Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting a pair of speakers to install inside my helmet. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are there any recommendations out there?

·
Registered
30 Posts
ear buds

Hey Cowboybug. I haven't tried any helmet speakers yet, but I did go down to radio shack and buy some earbud speakers for about $10 to plug into my walkman. I bought the kind that don't have any padding on them because I figured the padding would slip off as I took my helmet off.
So far these work great for me, but I might be interested in hard installed helmet speakers if there's a good solution out there.
I don't care about cb radio, intercom features, etc. Just something that will let me jam to Lynyrd Skynyrd while I ride 8)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have looked at those speakers I few times. The credit card has been out a time or two as well. But I am leery of the sound quality. I use slip on earphones from Best Buy, but I too would prefer helmet speakers. Has anyone used the ones that Burger Bob pointed out. I am very curiuos and may even break down and buy them. :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi All:
I just ordered a set of these so will let you know what I think. In 1996 I had a pair of helmet speakers called Bass Monsters that sold for about the same amount and they were just great. Unfortunately, I've moved twice since then and can't find them anywhere :oops: They will probably show up just after the new ones arrive. I tried a Google search for "Bass Monster" to get the same ones again but came up empty. Perhaps they are out of business or have no internet presence. If you can locate a pair of these don't hesitate to give them a go. I'll post again once ive tried the new ones out.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I use stero helmet speakers with my autocom intercom, which pumps out stereo music. They are so good, they make normal Walkam 'in-the-ear' type ear phones seem rubbish, and rival a pukka home system for sound quality.

The speakers themselves look like someone has simply unhinged them from the old style Walkman headphone connecting arch that used tosit across you head, and then pu a bit of velcro on the back.

For those not using these in conjunction with an Autocom intercom and boom microphone set, there must a be an easy DIY solution. Many Audio Visual stores stil sell these parts over here today. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Burger Bob said:
I have a set, but I only use them for my GPS and they're OK for that. Pretty good, actually!

Bob
Bob

What GPS are you using?

NormanB

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi All:
This is in follow-up to my previous post. The speakers came very quickly in the mail and fit in my HJC helmet like a glove. However, (isn't there always a however :? ) the sound is underwhelming. I am using them with an Apple Ipod and, at full volumne, they were barely audible. I then built a 2 W headphone amp for them and now, although the volume is acceptable, the sound is less than adequate. Thus i wouldn't recomend them for anyone who need the music to sound good. If using them for voice or just to have some noise while riding they are good and the price is certainly right. I'm going to have to look further for something else. I saw an article somewhere about ripping appart some Radio Shack headphones and using the speakers from there. I'll have to look into it. Just an aside on the Bass monster speakers. They were made by a Canadian firm who makes intercom stuff but they don't seem to make them anymore :cry: Ah well, the search goes on.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Harold,

I saw an article somewhere about ripping appart some Radio Shack headphones and using the speakers from there
Been there done that

I have wrecked 3 pairs of headphones trying exactly that ...

I found that without the headphones sealing around you ear they are useless no brass all treble ...

Without the seal against you ear you lose the bass I think it uses your ear canal as a sympathetic diaphragm to boost bass responce ...

I've gone back to ear phones again ...

Greg ...

·
Premium Member
2,857 Posts
I believe the BEST ear buds you can buy are the Etymotic ER-4P. They have 2 sets of ear inserts. Both have many dBs of sound isolation. One has a triple silicone seal and the other is a foam finger roll like the throw away ear plugs you use for hearing protection. (Im on my way to work so I dont have much more time to describe it.)
-Bryan

Here are some reviews. http://www.etymotic.com/articles_review ... category=1

I got mine on ebay for $180, shipped to IRAQ.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I've used all sorts of in-helmet earphones over the years and found that it pays to buy the better ones designed for motorcycles. The cheaper ones may do the job of transmitting sound but the sound quality is usually poor compared to the better ones. Check this site for an idea of whats available: http://www.jmcorp.com/ .
For those of you who are looking for an amplifier/splitter for your walkman-type devices, check this one for $30: http://www.boostaroo.com/
:D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Radio shack sells something very similar to the boostaroo and it is $22.00. I have it and it works very well boosting my signal through my headset.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I picked up a pair of thin, 1.5" (2"?) speakers at the local electronics store and installed them in my Shoei by pulling out the liner and the styrofoam around the ears, and melting holes with a soldering iron. A little wiring and a surplus coiled mic cable from the surplus shop gave me a fairly clean, fairly audible installation. I ride with earplugs and the audio (radio) turned all the way up. It sounds awful from the outside, lots of distortion, etc, but with earplugs, it's not bad. (Earbuds never worked for me, but I know many people swear by Koss "The Plug" earphones.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts