Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my firar scooter in 1963. It was a 59 Allstate (Cushman) piece of crap I bought for $70 and sold for $70. I bought my first motorcycle in 1975 when I bought a 74 Suzuki GT185. I then several Hondas, including a CB350, CB500, Honda Moped, V45 Magna, GL1100 Goldwing as well as a Kawasaki GPZ550.I then started buying BMWs. I had a K100RT and a K75RT before I bought a R80RT and a R1200CLC that I still have.

I live in the mountains in Virginia that is within a short ride of NC, WV, KY and TN. I live about 3 miles from the Back of the Dragon (http://backofthedragon.com/). We have steep crooked mountain roads regardless of the direction we ride.

A fellow BMW rider (R1200RT) bought a Burgman 650 last spring and bragged about the way it handled the mountain roads and its power. He finally talked me into riding it last Thursday. I rode it through the mountains and across the Back of the Dragon. I was impressed and came home and started looking for a Burgman for myself. I found a really nice black 08 Burgman 400 in Tennessee on Craig's List about 75 miles from me (that's close in the sticks). It seemed to be priced right ($3,200) so I bought it the next day and picked it up on Saturday. I chose the 400 over the 650 because it is much lighter, has a lower seat for my short inseam, gets better fuel mileage and has a much simpler transmission even I can easily repair.

I will probably sell my really nice antique R80RT airhead and keep my R1200CLC for long trips. The CLC is good for trips because it is heavy, has cruise, power ABS brakes, heated seats, heated grips and a AM/FM/CD/Weather band radio along with a full fairing, bags and trunk.

If you ever want to ride great roads with few other vehicles and friendly people, come on down and I will show you around.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Hey! Welcome to the site.
Add your location to your profile to help others find you or for help. I am located down in
TN and know your area well. Where are you located in Tazewell or Marion?

I bet you were not out riding today, it is rather nasty out.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chet_Benson said:
Hey! Welcome to the site.
Add your location to your profile to help others find you or for help. I am located down in
TN and know your area well. Where are you located in Tazewell or Marion?

I bet you were not out riding today, it is rather nasty out.
We're almost next door neighbors. I live near Marion and my oldest daughter lives in Kingsport and her husband is an engineer at Eastman. My first cousin lives on the lake at Piney Flats and I have a mess of relatives in Elizabethton. I bought my scooter in Telford and gave my next door neighbor his first tour of Jonesboro when we picked it up. Been snowing all day at my house and we have a few inches so far.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ah HA! You're the chap who bought Craig's scoot! I was planning on checking it out the Sunday after you picked it up on Saturday. Congratulations! I think you got a sweet deal, and you beat me to it by a couple of days. :thumbup:

I'm still looking...

Your neck of the woods has some terrific roads, BTW.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Welcome neighbor! Enjoy your new ride! I'm just down the road a bit from Chet, but still not too far from you.
Lots of helpful folks here and lots of info and How to... videos. :thumbup:

Ride safe!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Welcome to the site and the Burgman community. I think you'll really enjoy the 400, you obviously went in to the purchase eyes wide open and researched so you know the pluses and minuses of the bike. I have ridden east of you and south in TN and NC a couple of times this year. I am from over in Louisville, KY. Next Spring/Summer we are planning at least two rides in your general area and maybe we could incorporate the Back of the Dragon in one of them.

Glad to have you on board from a Fellow Black 2008 - 400 owner
Deedah

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wldbill said:
Ah HA! You're the chap who bought Craig's scoot! I was planning on checking it out the Sunday after you picked it up on Saturday. Congratulations! I think you got a sweet deal, and you beat me to it by a couple of days. :thumbup:

I'm still looking...

Your neck of the woods has some terrific roads, BTW.
Craig told me he had been talking with someone from Knoxville that was going to look at it on Sunday. Craig is one of the nicest people you will ever meet and I hope the surgery goes well on his neck.

By the way, Craig had it listed with a mileage of 14,000. When he was showing me the bike, he discovered he had taken the mileage from the trip meter with the tenths and the scooter actually has 9,400 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Deedah said:
Welcome to the site and the Burgman community. I think you'll really enjoy the 400, you obviously went in to the purchase eyes wide open and researched so you know the pluses and minuses of the bike. I have ridden east of you and south in TN and NC a couple of times this year. I am from over in Louisville, KY. Next Spring/Summer we are planning at least two rides in your general area and maybe we could incorporate the Back of the Dragon in one of them.

Glad to have you on board from a Fellow Black 2008 - 400 owner
Deedah
Come down my way next spring or summer and I can show you a bunch of other really good rides around me. I set up about half a dozen good rides for the BMW MOA for the rally they had in Johnson City about three years ago (I think we had about 8,000 attendees). If you have not done so, you also need to ride the Snake around Shady Valley, Tn.(http://www.421thesnake.com/) .

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chet_Benson said:
Hey Os you best check your purchase date you are off a tad.
Purchase date: 26 Oct 1912

Wild Bill there is another good one over in NC
http://www.reachoo.com/ads/76968823?utm_source=claz
wILD BILL--Also, if you want a 650, I found a good deal in Charlotte. It was my second choice if I had not bought the 400. I would have probably gotten it anyway if they did not insist on documentation fees that brought the price up to $4,800. http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mcd/3348121898.html

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
Wild Bill just got rid of a 650 he learned he really wants a 400.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Chet's right; I enjoyed my 650 a lot, but my knees and shoulders tell me a 400 with lower seat and lighter weight is more in line with my (ahem,,,) "maturity."

The mileage was under 10K, Os? You got a sweeter deal than I thought! Good thing I didn't get there first! :lol:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to get the 400 over the 650 for the same reasons you are making the switch. I have noticed a difference in the last few years as I am more aware of the 700+ pounds of my R1200CLC. Do you think starting Medicare might have something to do with it? The discontinued cruisers (R1200C and R1200CLC) are the only BMWs with a low seat.

When I saw the scooter, I knew I was going to buy it at the price Craig had given me (he had already said not to waste my time to look at it if I wanted to buy it cheaper). The lower miles was a bonus. Craig was selling the scooter because he is having surgery for a herniated disc in his neck. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met and I really enjoyed the little time I had with him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts