Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month before I bought my AN650 I purchased an HJC SY-MAX flip-up helmet. I had always wanted one because when you stop and talk to people you can flip it up and folks can see your face, rather than just your eyes. Much better when talking to, for example, Bruce, the highway patrol officer, or when crossing from Mexico back into the US. (US officials will make you take off your full-face helmet so they can see who you are).

Immediately on riding away from the motorcycle store I noticed the Sy-max was noiser than my Shoei RF-900. Veteran motorcyclists told me that generally speaking flip-ups are noiser than regular full-face helmets.

When I bought the Burgman and rode off on it the windnoise dramatically increased, attributed, I assumed, to the combination of the Burgie windscreen and the Sy-max.

The next day I rode with the Shoei and it was noticeably quieter, so I put the flip-up helmet on the shelf and quit using it.

Yesterday I thought I'd give it one more try. I was cruising down the highway at 75 when my nose began to itch. I flipped up the clear face shield to scratch my nose and, to my surprise, the windnoise virtually disappeared. If I closed the face shield the noice returned, if I opened it, it dropped by 80%. As I was wearing sunglasses, I just left it up and had a much more enjoyable ride.

Examining the fit of both face shields, the Shoei's is a much better, smoother fit to the helmet. The HJC face shield's fit is, by comparison, sloppy, and sometimes when you snap it closed it remains at a slight angle.

The point of all this is that riding with the visor open seems to deflect wind turbulance away from the helmet and produce a quieter ride! Further, no wind seems to be hitting my eyes even though the visor's up.

Maybe one of you has an HJC SY-MAX and has had a similar experience.

I told all of this to my riding buddy, who said well maybe now you won't have to spend money for an aftermarket windshield. ???

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ted,

I have an HJC CL-14 (not a flip-up). The angle of the open visor makes a difference for me. Some settings are quieter than others. I have a Shoei 900 too, but it gives me a headache after a few hours of riding, so I put it on the shelf and bought the HJC. The HJC didn't seem to be any noisier than the Shoei (again, its not the same model you have) - and I can ride all day with it and not get a headache.

Several things come into play with determining the quietness of a helmet. One thing is the design, as you've mentioned. Regarding design - some helmets work great when they are fully in the wind, but are terrible behind a windscreen. Another key factor is how well it fits your head. An expensive Arai helmet might be extremely quiet on one person's head, but noisy for another person. (Arai's tend to fit people with rounder heads well - but they don't work at all for me - I just used them as an example.)

My guess is that you will have to do something about the windscreen eventually. You can gain a lot more comfort by getting the windscreen right, than you can with any helmet. And windscreen solutions cost less than helmets anyway. A laminar lip is about $80. A full windscreen like the Clearview or Givi is less than $150. Good helmets generally start at around $150, typically the very good ones are over $300. I would suggest doing the windscreen first, then address a helmet change if you need to (you probably won't have to).

Just my two cents, based on my experiences...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Nolan Flipper

I used to wear a Nolan Flip open helmet that I bought at Aerostitch. It was very quiet.; I wasn't crazy about the two button release for the flip, but otherwise it was a great lid. I might buy another one.

I ride a 3/4 open helmet behind my 650 screen with LIP. On very bad weather days, highway, and cold, I wear an older Shoei full face.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I have a Zeus flip up which I wear a little , but it seem my 3/4 gets most of the use now days. My Shoei full face has a lot of dust on it--
fits OK , just something about it.....Maybe I don't have a Shoei head for a full face. :(

·
Registered
409 Posts
I also use the symax. I enjoy it because of the convenience. I have the givi screen. As ted stated, I open my vier a bit and it is fine. When I'm on the highway, all I do is drop down a little behind the screen and no noise, buffetting, etc.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all of you for relating your experiences with helmets and windshields.

I'll probably take pauljo's advice and get the Clearview.

However, today there was no windnoise problem: I fired up my 1975 Hodaka and rode around town with a 3/4 helmet and a pair of old German split lens goggles. Stopped in front of the coffee shop to hang out with my motorcycle buddies and noticed a couple in their seventies quietly contemplating the Hodaka. I walked over. The man said, " I used to be a Hodaka dealer. I haven't seen a Hodaka on the road in fifteen years."
He was all choked up. I told him I rode it several times a week and that I had bought it new.

When I told him about the Burgman, he said he couldn't imagine such a machine. "You seem like an honest man," he said, "So I believe you."

·
Registered
308 Posts
All helmets are noiser than the RF-900 :D - if you are anything like me about wind noise, it may be time to get a new windshield!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I'll try some again. I don't know what's wrong with my ear canals, but the foam ones seem to work their way out after a bit, or maybe it's when I put on the helmet. That seems to dislodge one on occasion.

By the way, I returned the HJC Sy-Max to the dealer today and they are ordering me a new one. Seems the visor didn't align properly and perhaps contributed to excess windnoise.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Ted, try rolling the foam plugs between your thumb and forefinger to compress them somewhat before you insert them in your ears. This will allow you to insert them a little easier and they will quickly expand to fill the ear cavity. Hope they work for you! :D

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks, Don.

I'll try that tomorrow. You know, it just occurred to me: I've got in-the-ear hearing aids. Of course they're molded to me ear canals. My hearing loss is on the high end. I have no problem hearing men's voices, but have a definite problem with women's voices (one wag said such a situation wasn't all that bad). But it's a real problem because I have to attend lots of meetings where many of those present are women.

What if I took out the batteries and just used them as earplugs instead of foam inserts? They fit perfectly.

What do you think? I think I'll try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
373 Posts
OK, I'll try some again. I don't know what's wrong with my ear canals, but the foam ones seem to work their way out after a bit, or maybe it's when I put on the helmet. That seems to dislodge one on occasion.
Hey, my first post!

I used to have this problem, they would never stay in and fall out until I found out the correct way to use them.

1) Roll the earplug between your fingers.

2) If putting the right earplug in, use your left hand, reach over and behind your head, and grab your ear just above the lobe.

3) Gently pull back and upwards. This straightens the ear canal and you will find the ear plug goes in easily and also further!

4) Hold the earplug in position, while releasing the ear with the left hand and wait a couple seconds for the earplug to expand.

Repeat for the other ear

Sorry if this is basic stuff, but I used to curse something rotten when earplugs fell out! :lol:

Hope this helps

Andy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts