Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,200 Posts
I picked up a used 2003 650 today. Had to drive around 450 miles round trip to get her. Based on the 4+ hrs drive back, I will be looking into driver backrest and a throttle lock. It had exactly 8000 miles on it. Seller had just installed new tires on it and completed a fresh oil/filter change. I plan to change the remaining fluids for good measure. The test drive was my first experience with a Burgman. I have owned various bikes over the years........everything from dirt bikes, cruisers, touring/sport touring, one scooter and general street bikes. Since I have been researching the Burgman, I didn't have any serious surprises. It took me a few miles to adjust to the left hand brake and engine braking characteristics. My first complaint involves the control buttons on the left side handlebar. There is a lot going on in a small area. Finding and pushing the correct button was not intuitive and its worse at night, since they aren't backlit.
@bmjohnson35
Welcome sir. The 650 is a great machine. It appears you made a good choice in bikes. I recall so well my first ride on a Burgman. There are a few differences between it and other "regular" bikes but the more you ride it, the better you will like it. I agree with the lack of back lights on the controls as I ride a couple different bikes. It sometimes takes a few extra pushes of the buttons to get the desired results but it's really minor so it doesn't bother me. Keep up the riding and posting about what and where you are going.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My first complaint involves the control buttons on the left side handlebar. There is a lot going on in a small area
I agree with you totally. I use my 650 primarily for commuting. Now that it's winter (Pennsylvania), dark both ways, and I'm wearing bulky winter bike gloves, I've hit the boost button a couple times instead of the turn signal. Other than the pucker factor, it has the definite effect of waking you up better than coffee!

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's a Silver unit.
I have started researching and see there are a few options out there. Which back rest are you trying out?
I'm going to try the throttle lock first and see how I like.
Here is the backrest kit I bought.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Welcome to the Forum bmjohnson35 and congratulations on finding that low mileage Burgman; what a I find! A little warning...don't tell MikeyMarine where you keep your refreshing beverages no matter how many times he asks.
I've had my Burgman for a few months and haven't put 450 miles on it yet; you're off to a good start.
Throttle lock works for me on my r100rs and cheap. Enjoy your ride.
And is OEM on those period BMW Airheads. Worked well

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
And is OEM on those period BMW Airheads. Worked well
I bought the Cat O-ring and it works amazingly well. I don't use it around town, but on long stretches, it works just fine on our flat Florida roads. I will see how long it lasts.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts