Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a used 2003 650 today. Had to drive around 450 miles round trip to get her. Based on the 4+ hrs drive back, I will be looking into driver backrest and a throttle lock. It had exactly 8000 miles on it. Seller had just installed new tires on it and completed a fresh oil/filter change. I plan to change the remaining fluids for good measure. The test drive was my first experience with a Burgman. I have owned various bikes over the years........everything from dirt bikes, cruisers, touring/sport touring, one scooter and general street bikes. Since I have been researching the Burgman, I didn't have any serious surprises. It took me a few miles to adjust to the left hand brake and engine braking characteristics. My first complaint involves the control buttons on the left side handlebar. There is a lot going on in a small area. Finding and pushing the correct button was not intuitive and its worse at night, since they aren't backlit.

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
Mostly you can ignore most of the left hand buttons and live with the bike fine. I still have a hard time finding High/Low beam at night.
Your thumb's muscle memory will soon find the turnsignals in the dark.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Congratulations! What color did you get? With the butt rest on, my tailbone starts to hurt after some miles. It’s more comfortable with it removed. I have a backrest kit arriving tomorrow! Throttle locks are nice, but I absolutely love my electronic cruise control system! I still keep a throttle lock on too.

·
Premium Member
4,299 Posts
Mostly you can ignore most of the left hand buttons and live with the bike fine. I still have a hard time finding High/Low beam at night.
Hearing You say that ….. makes Me feel so much better.
I only use the Power Button during daylight hours. 🥴

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Welcome, I think all of us have instinctively pulled in the rear brake thinking it was the clutch on our first couple of rides and gotten a nice surprise!

Reactions: airhead83

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Welcome aboard the board BMJ35.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed. The turn signals button is most important.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congratulations! What color did you get? With the butt rest on, my tailbone starts to hurt after some miles. It’s more comfortable with it removed. I have a backrest kit arriving tomorrow! Throttle locks are nice, but I absolutely love my electronic cruise control system! I still keep a throttle lock on too.
It's a Silver unit.
I have started researching and see there are a few options out there. Which back rest are you trying out?
I'm going to try the throttle lock first and see how I like.

·
Premium Member
18,066 Posts
there are several 650 owners in central Florida, maybe one is near you , where do you store your refreshin beverages??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
there are several 650 owners in central Florida, maybe one is near you , where do you store your refreshin beverages??
Haven't gotten that far yet. I drove it straight home yesterday, but don't have tag/registration yet. I had to make an appt to get the title transferred, so I can't ride it until I get title transferred and tag on her. I will probably try to get fluids replaced, perform an overall visual inspection and clean/wax her up. My appt is for Thursday afternoon, so until then, she's in the garage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see a reference to a knowledge base. Is it no longer available? User groups usually have a maintenance and repair library. Is there not one on here?

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
We have a 'How To' section.

But the old Knowledge Base was lost years ago. There is a link to it archived but a lot of pictures are lost.

BUT, there is LeDude's pages for the 2002-2012 Burgman 650's

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have a 'How To' section.

But the old Knowledge Base was lost years ago. There is a link to it archived but a lot of pictures are lost.

BUT, there is LeDude's pages for the 2002-2012 Burgman 650's

Thanks!

·
Administrator
22,436 Posts
My first 2003 650 was SILVER. Then 2 Gold 650's and now current 2003 is BLUE.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Welcome to the Forum bmjohnson35 and congratulations on finding that low mileage Burgman; what a I find! A little warning...don't tell MikeyMarine where you keep your refreshing beverages no matter how many times he asks.
I've had my Burgman for a few months and haven't put 450 miles on it yet; you're off to a good start.
Throttle lock works for me on my r100rs and cheap. Enjoy your ride.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts