• No helmet

Results are only viewable after voting.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Helmet style you prefer?
Me? I used to wear only Arai for years. Today i realize they are not worth the money. Removing the visor is from medieval times. And the whistling from The side pods is very bad.

Scorpion is my choice today but i am not a fan of double D rings anymore so will need to find something else.

I will not buy anything but a full face non flip up helmet. I had a bad accident years back. At 80kph i lost control on a large very uneven crack. I fell on my face and the whole visor and chin area were badly damaged/scratched . So that was my luck and a sign to always wear a full face no matter what.
And you?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes nolan/grex/xlite
They were the ones who created the modular. From italy. But made in china?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
My first helmets were 3/4, but I was new and foolish. Then I had a full face helmet with my V-twin Vulcan... just 'cuz. Then I went to modular helmets (flip-up) since I wear glasses and those were easier to put on without removing my glasses. Then, 'cuz I changed my glasses and had to take them off anyway to put on my helmet, I returned to the Full Face form factor. Besides, I kept reading about safety and how the part of the head that gets 64% of damage on average is the face from forehead to chin, and the chin bar on modular helmets are not as safe (even with metal latches) as the solid chin bar of a full face helmet, so I think I'm staying with the full face helmets.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
For neighborhood riding -- most of what I do these days -- I wear 3/4 helmets. I've got a Schuberth M1 with a full shield (and a Pinlock insert, internal sun visor, and comms gear) and a Nolan "copter" helmet with integral drop down "goggles". I can wear the latter with a cloth mask and not fog the visor, which is its main virtue.

Longer or high-speed riding has me switching to my HJC modular (also with Pinlock, but with less-effective drop-down sun visor and no comms gear yet). Need to switch the low-budget bluetooth setup over from the old HJC modular, but have to work out a new mounting arrangement for it first 'cause they revised the cheek pads in the new model.

Basically, it's a set of $40 UClear wired headphones with a $25 Bluetooth adapter.

Since the microphone is on the adapter, it has to go inside the helmet. This means volume changes require using the phone buttons, and turning it on and off requires opening the chinbar to reach the buttons on the adapter. Microphone sound quality is marginal even when not in motion, so it's really only useful for listening to GPS prompts and music from the phone. Battery life is about 3 hours at full volume. Fortunately, charge time is 1 hour and the adapters are inexpensive enough to buy two -- charge one while listening to the other, swap them out at gas stops, and you're good for the whole day.

The main thing is, it's cheap!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do you like the hjc? Does the model you have use dd rings or quick release. Im tired of the dd rings. I swore by them when i used arai and now i use scorpion but i want to get off of them. I have a crap no name helmet that uses it but build is mot great so i need to start looking for something better

Years back i bought the first scala bt headset they released. Pita. Take out the unit to charge and the boom Mic connection to the body gave way and fell apart after 1 year. I never once felt I needed it since. Here people arent into that trend as it once was. Maybe they're now moved into the helmrt but im not seeing those units connected to the side of the helmet when I drive around. Who knows. Imo prices never came down to a tempting level. $300+for a pair just to talk and listen to music is absurd imoeven $100 is too much imo

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
How do you like the hjc? Does the model you have use dd rings or quick release. Im tired of the dd rings
The IS-MAX-2 is decent, but not amazing. It is, however, a very good value for the price. D-rings on the chin-strap, which I'm ok with.
Visor is set up for Pinlock inserts, which really help (I'm near the coast and visor fogging is a big problem).
I wish the drop-down sunglasses (visor) were more darkly tinted. Maybe they expect them to be used in conjunction with a tinted face-shield? It's tolerable, though.
There's an accessory snap-in chin-curtain that makes a difference on cool days, especially if you're riding without a windshield.
Ventilation is decent.
It's not particularly noisy.
Chin-bar mechanism is easy to use and functions smoothly.
Visor top-edge seal isn't watertight at freeway speeds, but doesn't leak too badly in heavy rain even then.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Currently riding with an visored open face full helmet because it's less noisy and makes for a more enjoyable ride. But for many many years have used a half helmet with visor...mostly because it was cooler.

The visor is nice cause you can tilt your head to block out the sun when necessary.

...just say'en, Thanks to what I've learned here I'll probably stick with a full helmet now that know it's safer. Very careless of me to never have thought of that before.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Many HJC helmets that have a drop down sun visor have options to replace with darker or lighter tint.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ill have to goto a store and look at hjc helmets and fit them up. Once i have gotten in and they only had the top end carbon fiber anf replicas and ir was really high priced. I couodnt afford it then. I too use a chin curtain for winter and breath deflector regularly . Very useful

After my '98 accident im grateful my older brother forced me to only buy full helmets. The bike tripped to the right and i fell straight on my face. Chin and visor was white from grind marks. No paint on the chin. At the time i had the rx7rr4 which was their complex material flagship helmet. "clc" they call it. You could see the strands in the frame. Not polycarbonate. Its hot as heck and sweating at those red lights in the summer but if i would have fallen on my face and a open or half helmet i would have needed some massive reconstruction surgery.

Ive only had long relationships but those women when they come ride first time and they wear a helmet. Its funny to see. They feel claustrophobic in it and the breath deflector kind of confuses them. But they get used it quickly. I always have to to remind them to sit regularly and let me lean the bike in on turns. Sometimes they see a turn and want to lean in naturally and that can ruin balance

Good feedback from everyone

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
I have for many years used modular helmets. I have also read the same things mentioned by rjs987 about the areas of damage that usually occur in an accident. I used to wear only the full face helmets. That was at a time when my trips were short and usually at higher speeds and I was also worried about looking like a real rider. Fast forward to now, I tend to ride as far as my tank will carry me, quick fill and keep moving. You know the deal, lather, rinse and repeat. My relative speed is lower but for longer periods and now I don't care what others may think of me. The modular allows me to raise the chin piece when it is hot or I am in town. The glasses issue is made far easier with a modular helmet. I feel like for the degree of protection I am giving up, the convenience and comfort and ability to wear it for hours outweighs the protection issue. For riding long distances it is a must have to allow for drinks and snacks on the go. No way I would wear anything less than a modular of good quality. I had a Nolan before and now using an HJC. It is comfortable and far less $$ than the top shelf brands.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see the police use modular (flip ups) and many others as well. I see by the poll that its oreferred. For my nasty accident it forced me to use full face and ive suffered through the searing summer ever since

Yea i noticed you guys in the usa do like riding long trips. Easy rider comes to mind. Tragic ending. That jacket though. Wow beautiful. Good forum filmjackets. Bought a hero jacket years back from. Soul revolver.good quality but too expensive. There are less expensive options to source from.

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
Yea i noticed you guys in the usa do like riding long trips. Easy rider comes to mind.
Yes there are some that prefers the long trips and here in many areas we have the space to do just that. I wish the big burgers carried another two gallons of fuel to help my lust for miles but I make do with what I have. I have worn a full face years ago when we went to Sturgis from Illinois making only fuel stops. It was August and hot. My buddy had a modular helmet. That trip sold me on a modular helmet. The ability to take a drink or snack while underway makes those longer stretches so much easier. I am happy to see riders with some sort of helmet. More is better in a helmet but anything is better than not having one at all.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
100% correct you are. Anything is better. And fastened too as some dont

I lived in the us for 21 years so when would drive to canada to visit from ny i did notice the distances between gas stations were long. I loved those sandwich dispensing machines at those stops.

Years back when i was young I did deliveries. We had to check the scooters in the morning shift. Take it for a short spin and test the brakes. On teh way back someone came from a turn and i panicked and locked rhe front small 10" tire. No helmet. I slammed my head to the concrete on my right side. The room would not stop spinning for hours. Even when i closed my eyes. Last time that would happen. Could have cracked ny head open

Airoh is also a known brand to me. I believe italian too. Not so widespread and lately quite from their side.

I had an agv gp tech limited edition(1000 numbers). They are horrific low quality helmets. You make a flagship helmet and no way to lock the visor. The visor slams down at 30mph. And its so thin at 2.1mm it flexes so badly and there are rainbow lines going across it from the heat forming very bad quality. Overlay graphics had bubbles in it from rain. And they overly large without justification. Would not use one if it was given to me for free. Could be they improved as this was in 2009

Pinlock is a must imo. I used fogX before but it doesnt hold as well under heavy rain and daily use. RainX for the exterior works well although after heavy rain needs to be reapplied but fantastic product. Because to lift your habd to wipe the visor in. Rain can ve that second you need to brake

Anyone use those finger squeegees?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Pinlock is a must imo. I used fogX before but it doesnt hold as well under heavy rain and daily use. RainX for the exterior works well although after heavy rain needs to be reapplied but fantastic product. Because to lift your habd to wipe the visor in. Rain can ve that second you need to brake

Agreed on the Pinlock. Haven't tried Rain-X on the outside. Used to have a pair of gloves (Tourmaster, maybe?) years ago that had a squeegee built into the left index finger. It was handy. Lost 'em in the big move years ago, though.

·
Super Moderator
918 Posts
100% correct you are. Anything is better. And fastened too as some don't.
Pinlock is a must IMO. I used Fog X before but it doesn't hold as well under heavy rain and daily use. Rain X for the exterior works well although after heavy rain needs to be reapplied but fantastic product. Because to lift your hand to wipe the visor in rain can be that second you need to brake

YES, even a poor helmet is better than no helmet.
I used to have a pair of gloves with the finger squeegee (long since worn out). It was on the left thumb as I recall. It worked okay but my experience did show having a Rain X or something similar on the exterior was the best thing to use. I used a few different brands and they all were very similar in results. Keep the shield clean and reapply frequently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts