Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm testing out a new Cardo Scala Rider G9x. I like the unit, but am less than impressed with the speakers; they're very tinny and have no bass whatsoever. I can resolve this with a pair of earbuds and will probably do so on long, weekend rides.

But for bopping around town, running errands, riding to work, etc. utilizing the speakers would be a lot more convenient. So an upgrade would be necessary. To that end, I found these.

Amazon.com: SharkMotorcycleAudio shklxh1 Radio Headset kit for Half-Face (1/2 face) Motorcycle Helmet Connects to MP3 iPod iTouch blackberry etc Player Audio devices: GPS & Navigation

And this...

Amazon.com: Smith Optics Skullcandy Direct Connect Audio Kit Communication Head Set Accessories - Black: Electronics

Does anyone have any experience with them or have a similar product you would recommend? I have an HJC modular helmet with built-in speaker pockets.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
The Shark setup from Amazon looks like
the THUMPERS that I got off Ebay...
look under Motorcycle Helmet Speakers...
I have them installed in my HJC CS-5 helmet.
They sound fine to me...a bit different than
the Chatterbox helmet speakers in my HJC
CL-21 helmet.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with them or have a similar product you would recommend? I have an HJC modular helmet with built-in speaker pockets.
I did mine the cheap way:
Bought an inexpensive pair of headphones, cut off the headband, and velcroed the speaker parts into the helmet. Not great, but it works and most of all it was cheap.

Later I replaced the foam speaker pads with self-adhesive felt from a craft supply store 'cause the pads kept slipping off.

I'm using a cheap bluetooth adapter to drive them. If memory serves, the whole system including speakers and the self-adhesive velcro probably comes out under $60. Doesn't allow clear talking due to poor microphone position (it's built into the adapter itself) but it was cheap and can be used with earbuds as well.*

Also, I just bought an HJC IS-MAX BT modular helmet this evening (without the bluetooth stuff). Seems pretty good so far.

* Edited to add: I think I know how to make it work with the new helmet.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also, I just bought an HJC IS-MAX BT modular helmet this evening (without the bluetooth stuff). Seems pretty good so far.
Exact same helmet as me. They're great.

I'm finding I like the Cardo unit better than the Chatterbox unit designed for it. If for only the built in radio and other features like changeable headsets and line-in audio.

I thought about the headphone thing, but looks like I can get decent speakers for less than $25.

I'll let you check out the Cardo at the next ride.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Exact same helmet as me. They're great.

I'm finding I like the Cardo unit better than the Chatterbox unit designed for it. If for only the built in radio and other features like changeable headsets and line-in audio.

I thought about the headphone thing, but looks like I can get decent speakers for less than $25.

I'll let you check out the Cardo at the next ride.
Thanks!

I've been a fan of HJC helmets for a while (my "daily driver" 3/4 helmet is an IS-33).

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Ok, figured out how to make my low-budget Bluetooth adapter* work in the helmet. The shirt-clip on the back broke off long ago, so I had trimmed away the remnants of the clip's attachment and stuck Velcro to the back side of the adapter. Now, here's the clever part: Inside the outer face (helmet-shell side) of the left cheek pad, there are a series of holes in a line. I threaded a section of a large zip-tie into those holes, bent the zip-tie to clear the chin-bar, and folded a length of 3/4" Velcro tape around the exposed end of the zip-tie, lengthwise. Thread the headphone wire under the cheek pad and connect it to the BXR-100, attach the BXR-100 to the Velcro and that's the installation.

If you're using an unmodified unit, substitute suitably placed loops of duct tape (an inner loop with the adhesive side out, and an outer loop wrapping both that loop and the zip tie) for the Velcro. The adapter's shirt clip attaches into the inside-out loop.

Submerging the zip-tie's bend in boiling water will help the bend "set" in the plastic.

Note that the controls are not accessible while riding. This isn't a problem for me as I simply leave the adapter at maximum volume and control the sound level using the phone's controls.

* Antec Mobile Products (AMP) BXR-100 "Gain" Bluetooth receiver. It's cheap, but then again it's also inexpensive. Don't expect the claimed 6 hours of use if you're streaming audio at high volume levels (and you'll probably need to). 3 1/2 hours is more like it -- but at least it will recharge quickly.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have the $24 motothumpers and they do just great. The Burgy 400 is so quiet that the speakers come through just fine.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have the Interphone F5 Bluetooth set up..it has stereo speakers in the helmet.. comes with built in FM radio and connects to mycell phone well.. As a side benefit, the microphone is great at noise cancelling..I can talk to my customers while I am on the bike and no one knws that I am anywhere but in my office..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts