Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could use some advice on the cleaning of the inside of my helmet to get the smell of sweat out. Any suggestions? :(

·
Registered
794 Posts
After you get it clean

Can't help you with getting the inside of the helmet clean but I can suggest a way to keep the problem from recurring. I wear a balaclava in cold weather and a satin skull cap the rest of the tiem. When one of them gets funky, just toss it in the laundry.

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are several options concerning helmet cleaning. I personally recommend using rubbing alcohol to do a cleansing then apply some type of deoderant (fabreeze). They do make a helmet spray that is sold at dealerships to make them smell better. But nothing beats paying a little extra for a helmet that has a removable lining that can be washed. :idea:

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I've seen stuff advertised somewhere (can't remember where or when) that you spray on the liner and let dry. Personally, unless its a reallly high dollar hat, I'd just swish some mild detergent, or a little bit of dishwashing det, with warm water and rinse well. Might take a while to dry; just sit it out in the TX sun.

Most helmet liners are just foam with a padded liner. Not much to harm.

Matter of fact, my old one...which I still prefer over the new one..is also sort of funky. I'll go give it a sood swish and let you know the results in a day or so when it drys.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The helmet-specific (supposedly) stuff is sold for about $4.95-$6.95 a bottle. Cyclegadgets also sells it online. I think it's called HelmetSafe or Shield.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Besides cleaning a removable liner, the best item to use is the new fabreeze for autos. Does a great job.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Helmet Fresh spray is good, but being motorcycle specific it's more expensive than Fabreeze, which works well too.

Of course, Helmet Fresh is tested for use in a helmet that will be touching your scalp, while Fabreeze is intended for upholstery, etc. That might matter to some.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Took my helmet outdoors yesterday, filled it with warm water mixed with a little Woolite soap, swished it around with my hand, rinsed thoroughtly with water hose, sat it on top of the outside air conditioner to dry, and a few hours later I had a nice clean smelling helmet again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts