Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Repeat of part of a previous post re: helmet safety which on second thought I felt maybe could be a separate thread. Hope its ok. Thanks for the reply Jim W.

I recently looked at a Nolan Classic Plus with front but no rear vents and an HJC FFR with front and rear vents. I think I read some posts related to venting causing a hissing, whistling sound, or just more noise. How important are vents? Is it best to have both front and rear vents (seems to make sense)? Are ring straps better (safer) than clip systems? Any other minor things to look for in a helmet that may escape notice. For instance the Nolan said something about the visor protecting or blocking UV rays. The Nolan visor also had a sticker on it stating something to the effect it was the best rated helmet in some magazine review (can't remember which).

·
Registered
520 Posts
Funny story. Once got out in the desert with my Harley buds. Was riding a Harley myself at the time......We had a few beers out near Salton Sea. Started a shootin contest. Used our helmets at targets since we ALL were ready to revolt over helmets in general. All i can say is we SOLVED the "VENTILATION" problem.....

To this day, it's my favorite helmet next to my novelty helmet of course....

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Most helmets have both front and rear vents. The air has to come in the front vent(s) and exit through the rear vents(s) if you are going to get any air flow. There is also usually a chin vent in a full face helmet. Different vent designs work better than others, and it is important to have some venting on hot days or you will find yourself wearing a "sweat bucket". Yes there are trade-offs, and sometimes the vents that work the best do produce a bit more wind noise. Unless the angle of wind deflection coming off of your windscreen is totally incompatible with the helmets design, the vents should not whistle though. I've only had one new helmet do that, and I turned right around and went back to the dealership and exchanged it for another model.

Some dealers have let me test ride a new helmet before buying it. If you can do that, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Rider1 said:
Repeat of part of a previous post re: helmet safety which on second thought I felt maybe could be a separate thread. Hope its ok. Thanks for the reply Jim W.

I recently looked at a Nolan Classic Plus with front but no rear vents<snip>
The Nolan Classic's top vent works as a venturi when fully open -- it draws air out of the top of the helmet. Quite effective, though one time during a ride at 110F (Moab, UT, on a previous bike) I resorted to attaching a "exhaust vent" made of cardboard and duct tape to the back of the triangle bit. Ugly, but effective.

Rusty J
Blue AN650K5
Schuberth Concept
Nolan N-100 (early model, no visor and no single-side unlatching)
Fulmer 3/4 helmet (don't recall the model#, really cheap, with the long visor -- very quiet with the OEM windscreen)

·
Registered
346 Posts
IMO, good venting is critical. Poor air circulation in a helmet over distances makes me tired. I am impressed with the venting on the Scorpion, m'self. At full, it's perfect for warm days and too much for cool ones. I also like the anti-fog face shield. I had to add a Fog City shield to my RF-1000 to keep it from fogging up. I've torture-tested the stock Scorpion shield (we get a rainy day here and there out here) and have yet to have it fog. Warning - their mirrored shields do not have the anti-fog treatment.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I believe the "D" rings are the only thing that is legal. I don't
like them & have looked for clips but have been told that
nothing is available. I do have a bicycle helmet with clips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts