Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband just ordered me a 2005 Burgman 650 in beautiful blue from a dealer in WA and it will be shipped up here to AK via barge in the next 2 weeks. I am very excited and nervous all at the same time. I currently own a Honda 250 Rebel which I purchased back in October and I've had a motorcyle learner's permit for about 5 months. I haven't been riding nearly that long though because the weather is just now starting to become nice enough to ride in. Anyways, I'm 5'5", 115 lbs and my inseam is 30.5". I'm concerned about the seat height of the 650 but my husband keeps telling me I'll be fine on it and that I can always scoot forward on the seat to put my feet down flat on the ground if I have to. My husband has a 2002 Honda Interceptor (VFR800) which he had me sit on because the seat height on it is 31.7". Just the balls of my feet were on the ground (1/2 heel on shoe) but he assured me I'd be fine on the 650. My Rebel seat height is 26.6! But I am flat footed and then some on the Rebel. The weight of the 650 is also a concern. My Rebel weights 375 lbs, which is plenty heavy to me! I know I'm probably worrying too much about this, but I just need some reassurance fom other women 650 riders out there.

I plan on taking the Motorcyle Safety Course this summer after we move to CA. It is not available here. In the meantime I hope to get as much riding in as I can before we move. We live on an island with a 2 laned highway that has a max speed of 50 mph and a total paved distance of maybe 35 miles. Should be good for practice :wink:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Jennrobin, welcome to the BurgmanUSA forum. :hello2:

You are very fortunate to have such a wonderful husband. :D Once you have a couple of rides on the 650, all your concerns will melt away. You are going to love it. Yes, it's a heavier bike, but the weigh is low down and you shouldn't have any problems. Of course, this is coming from a guy. 8) Hopefully the wonderful ladies on this forum will be able to help you out. :)

·
Registered
925 Posts
Welcome to the forum jennrobin!!! Congrats on the new 650. It won't take you long to get used to the weight of it, they don't feel nearly as heavy as they really are. Your height shouldn't be a problem either, as I believe there are shorter people here who ride the 650 with no problems. Also, I may be wrong, but I believe you are the first member from Alaska :wink: If there are any others, I haven't seen them yet. Enjoy your new ride :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Congratulations, jenrobin, I bet you're really excited! I can understand your concern, as the Burgie is a lot bigger than the little rebel, but as an old friend used to say when people asked her how she managed on such a heavy bike "I don't carry it, I ride it!" Although the Burgman does seem big and heavy, it is well balanced and you will soon get used to it.

Cheers,

bob

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums jennrobin. Glad to have you join us.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Greetings Jennrobin and welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new 650.Like Pauljo said, If you find you need a little more foot contact with the ground you can try thicker soled boots.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
You're not crazy, but I think that you soon may be in love! 8) With a AN650 that is!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks for all the replies! I'm sure I'll get use to the size...I just needed some reassurance I guess.

I just ordered some riding boots that have thick soles so I'm hoping that will help. Even if they don't help much, at least my feet will be protected when I run them over with my 500+ pound scooter! HA! My (wonderful) husband said that if I run over my own foot, I will be the first to have done so on a bike :D

This forum is great! I've been reading it for days (While I'm suppose to be working!) Thanks again for replying.

Jen

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Welcome jennrobin, always good to have another woman burg rider join the group.

You are lucky to have a more or less secluded highway with a low speed limit to learn/practice on.
Use it to to your advantage, weather permitting, CA will be more frantic.

I am 5' 7 (ish) and have a 29" inseam.
You girls are all legs (a good thing) :wink:
But I can relate to your concerns.

There are others on this forum vertically challenged like us who manage quite well, so I guess we will too. :)

Just treat the big burg with the respect 524 (plus) lbs. deserves, at slow speeds and when parking etc, and the rest is easy (so I hear anyway)
Handles well when moving etc.

I'm sure your husband will have lots of good advice for you too, sounds like he's been riding for a while.

The safety course is a real good idea too.
I take mine April 7th to 10th.

I plan to practice slow speed turning and parking a lot on Level smooth parking lots and progress to not so level, uneven parking lots as I progress, until I feel comfortable in any situation.

Like anything else it's a learning curve thing.

Enjoy your new Burg.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Rick, thanks for the advice. I've been riding jet skis for years (the "real" ones where you have to stand up and balance them while riding) so I'm just gonna try to convince myself that the 650 Burgman is merely a jet ski with wheels. Granted when you fall off a jet ski you won't hit pavement!

I'm not too worried about the size of the 650 once I'm moving along down the road, it's the slow speed maneuvering in parking lots, etc. that concerns me the most. My husband keeps telling me that I must remember to plan ahead when entering a parking lot because I could end up parked on an incline that could make it very difficult to back out of when leaving. He has been very helpful. He's been riding motorcyles for 18+ years and has owned several different types of bikes (but never a "scooter" :D )

I hope to get in as much riding time here on the island as possible, before we return to "America". I was born & raised in CA and quite frankly the place is SCARY! But hopefully the MSF course will help me build confidence in my riding ability and help prepare me for the dreaded CA highways.

Jen

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
jennrobin said:
I'm not too worried about the size of the 650 once I'm moving along down the road, it's the slow speed maneuvering in parking lots, etc. that concerns me the most.
Jen, don't be overly concerned about riding the 650 at slow speed. The bike has a low center of gravity and is very easy to balance at slow speed after you have a little experience. It's no problem to slow for a stop at a signal, stop sign, line of traffic, etc and actually stop and pause for a few seconds and then take off again without ever putting your feet down.
Enjoy your new "toy" and take some pictures for us of you and your husband with the bike with one of those beautiful Alaska backgrounds.
Don

·
Super Moderator
18,092 Posts
jennrobin,

With some practice in a parking lot, slow speed is a lot easier feathering between the rear brake and the throttle. At walking speed, carry a little power (1,200 to 1,500 rpm or so), and use more of the rear brake to slow you down, instead of closing the throttle completly. This tecnique is very simular to feathering a clutch on a manual transmission, and works quite well. Keeping a bit of power when your slowing down at speed, by slowly rolling of the throttle, also helps with some of the jerkeyness others have talked about at around 10 mph or so.

Enjoy

·
Registered
639 Posts
I concur with Jim. I found the 650 to be very easy to maneuver around by dragging the rear brake.

I figure the brakes should last a long time on this bike because you hardly use them exept at slow speed (ie. maneuvering and the final few feet at stop sign or light). It's merely a matter of technique that you'll pick up very quickly.

You'll never want a normal motorcycle after owning the Burgman, it's that good! 8)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jen you have received good advice from all above so let me just say welcome. I have had mine only a week and can confirm that Don is right on when he says you can balance when stopping for a few seconds without even dropping a foot. The only time you will notice any weight is when you sit down and straighten up the scooter in order to lift the side stand.
Phil

·
Registered
610 Posts
All of the above infomation is true. I've owned my now for 3 months now. I live in southern calif and ride the highway all the time. I try to stay in the carpool lanes when I can. As far as slow speeds go I can get the burgman down to about 3 to 5 mph without having to put my feet down. It easy after you get used to it. You'll love the ride :lol:

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
jennrobin said:
...it's the slow speed maneuvering in parking lots, etc. that concerns me the most. My husband keeps telling me that I must remember to plan ahead when entering a parking lot because I could end up parked on an incline that could make it very difficult to back out of when leaving....
In the beginning it's a good idea to "Power Walk" the Burgman (or any bike) during low speed manuevering by putting your feet down for balance and using the engine for forward impetus. But I think once you're used to it you'll find the 650, with its low center of gravity, to be more nimble than you'd at first think it could be.

I agree about planning ahead when parking. A fully fueled 650 weighs in at around 607 pounds, and can be a bear to back up an incline. One thing your husband probably doesn't know is that the 650 is easier to back with the engine off; since there's no clutch, the engine puts a little forward pressure on the rear wheel even at idle -- especially if it's cold and idling higher than when it's warm. I didn't believe this at first, so I tested it by backing up with the engine on and then thumbing the kill switch: wow, a noticable difference.

Even with the "engine off relief" though; if there's any question, I'll back into a parking stall that's on a down grade. Gravity will pull me in, with brakes for control, and the engine will get me out -- no sweating required.

BTW, the seat height on the 650 is 29.5" with the stock seat. If you can tip-toe your husband's bike, then with thick soled riding boots you should be fine on the Burgman.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts