Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as earphones for a helmet? I don't need an intercom system right now - I would just like to hear some music. I wear a flip face helmet.
Thanks.
Patti

·
Registered
350 Posts
Patti, I have gone through about 7 different kinds of speakers for my helmet and finally found some that work great.

http://www.clearercom.com/Helmetspeaker.htm

My helmet has nice ear cuttouts and these speakers have self-stick velcro patches so they mount nicely in the them. I have snap in cheek pads and just unsnapped them, tucked the excess cable behind and snapped them back in. I only have about 2" of cord hanging out the left side of the helmet. I plug that into the other cable (with the volume control) shown in this link and plug that into my MP3/FM player and I'm good to go. I also bought a Boostaroo on eBay to boost the volume by 40-70% but have found I really don't need it.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Patti,

I wired two of my helmets using good, high quality headphone speakers inserted into the cheek pads, under the fabric, right over my ears so that I can hear the music & what's going on around me, too. The wires I ran under the rear cover & down to the right side of the jaw plate (I use a modular helmet as well). I then run the wire down to my inside chest pocket on my jacket, where I carry my MP3/FM Stereo radio/1 GB USB Flash drive. It sounds great & I can carry plenty of music for an entire weekend w/o effort.

Whether or not this will work as I have described depends on the type of cheek pad in your helmet, if they are foam inserts in a "pillow case" covering, it's easy, all you have to do is remove the foam, shave a concave place into it to accomodate the speaker housing, (after making sure it is centered over where your ear is in the helmet). I then used self-adhesive velcro on the back of the speaker housing to make sure it stays put. Then slip the foam/speaker combo back into the "pillow case", reinstall in the helmet, & run the wire.

It sounds a lot harder than it is. Hard is figuring out how to do the same with my other helmet that doesn't have pockets for the cheek pad. I would strongly suggest covering the speaker with fabric as it is kind of hard on the ears trying to put the helmet on with exposed speakers in place. :shock: :shock: :shock:

This is an example of what I used, $26.00 delivered:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true

·
Registered
122 Posts
Watch out for the chippies, though. There's some argument about whether you can have two speakers. Here's the California law:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displ ... file=27400

27400. A person operating a motor vehicle or bicycle may not wear a
headset covering, or earplugs in, both ears.
The reason for the confusion is that it says headset, not helmet. A judge may argue, though, that the helmet becomes a headset when the speakers are installed.

Personally, I've got speakers similar to those mentioned above and I'm just trying not to do something that will give the county mounties a reason to pull me over and discover them.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
So, according to California Law you are not allowed to wear ear protection from noise (AKA: ear plugs)???
I always found it funny (particularly when following a deaf driver having an animated argument (via sign language) with a passenger) how illogical some laws can be.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Selias said:
So, according to California Law you are not allowed to wear ear protection from noise (AKA: ear plugs)???
Sorry, the rest of the law:

This prohibition does not apply to any of the following:
(a) A person operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in Section 165.
(b) A person engaged in the operation of either special construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any highway.
(c) A person engaged in the operation of refuse collection equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.
(d) A person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of earplugs or molds that are specifically designed to attenuate injurious noise levels. The plugs or molds shall be designed in a manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.
(e) A person using a prosthetic device that aids the hard of hearing.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the clearercom helmet speakers that Buzz mentioned. I have the Vega Summit flipface with a removable lining. The lining comes out in 3 pieces. Each earpiece has a little pocket in it for speakers. The clearercom speakers fit in the pockets perfectly.

The earphone wires connect separately to each speaker. The way this helmet is constructed I can just leave the wire connected and tuck it up under the foam when I'm not using it.

If it's a question of getting into trouble with the law, I think it's legal to use 1 earphone. So if need be, I can just disconnect 1 of the helmet speakers.

I just got a new toy to use with the speakers:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3756869
It tucks neatly into my inside top jacket pocket.
Patti

·
Registered
346 Posts
I use these (well, in black). I have them off around town, where they serve as earplugs. I have them on (at a moderate level) on the freeways. They're nonintrusive and fit well under a helmet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts