Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 66 yr old retired EE that has been riding a Harley Low Rider the past couple years, after owning a Suzuki Intruder 1400 for 10yrs and 40K miles, but based on the urging of a friend who owns a scooter, I took the plunge and bought an '06 Burg 650 last week over in Tyler, TX and rode it 1200 miles back to Tucson, arriving midday today. I stayed over in Abilene the first night, Roswell, NM the second night, Show Low, AZ last night and rode home this morning. After that ride, the Harley is going to be sold!! :)

I had never actually seen or ridden a Burgman (400 or 650), but after reading such rave reviews on here, I went for it and am I ever glad I did!! The 650 is one sweet ride and a great traveling machine! I rode 1200 miles and don't feel like it at all. All days but today were very windy... nasty crosswinds, but the Burg handled incredibly well with only right hand on throttle. Curves, no problem.

The first evening I got a late start out of Tyler, due to a delay in my flight, then got stuck in accident backup south of Dallas on I-20 that took an 1.5 hrs extra to get by, so I got into Abilene after 10pm. The next day I got an earlier start and after riding the first evening all in Drive, I tried out manual shifting and OD and that was a nice surprise... rpms dropped and speed went up, so the rest of the ride home saw OD on the long stretches and downshift to 5 on long uphill grades. Short grades it ate up in OD. I was running 65-75 most of the time, but ran 80-85 in some long stretches (and was still getting passed). Fuel mileage ranged from 55 to 64, so I was very pleased!

Friday night I rode in pouring rain the last 10 miles into Show Low, AZ. I had suited up with rain gear in NM, before the AZ border, seeing black clouds ahead, so when it started raining hard, I never even slowed down and didn't get a bit wet. I had put Rain-X on my full face shield so the rain just blew right off.

The bike only had 2120 miles on it in 8 yrs and I put 1200 happy miles on it in 4 days! :p I can't say enough about what a great bike this is and I am so glad I took the comments from this forum to heart and went for the bike. I know I will get a lot of good use out of it and it will get lots of TLC like it's had up till now. It looks like a new one. It has a T-Box on the back, which was great hauling my stuff and a large duffell bag, that I carried helmet, chaps and riding gear in on my flight to Tyler. fit under the seat.

I look forward to monitoring and participating in this forum. I'm a DIY kind of guy and I know I'll be able to learn a lot here. I already watched some of the YouTube service videos before I left to get the bike, so I will be reading and watching more videos when I have time.

Cheers,
JimH in Tucson

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Wow, when you go for it, its head first, off the high dive for you. I don't think I'd ever take an unproven bike 1200 miles first time around. Thats a lot of trust to put in a machine you've never ridden. But then again, its a burgman.

I love stories like yours! Long time rider, never really thought about a scooter, then one day boom, the world opens up a bit. I love the "wow, I didn't think it could do THAT" stories. The burgies are true sleepers in that regard.

You will love your new bike. Sounds like you've got a lot of time together. Enjoy it. You deserve it after a long life working hard.

And welcome to BUSA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes, that's me.... dive head first! I do my research and go for it. I bought my airplane without ever seeing one or riding or flying one, but after reading lots of rave reviews from airline and military pilots I bought one, so I figured buying a Burgman without seeing a real one or riding it should work out ok, given what I read about them here. But this bike exceeded my expectations by alot. If I had bought the bike and had it shipped home and rode it around town or the local area, I wouldn't have near the appreciation I have now, after a trip like this, showing me what it can do. Same with my plane... after a 1 hr checkout with an instructor, I flew it solo from the Bay area to Tucson and was sold on it and went ahead and sold my Cessna... :) Life's short, you gotta go for it is my motto. Cheers, Jim

Wow, when you go for it, its head first, off the high dive for you. I don't think I'd ever take an unproven bike 1200 miles first time around. Thats a lot of trust to put in a machine you've never ridden. But then again, its a burgman.

I love stories like yours! Long time rider, never really thought about a scooter, then one day boom, the world opens up a bit. I love the "wow, I didn't think it could do THAT" stories. The burgies are true sleepers in that regard.

You will love your new bike. Sounds like you've got a lot of time together. Enjoy it. You deserve it after a long life working hard.

And welcome to BUSA.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ah a pilot, I should have known. I work at a large charter company (Gulfstreams, lears, Challengers, etc) and know a lot of pilots. You flyboys aren't afraid of taking well informed, calculated risks. You're well prepared for any emergency I'm sure. It's in your nature.

I'm so glad the Burg exceeded your expectations. As a pilot I'm sure you demand high standards from your vehicles. I'm know the bike will continue to surpass them. Wait until you get into some tight twisties. That's when that Power button really comes into its own. Its worth the price of admission right there. I've yet to ride with a MC that can surpass it. But then again I don't hang with sport bikers.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Welcome from Tampa, Jim! The furthest I've ever ridden a new bike home is about 600 miles from Florence, SC. But the Burg is a great machine and if it seemed good when I first picked it up, I wouldn't fret over the 1200 miles. I'm sure that by now you know you've picked a winner - congratulations and welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
Jim02u,

Welcome to the forum! I'd love to take a look at your new acquisition and perhaps go for a ride with you. If you plan on installing a true cruise control, I'd be happy to help (see my sig).

-Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guilty as charged

I think you pegged me pretty well.... I did the trip planning for this adventure like I do flight planning, plus I've done some 4-6K multi week camping trips on my Intruder, so I was equipped with all gear I needed for this trip, most of which got used at one time or another. I used a sheepskin under me, had good lumbar support for the back and a home made throttle helper from a friend so the right hand didn't cramp or go numb, all things I knew from experience, so I felt good after the trip, with no new aches or pains, which is saying something for an old fart like me.... :)

Interesting that you mentioned the power button..... I haven't tried that yet and wasn't sure when to use it. I'll have to read up on it and try it out.

I'm excited that I'll be able to ride the Burg to the airport when I go flying, carrying headsets and flight bag or tools when I'm working on the plane, so it has a lot of utility value, as well as great performance and I couldn't be more pleased.

Ah a pilot, I should have known. I work at a large charter company (Gulfstreams, lears, Challengers, etc) and know a lot of pilots. You flyboys aren't afraid of taking well informed, calculated risks. You're well prepared for any emergency I'm sure. It's in your nature.

I'm so glad the Burg exceeded your expectations. As a pilot I'm sure you demand high standards from your vehicles. I know the bike will continue to surpass them. Wait until you get into some tight twisties. That's when that Power button really comes into its own. Its worth the price of admission right there. I've yet to ride with a MC that can surpass it. But then again I don't hang with sport bikers.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Howdy to a fellow Tucsonian!

Hi Dave, thanks. Let's get together sometime. I'm up in Oro Valley. What part of town do live? I'm hefnerjim at geemail. Would love to hear and see more on your cruise control...sounds interesting. Jim

Jim02u,

Welcome to the forum! I'd love to take a look at your new acquisition and perhaps go for a ride with you. If you plan on installing a true cruise control, I'd be happy to help (see my sig).

-Dave

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I-10 and Prince. I also have other mods to my beast that might interest you. You can PM me here on the forum.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I had seen lots of good photos and had talked extensively with the seller, who had the oil changed and the bike checked out, since he knew I planned the long ride. After seeing the bike in person and hearing it run, I bought it without even taking it for a test ride.....trusting sole or stupid most might think...both might be right, but I had a good feeling about the seller and the bikes condition matched the photos, so I took a chance and it paid off. The seller and his wife plan to stop in Tucson and I plan to take them flying, so I also made new friends in the process. :) I looked at the 1200 mile trip as 4 300 mile trips, so no big deal on a daily ride basis. Longest day was 365 at 6 hrs on Google maps. I've done a few 550 mile days on the Intruder, so this was no big deal for me, even though that was 9 yrs ago when I did those rides. I could never have survived that trip on my Harley!

Welcome from Tampa, Jim! The furthest I've ever ridden a new bike home is about 600 miles from Florence, SC. But the Burg is a great machine and if it seemed good when I first picked it up, I wouldn't fret over the 1200 miles. I'm sure that by now you know you've picked a winner - congratulations and welcome to the forum!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Welcome Jim from the desert of So. Cal around Palm Springs. Only 2120 miles on it in 8 years wasn't even broke in good yet. I sure love my 09 650. I put on the same miles that I bought it with in 7 months that the first owner took 4 years to do. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome Jim from the desert of So. Cal around Palm Springs. Only 2120 miles on it in 8 years wasn't even broke in good yet. I sure love my 09 650. I put on the same miles that I bought it with in 7 months that the first owner took 4 years to do. ;)
Thanks Mike. You are right about the break-in, but this trip sure finished the job! :) When I checked the oil on the stand at home, the oil was right at the full marks, so that was a happy sight! I expected it to be down some after 4 days of hard rides.
I'm sure enjoying my new ride and have already used LeDude's great fix it links to change oil and remove/install the windscreen, which will be replaced next week.
I enjoyed meeting Dave Redbeard this week and seeing his nice 650 Exec. I also enjoyed taking him on his maiden flying experience... :) We'll do some rides together after I finish the annual on my plane, so I'm looking forward to that.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
New owner - old rider. Looking for a riding buddy. Let me know where you're located and I'll ride over to say hi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts