Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been monitoring the BurgmanUSA forums for a while and finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade from my old Honda Elite 150! Unfortunately I only got a few hundred klicks on it before winter arrived - but really enjoyed the extra power. I guess I will be suffering through the winter until I can get back on the road again with my "toys". :cry:

·
Registered
969 Posts
It's nice to see you've gone public, Jeff. :) What do you think so far?

Steve

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Jeff. Glad to have you join us. Hopefully we'll have a short winter so you can get back on the road and ride. :)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Jeff and welcome to the forums. I did the same as you last year. Got my Burgman real late in the season and only had 1 week to ride it before I stored it. It was a long winter but spring time was awesome.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum. Did you buy your Burgman at Blackfoot Motorsports?

I took a picture of my 82 year old Dad sitting on a 400 there. He looked too cool! 8) I'd post it, but it's on my laptop and I left it at work today.

What part of Calgary do you live in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the welcome!!

I'm afraid it will be a long winter this year - I did the same thing last year picking up my Miata just before Christmas, driving it home and putting it away. :(

Anyways, I picked up the 400 at GW Cycle World in Calgary's northeast. I had been bugging them all summer and they finally gave in and sold it to me for $6,900 Cdn, which I thought was a pretty good price (they even threw in a decent helmet). I did have a few weeks to try it out, putting about 450 km on it before it got just too darn cold!! Certainly had lots of people stop and ask me about it when I did get out.

I'm located in SW Calgary in Woodbine so can be out of the city and heading towards the mountains in only a few minutes - plus you can park a bike downtown for free still which is really great - and was one of the reasons I decided to take the plunge. :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
I took a picture of my 82 year old Dad sitting on a 400 there. He looked too cool! I'd post it, but it's on my laptop and I left it at work today.
Here is the picture of my Dad (with his hat on backwards :shock: ) sitting on the AN-400 at Blackfoot Motorsports. Not hard to tell that He really likes the bike. :D He's never been for a motorcycle ride before, so I am looking forward to riding out to Calgary next summer and putting him on the back of my 650.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have a 400, 2100 miles on it and I love it. It can be cold here in Las Vegas, but dressed right, you can still ride. The summers are tough and I never thought riding naked would be safe, but what a way the get in the news! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
vfdcaptain said:
Here is the picture of my Dad (with his hat on backwards :shock: ) sitting on the AN-400 at Blackfoot Motorsports. Not hard to tell that He really likes the bike.
Better watch it. I think I see another new Burgman rider on the horizon. Might not be long before you hear, "Son, where's the keys to the 650?". 8)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Better watch it. I think I see another new Burgman rider on the horizon. Might not be long before you hear, "Son, where's the keys to the 650?".
LOL! :lol:

I don't think so. He lives 600+ miles away. :( But it would be fun to see him ride his own 400. He's still in excellent health and enjoying life to the fullest. 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm afraid I'll never get my father onto the Burgman - not his style at all - but will maybe give it a try next he comes out for a visit from Ontario!

As for the winter - I can take cold okay, its that nasty icy stuff on our roads I fear on two wheels. When I first moved to Calgary 25 years ago there was a guy on a motorcycle who rode by every day while I waited for the bus. After the first snowfall we all figured he was done - but much to our amazement there he was, with a sidecar attached and and a full snowmobile outfit. Toughest guy I ever saw!! Or perhaps just too poor to afford a car? :!:

At least nobody can say it gets too hot here - have to get back to Las Vegas for that experience!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
When I first moved to Calgary 25 years ago there was a guy on a motorcycle who rode by every day while I waited for the bus.
When I lived in Calgary, I rode my bike 365 days a year. :geek: Dressed warm and rode carefully. At sixteen I took my motorcycle licence in the middle of raging blizzard. The examiner didn't want to get into his car, :scratch: but I insisted that since I had ridden from Fairview to Bowness on my Suzuki 80, the least he could do was do his job. I passed! Freezing cold :smurf: by the time I finally made it home, but I was happy! :hello1:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another Alberta Berg

My (relatively) new 650 Berg sits in the garage waiting for a Chinook so we can take a short ride. That's what winter is here - a series of short rides in the cold until that great Alberta summer comes back.

Then my Berg will learn how to be carried around on the back of a motorhome part time.

See you on the road.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
:hal Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Dave. Glad to have you join us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the welcome

My new 650 Berg and I share accomodation with a neurotic Norwich Terrier and a lovely and tolerant wife of 25 years in Calgary.

In the summer, we use the motorhome as much as possible and my spring project will be to install a proper mounting rack for Berg to come along with us. Berg replaced a 250 Honda Elite which weighed in at about 290 lbs. The rack we used for the Honda isn't suitable for the 650, but I've been researching and think I've come up with a possible solution. Just have to review the specs and mounting information. If it works, (or even if it doesn't) I'll offer a full report.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TRAILER ?????

I like to multi-task as much as possible and my solution will allow me to tow the car AND carry the Bergman. (or at least that's the plan)

It's quite easy to do with a diesel pusher because of frame placement - it's a bit more challenging with an A class because of weight distribution and limits on gross towing capacity (car and Berg)

On the other hand, there is no mechanical problem that cannot be overcome by brute strength and a large hammer. :?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts