Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if a Shark radio will plug into earphones, like a Chatterbox, and if so does this eliminate the need for conventional speakers. This assumes the rider only wants to listen inside his helmet and not broadcast to the outside world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a shark bluetooth intercom headset with fm radio that I think is great because you have the music come thru nice and clear and you don't have all the road noise ,yet you can still hear whats going on around you, I'm on my burgman 650 with a Givi tall windshield on the highway and no problem hearing the music and I'm wearing a full face helmet.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I use a cheap knock off helmet headset I picked up on dx.com for about $40, and it works pretty well My brother's Can Am has 4 external speakers that I think only have slightly better sound at highway speeds, nothing is going to get great sound at 75.

Personally, I prefer the headset over external speakers....I don't want the whole world know I listen to Kenny G when I ride, scooters have a bad enough image as it is. :lol:

Reactions: BigSherm

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Helmet speakers work better than on-bike speakers (and Silver Dollar there pointed out another drawback to the latter). In-ear earphones (ear-buds) are better yet because they damp out wind noise to some extent, but they take a little extra time to put in or remove. If you are pressed for time at stops, as in group rides where you have to get going when everyone else does, the time saved by having in-helmet speakers might be worth the extra wind noise -- especially if you're not riding at freeway speeds.

Bluetooth helps a lot -- you don't have to worry about accidentally trying to step away from the bike while still plugged in -- but pairing the headset takes a few seconds.

·
Registered
375 Posts
In-ear phones (ear buds) are illegal to ride or drive with here in Minnesota. I haven't heard of anyone being stopped for them, but if you do get pulled over you can get an extra ticket for riding with a pair in your ears. So be aware that in some states you can run afoul of the law if you wear a set. I have one of the Senna intercom models, and it has in-helmet speakers that work well enough for me and have decent sound when I'm wearing ear plugs (which I wear). With the Burgman's windshield, I can listen to music or podcasts while I'm commuting, although more often than not, I prefer to listen to the engine and the noises around me. I think that is because when I started riding, we didn't have portable electronics and I got used to just having road noises for my riding companions. I also started before we knew about the importance of ear plugs, which I'm regretting these days.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I use Scalarider audio kit for Qz. For me it is a very good system. Bluetoothed to my smartphone with unlimited data plan I can listen to anything I want over the internet or my phones mp3 player, make or recieve phone calls with a touch of a button or voice command ( something I don't even do in my car). The in helmet speakears produce a quality sound that far surpasses any external speaker system I have heard. The auto volume control is awsome. It lowers the volume at slower speeds or comining to a stop, then gradualy increases volume as you get up to highway speeds. The software is upgradeable. I don't need an intercome system that links up to other bikes in the group, hand signals work for me. I ride alone 98% of the time anyway. Oh ya, it can also run gps too, if I had one.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the Sena 5 bluetooth speaker.
I was looking at some motorcycle laws here in Minnesota. I see that you can not ride with two operating speakers in your helmet. Wondering if the general opinion is that a cop is going to actually have to catch us with two working speakers for us to be concerned with that law, or do you actually disable one speaker to be legal?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I have very good in-helmet speakers in my Schuberth helmet with SRC. However, I am in the process of transferring over my handlebar mounted speaker system from my old scooter. My thinking is that having music blasting directly into my ears can't be great for my hearing. If I'm not satisfied with the quality I get with the bar-mounted speakers, I'll remove them and stick with the helmet.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would say my quality of the speakers is fine and I try not to turn them up too much. I have a hearing loss in my left ear (I think it was from shooting shotgun left handed), so sometimes the volume goes up higher. And since this is also my way of answering the phone when needed, having the speakers on both sides helps me to hear the conversation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts