Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently do not own a Burgman. I have a sick Piaggio MP3 500 and by sick I don't mean in a good way. I currently hang out mostly and am a moderator at Modernvespa.com

I fully plan to fix my MP3 but it may be awhile before I can get to it and being a daily commuter it is crimping my style not to be riding. I have not ridden a Burgman but am familiar with them and hear a lot of good things. A local Yamaha dealer here has a used one I am considering as a second scoot so I thought it would be logical to create an account here. So I am off to ask newby questions. :)

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Burgman's

You will enjoy the Burgman especially the 650EX. I am on my second one with 45,000 miles on the first one and now pushing 27,000 miles on the second one.

If it's a used one take it for a spin and see what you think. :p

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I currently do not own a Burgman. I have a sick Piaggio MP3 500 and by sick I don't mean in a good way. I currently hang out mostly and am a moderator at Modernvespa.com
Perhaps I have a question for you.

My buddy had his MP3 head bearing changed and the shop told him to come back in 600 miles for an adjustment. Before that limit came due, we was in an accident, right in front of me. Coming into a corner, his steering mechanism locked up and he couldn't get it to lean. Went right off the road. luckily hit soft dirt. He's fine. Bike is totaled. He's riding a burgman now.

Have you heard of any mp3 steering lockup stories?

Oh, and welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome

I've found the 650 Burgman to be the perfect motorcycle/scooter for Florida. Great handling and plenty of power for any type of paved road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi; Spinner here, in Ormond Beach, Fl. Get a Burg 650 quickly and enjoy this beautiful Paradise weather. I have an '05, with 4500 miles on it (hardly broken in). But--I'm a bit on the elderly side, so --it's triked, with a bolt-on kit made here in Fl. SWEET!!

·
Registered
347 Posts

My buddy had his MP3 head bearing changed and the shop told him to come back in 600 miles for an adjustment. Before that limit came due, we was in an accident, right in front of me. Coming into a corner, his steering mechanism locked up and he couldn't get it to lean. Went right off the road. luckily hit soft dirt. He's fine. Bike is totaled. He's riding a burgman now.

Thank God your friend is ok, I don't feel guilty for laughing, Some how he engaged the tilt lock, which I thought could not be done at high speeds. I had a fear that the tilt lock would engage while making a corner when I test drove one, glad it didn't. They are quite fun to ride though. I couldn't buy it because of the tilt lock. Too high tech for me. I am not sure but I think they are run with hydraulics and I have heard that they can get weak and go bad just by being parked too long,like a few weeks.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thank God your friend is ok, I don't feel guilty for laughing, Some how he engaged the tilt lock, which I thought could not be done at high speeds. I had a fear that the tilt lock would engage while making a corner when I test drove one, glad it didn't. They are quite fun to ride though. I couldn't buy it because of the tilt lock. Too high tech for me. I am not sure but I think they are run with hydraulics and I have heard that they can get weak and go bad just by being parked too long,like a few weeks.
You know, had it not happened right in front of me, and had my friend not been an excellent rider, I would be skeptical. But it did and he is. And just 15 minutes beforehand, we were carving up twisties at 8k feet. Makes me shudder to think of the consequences if it happened then.

But needless to say, he's okay and really happy on his 650 now.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
You know, had it not happened right in front of me, and had my friend not been an excellent rider, I would be skeptical. But it did and he is. And just 15 minutes beforehand, we were carving up twisties at 8k feet. Makes me shudder to think of the consequences if it happened then.

But needless to say, he's okay and really happy on his 650 now.
I looked seriously at a 500cc MP3 before buying my Burgman. That front end on the bike finally scared me off especially after talking with a guy here that had one. It got into his pocketbook pretty hard for some repairs to the front end of his bike. The nearest dealer was 90 miles away to boot. I just decided that the Burgman 650 would do the job for me now. Have had my Burgman for a year and a half and am happy with the bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sorry I hadn't been back in a few days.

No I have never heard of that happening while moving. I have been a regular on the modernvespa mp3 board since 2008 and never a report of this. A few reports of the tilt lock not unlocking or locking but never while moving. Conditions for the lock to activate are all three of these conditions:
1. You must be on the seat.
2. You must be moving under 5 mph.
3. Your rpms must be under 2000

There are sensors for all three. It would seem highly unlikely that all three would be duff at the same time and like someone else said you would still have to hit the lock switch on the right handlebar.

Are you sure it actually locked? I have heard of a few instances where something, a mod like a horn or another component comes loose and interferes with the suspension restricting the lean but even those are rare.

Glad your friend was alright btw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts