Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you clean the helmet parts that don't come out? I have the liner in the washing machine, if I can't find a way to de funk the rest of it' Ima put it in the dishwasher (when swmbo isn't home of course) some of the pads appear to be glued in,

· Administrator
16,968 Posts
I had a $300 jacket that milk got spilled on. Could not get that smell out. Tried many different things. What did it was I laid it flat and sprinkled Fresh Scoop Cat Litter all over and let it sit outside for a week. I then chased the neighbors cats away, cleaned all the "Almond Roca" off and it no longer smelled like spoiled Milk. YMMV. ;)

Reactions: Tromper

· Registered
43 Posts
Better be careful, that smell might attract deer while you are riding. Even worse, one might try to mate with your head.

On a slightly more serious note, you might call the manufacturer and ask them what they recommend. I think you will end up spraying a mild soap and water solution (like ivory or woolite) on the pads, squishing them, then rinsing and putting the hat in front of a fan to dry it.

· Administrator
16,968 Posts
Really, you could try soaking a soft rag in Fabreese and wipe everything down. I used Simply Green on the inside Poly foam on one of my helmets once. No matter how much I wiped it out it still had that smell. I found out that a watered down Rubbing alchol can cut smells if care is used to not soak it down. But it can go POOF in a split second.

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,792 Posts
Just how old is this helmet??? :)
How many times past 5 years? (recommended maximum life of any helmet)

Reactions: BurgyBill

· Premium Member
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just how old is this helmet??? :)
How many times past 5 years? (recommended maximum life of any helmet)
it's about 4 months old, and I use a helmet protector , can't understand why it got that way so fast, I do leave it on the bike when I go in shops sometimes and may have had someone put something in it. The washer helped the liner tremendously, and the smell is almost gone after sitting in front of a dedhumidifier fan overnite, still would like to know if there is a commercial product I can spray in and vacuum out in case I get polecat head again.

· Registered
4,739 Posts
Just thought, but maybe keep a dry fabreez towelette between the foam liner and styrofoam. Replace as necessary.

· I'm Retired
8,750 Posts
I had a $300 jacket that milk got spilled on. Could not get that smell out. Tried many different things. What did it was I laid it flat and sprinkled Fresh Scoop Cat Litter all over and let it sit outside for a week. I then chased the neighbors cats away, cleaned all the "Almond Roca" off and it no longer smelled like spoiled Milk. YMMV. ;)
So it smelled like cat pee?

I'd leave it alone. Hunting season starts this weekend. I'd just leave it in an empty clearing and wait for a big buck...

Chris

· Administrator
16,968 Posts
OK, Daboo caught me. :wink

In real life, I did not do that with the Kitty litter. My dry cleaner got it all fresh after three doses of PERC (Perchloroethylene) Milk is a very hard Protein to get out of clothing.

The US Army used Perc for cleaning guns and some aircraft parts. Had my naked hands in that stuff many times. But the third eye in the back of my head does not seem to be effected by it.

The Nostril in the middle of my back does get congested at times.:frown

:grin

· Registered
27 Posts
I use some canned foam stuff from MUC-OFF that is specifically for getting the stink out of crash helmets.
Just spray inside liberally and leave. Wipe of any residue if there is any left after say five minutes.

Generally my helmets only stink if they get damp as it seems to activate the smell from the oils in the liner.

Reactions: mikeyMarine

· Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
2,792 Posts
I just leave it and I think it helps keep SOME of the BDC from doing the ID10T move and tailgating me, I think. But seems to attract others even closer so I may reconsider.

· Premium Member
8,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just leave it and I think it helps keep SOME of the BDC from doing the ID10T move and tailgating me, I think. But seems to attract others even closer so I may reconsider.
maybe this explains my too close for comfort encounter with a buzzard last week.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
I use some canned foam stuff from MUC-OFF that is specifically for getting the stink out of crash helmets.
Just spray inside liberally and leave. Wipe of any residue if there is any left after say five minutes.

Generally my helmets only stink if they get damp as it seems to activate the smell from the oils in the liner.
You mean this stuff? How effective was it? I always thought the pads had to be soaked and wringed out, but apparently the use of this is a lot easier so this has me asking how effective it is.
https://us.muc-off.com/collections/motorcycle-rider-care-workshop/products/foam-fresh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.