Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere in one of the posts this evening somebody mentioned a sun visor add on for thier helmet. This piqued my interest as I was thinking it would be nice to have a sun visor for my helmet, but didn't really want to have to keep changing back & forth between clear & tinted. This post intimated, but did not say outright that the visor described was either an exterior add on or photochromic (you know like the glasses that darken in the sun & lighten again at night or indoors).

Am I losing my mind or did I really see it? Is there such a critter to be had?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Don't know what post you may have seen, but there are a few "high end" helmets that come with internal drop down sun visors.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a Schuberth Concept that features an internal flip down sun visor that is great. 8)

However I believe what someone might be refering to is a "SunBlocker" which is an item applied to the faceshield ,near the top .

I believe they are offered in 2 models ,one model made for Arai helmets ( which have vents near the top of the shield) and then another model for "all others".

If I recall correctly it mounts on the inside of the faceshield.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Last time I discussed that technology with an optometrist, I believe I was told that the lenses that lighten & darken automatically are only available in glass (not plastic). Since virtually all helmet face shields are plastic, I doubt that such a product exists.

I do remember someone discussing a product that stuck on / peeled off for face shields. I can't remember whether it was for tint or anti-fog. I'm not even sure it was on BurgmanUSA.

I use "light smoke" tinted face shields. I do not carry a clear replacement. I have ridden with the "light smoke" tinted shields at night, and have found them to work OK. In fact they reduce glare from oncoming headlights. Any darker tint could be a problem though.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul,

Just an FYI, my current pair of glasses (& all glasses I've worn for the last 3 decades) are pyrex lenses. I've worn pyrex because working in an electronics lab, hot solder, flying debris from exploding tantalum capacitors, & chips flying off the cover casings of frying IC's are all hazards of the trade.

You would not believe the range of stories I've gotten from optometrist types & glasses vendors over the years. Photogray is only available in polycarbonate lenses. Photogray is only available in glass (pyrex) lenses. Photogray is no longer available in either, now you have to get photosun lenses, & they're only available in polycarbonate. And just about every other line of BS they felt like handing out.

I know for a fact that glass lenses can be had either photosun or photogray, & they can both also be had in polycarbonate. All of my glasses since I started buying my own have been photochromic of one type or another. My brother's have also, & he hates the weight of pyrex lenses, so his are always polycarbonate & photochromic as well.

The point is, I've heard every line they want to lay down. Why they persist in these fairy tales, I haven't a clue but both my brother & I have always managed to get what we wanted/needed.

I won't even begin to tell you the tales I'm told when I want prescription sunglasses made with polarized lenses. It's a war I have to fight every time I get new glasses made.

Thanks for the input on the light tint shield, I may have to look into that if I can't find something more effective/convenient.

·
Registered
346 Posts
One of my helmets has a tinted visor, and I use it to commute on sunny days. But I more frequently wear my plain-visor helmet and carry sunglasses with me.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have a very heavily tinted shield. Prior to that I had a clear shield and had the stick on plastic strip of sunblocker. I liked the strip, but for those early mornings when I was riding directly into the sun, it didn't help.

The heavily tinted shield, with sunglasses, is perfect. If the sun is high, I lift the shield about 3/4 open and it blocks the sun from my eyes yet I'm not looking through it.

The Phoenix sun is intense at times, and all this helps. My father has macular degeneration and is nearly blind, so I'm a bit careful with the sun, especially now that I ride a bike.

I think I ordered the sunblocker strip on line but can't recall where.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sunblocker

I have the Sunblocker on two helmets (HJC CL-33 & SyMax) and it works great! It's just a tinted strip of plastic film that, to apply, you dip in soapy water and place on the INTERIOR top of your face shield. After drying, it sticks in place but can be removed if you want.

All I can say is that it was almost visually painful to ride when traveling west in the late afternoon from the sun glare before applying it. Now, it's no problem.

I got mine from the Helmet Shop in Daytona Beach, FL.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Instead of buying the "sunblocker" you can go to Wally World buy a small roll of window tint for about $10.

Cut a 2 Inch strip, apply Inside or Outside the face shield. One roll does dozens of helmets

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/shade/

I've gone this route for years with no problems, even at 90MPH at times :twisted:

Bill

·
Registered
235 Posts
One thing to note about the sheet tinting you might apply to your helmet -- in many states it's illegal to ride round after dusk with any sort of tinting -- either on your visor or with sunglasses. It would be unfortunate if you had to peel it off after sundown if you live in a state that has such a law to avoid getting a ticket.

If I ride with my half-helmet, I normally ride with sunglasses but keep a pair of clear glasses (the safety kind you can buy at Home Depot for $7.00) in case I get caught out past dark, which is not often.

For my Arai full helmet I've purchased an unfortunately pricey smoked face sheild replacement which I now use full time because it lets me ride around without sunglasses on, but again, I've got the clear ones in my glovebox just in case I end up out after dark.

Who knows if the 'no tinting after dark' law is enforced here, but it only cost me $7 to have a non-tinted continency plan.

Had I not gotten a full smoked replacement face sheild, I'd have sprung for that soap-and-water-applied strip previously mentioned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Wife & I both have sunblocker visors and we love them. I don't think you would have any problem with the law since you aren't really looking through the tint unless you lower your head. They are designed to block the sun when it is low in the horizon, however when it is at the horizon you would have to lower you head a little to block the suns rays. Hope this helps. Can't remember the website we ordered them from.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have plastic lens on my glasses. They change color with the bright sun. The tint is smoke color. They're called transtions. They work great for me.

I went to the auto parts store and bought a stick on window tint for 3.00 and cut a strip for my clear visior. It's about 2 inches wide. I stuck it to the top of my visor and it works like your visor in a car blocks out the morning and evening sun really well.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
When I was still using my Nolan N100, I had both a clear and a tinted visor.
I'd carry the spare wrapped in an old T-shirt, and swap them as lighting conditions warranted.

Since then, I've used other helmets that either didn't have optional tinted visors (Nolan N-41 3/4 helmet*) or had internal retracting sunshades (Schuberth Concept).

Rusty J
Blue AN650K5 without a pithy comment at the moment

*on that one, swapping visors would have been a chore in any case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts