rider said:
Try to actually test-ride your helmet _at speed_ before you buy it. There's more to a good helmet match than just physical fit.
Yes, you are absolutely right. Unfortunately, many dealers don't allow helmet test rides. I bought one last Spring that had an annoying loud whistle at speed. I brought it back the next day and asked for a refund. They did take it back and refunded my money.

From what I've read, all of the flip-up helmets tend to be noisier than the standard full face helmets. But if you must have a flip-up, I'm sure there are differences in noise level between the different brands. I also don't like wearing earplugs when I ride, so I try to find the quietest helmet possible.

·
Registered
969 Posts
My HJC is a real pain-in-the-ears, but I put up with the noise for the convenience it offers (I wear glasses - it's the only way to go). I usually wear ear plugs or ear buds (radio) on a long ride.
Steve

·
Registered
10 Posts
lilleyen said:
I like this helmet!

http://www.flipopen.com/products/mono_x ... etails.php

Anybody have any feedback on it?

A bit pricey though.

Hi Rick
This helmet is very popular in UK and it cost £149(US$285).Me and my wife had one each,She loved it so much because of the built in tinted sun visor,but I've sold mine on ebay,because I found it too heavy and the clear visor pops down on itself very often but my wife's doesn't.

This helmet is very good if you ride a scooter,but with some wind noise and fog free visor will lose its fog free protection after a few months.

Joe

·
Registered
240 Posts
Randy said:
Just make sure that you don't get the S model -- it is for snowmobile and there is a gap on the top of the visor when it is closed. otherwise, it is pretty nice for the price. I have a symax as well. for M size, the symax is a snugger fit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Just to add my 2 cents, the HJC Sys-Max is a really comfortable helmet but it is noisy. If you are out in the wind.
I found that with the standard wind screen the roaring was really bad and I would assume that a none flip would be quieter than the Sys-Max. The wind roar from the hinge area is pretty bad.
I cured it with a Clearview XXL but that isn't the solution for everybody.
Other than the noise, now gone behind the Clearview, the helmet is very comfortable. I am wearing an XL which fits very snugly and it is a pleasure to wear it for hours.
So I would recommend it if you are out of the wind, may cut down on the vent effectiveness but sure makes riding more fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts