Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a package from CycleGadgets.com this afternoon. I ordered the stuff on Tuesday, it arrived on Thursday. Shipping was $7.15 for the package. Not bad. These are rather simple items, so I'll write them all up here rather than in the "Official Product Reviews" forum. I must say, I like everything that was in the package! You can go to their website to see product pictures if you like.
http://cyclegadgets.com/

Bitty Booster Jumper Cables: $12.95

Simply a compact set of jumper cables in a convenient circular zippered pouch. The clamps are also smaller than those on typical car cables, more compatible with the small motorcycle battery terminals. Stows nicely in my hump bag without taking up much space.

Note: I keep all of my contingency stuff in the hump bag, and stow the hump bag in the tail section of the underseat trunk. It only goes on the hump when I need extra trunk room, which is usually when touring.

CrampBuster: $10.95

Eleven bucks for a piece of molded plastic? Yep - but it works really well. I took a 20 mile ride with it this evening and I love it! I found I could keep my speed a lot steadier when cruising, and my grip on the throttle was more relaxed. This thing makes for very comfy cruising. The only thing the O-Ring does better is to hold the throttle stationary if you need to take your hand completely off the throttle. On very long rides I occasionally need to do that to restore circulation & relieve numbness in my hand. Both devices can easily co-exist, but for now I removed the O-ring and stowed it in the trunk. I'll probably only drag it out when touring.

Note: The only issue I have is that with my big mitts my wrist is always over the CrampBuster lever. So I have to be careful not to accidentally depress the lever in low speed situations. It fits under my wrist so comfortably that it is easy to forget it is there. I think I'll get used to that after another ride or two - I just have to automatically remember it is there so I don't accidentally crack the throttle open.

Stick-On Thermometer: $21.95

Yes, you can probably find one cheaper. But this one is nice. I got the one with black housing, black face, and white numbers. They come in several variations, including one that glows in the dark. I stuck it on the dash between the ignition cutout and the left dash compartment. Looks pretty good there, and I can easily read it while riding. Just peel and stick to install it. I let the adhesive set up while I was installing the last item (less than an hour). It didn't fall off during my 20 mile test ride. The gauge dial is about as big as a silver dollar and the numerals are decent size. It can be read with a quick glance.

Helmet Guardian (Black): $44.95

Slick. This bolts into the license plate bracket behind the plate and provides two locking helmet holders, one on either side of the license plate. To properly use the security mounting hardware I had to drill two holes through the fender plastic. A 1/4" drill did the trick. The screws that pass through the plate cover, license plate and the guardian have a trick hex key fitting - the special hex wrench is included. This looks great installed on the 650. I took my time, had to find my drill & extension cord, and figure out how the hardware was supposed to work. All told, it probably took 45 minutes to install.

Note: There are no install instructions. If I could figure it out, you could too! :wink:

This was like getting a Christmas package in June! Even better! There was not even one stupid necktie, pair of socks, or silly boxer shorts in the box! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,166 Posts
Pauljo wrote:
This bolts into the license plate bracket behind the plate and provides two locking helmet holders
Doesn't the 650 have the underseat helmet clips like the 400? I usually just raise the seat and put the metal clips over one and close the seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Selias said:
Pauljo wrote:
This bolts into the license plate bracket behind the plate and provides two locking helmet holders
Doesn't the 650 have the underseat helmet clips like the 400? I usually just raise the seat and put the metal clips over one and close the seat.
The clip on the 400 is either too big for the buckle on my helmet, or I don't know how to use it. :) My helmet goes under the seat when I leave it unattended.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dannysauer said:
The clip on the 400 is either too big for the buckle on my helmet, or I don't know how to use it. :) My helmet goes under the seat when I leave it unattended.
There is a wire cable that you have to use with those clips. The cable passes through the helmet D-Rings, and the loops at both ends of the cable go around those clips. I don't like fiddling with it, but it does work. The hardware I installed is way more convenient. Twist a key, a bracket drops down. Slip the D-rings over the bracket and snap it back up into locked position. Very quick, convenient and easy.

Yes. Under normal riding, I don't use either helmet lock. My helmet goes into my Givi top box. Where I need an external helmet lock is when I tour. When touring, the underseat trunk and the top box are both too full to put the helmet into them. I used the new helmet lock device on my latest tour, and I like it much better than the stock cable & hook deal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
pauljo said:
dannysauer said:
The clip on the 400 is either too big for the buckle on my helmet, or I don't know how to use it. :) My helmet goes under the seat when I leave it unattended.
There is a wire cable that you have to use with those clips. The cable passes through the helmet D-Rings, and the loops at both ends of the cable go around those clips. I don't like fiddling with it, but it does work. The hardware I installed is way more convenient. Twist a key, a bracket drops down. Slip the D-rings over the bracket and snap it back up into locked position. Very quick, convenient and easy.

.
Paul, what are you talking about? I don't have a cable to use with those clips, and the D rings on my helmet go directly over the clips on my 400.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With the 650, a cable is supplied. It was with the tool kit, either inside, or under the tool kit retaining strap. Perhaps the 400 is different. Best I can say is to check in and around your toolkit to see if you have one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
pauljo said:
With the 650, a cable is supplied. It was with the tool kit, either inside, or under the tool kit retaining strap. Perhaps the 400 is different. Best I can say is to check in and around your toolkit to see if you have one.
Pauljo, there's no cable with or on my tool pouch. Are you guys saying that the D ring on your helmets won't fit on the hook without that cable?
Mine is a 2005 AN400 and the D rings fit on the hooks just fine. No cable
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just tried it with the CL-14 full face I have been wearing. Cannot get the D-rings over the hooks. It is possible that the helmet hooks are shaped differently on the AN400. On the 650 they bend inward toward the trunk at the top. Visuallize an upside down "L" with the base pointed inward. The helmet shell is against the seat, and the D-rings just protrude below the base of the shell. Cannot move them upward and inward far enough to get them over the hook. You definitely need that cable with the 650.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,385 Posts
If you don't own a grinder any auto or bike shop can just grind off the "ears" on the helmet clips under the 400 set and the "D: ring will now fit and the helmet secured when the seat in down and locked :)
I never found any wire either :(
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,075 Posts
The 650 needs it because the location is farther under the seat than the 400. A cable (wire) is supplied for the 650 but not the 400 (it's not needed)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top