Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How accurate is the tape measure test for helmet size?

I currently own 2 HJC helmets: HJC IS 33 and the HJC Cruiser helmet.

I would like to buy a AFX-FX 50 as worn by Ledude. According to the size charts I am supposed to buy a Large AFX-FX 50.

My issue is that when I try on helmets in the store I can't even get the XL from other brands on my head at all. Perhaps, I should have purchased an XL HJC instead of a 2 XL but I'm concerned about buying a Large.

My head measures 23.3 inches in circumference. Any advice is appreciated.

I am hoping Ledude will post his head circumference so I can get an idea on what size AFX to order.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
There's a lot more to sizing than just a circumference measurement. Everyone's skull is differently shaped. Some long, some round, some more wide. Face length, cheek width, amount of weight in the jaw... All different. And helmets are too. HJC XL fit me perfect, but not Shoei XL, go figure.

You really have to try them on to see if you like it. The new AFX looks great, but you should try one on first, if at all possible.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's a lot more to sizing than just a circumference measurement. Everyone's skull is differently shaped. Some long, some round, some more wide. Face length, cheek width, amount of weight in the jaw... All different. And helmets are too. HJC XL fit me perfect, but not Shoei XL, go figure.

You really have to try them on to see if you like it. The new AFX looks great, but you should try one on first, if at all possible.
I'll order the XL and if it doesn't fit (it should) then I'll get the XXL. Only $8.00 return shipping fee and no restocking fee.

Thanks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I couldn't even get the Shoei XL on my head!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Read the reviews on them , people will usually say in their review if they run true to size .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
426 Posts

Exactly. Sizing isn't about just measuring the skull circumference, but also about understanding your skulls shape. A good resource can be found on webbikeworld.com discussing helmet sizing. Lots of reviews too. But as Liamjs quite rightly points out, attempting to try a helmet on is one part of the litmus test.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts