Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking delivery of a new 2013 Burgman 650 tomorrow. Very excited. I expect to enjoy it primarily for commuting in So Cal, lane sharing and carpool lanes. I'll probably take it on random mountain rides with friends. Never owned a CVT so I'm nervous about liking it but every review tells me this big burger is what I want. I looked for a used one for a while, no joy, and considered a Piaggio 500 cc MP3 or the BMW C650GT.

But my local Piaggio dealers are entirely clueless while Piaggio America was entirely non-responsive when I contacted them. The BMW sure seemed like a contender but the seat is high (even with the Low seat) and not as comfortable. Leg room was good though. It also loses too many comparisons for the features I value (BMW wins on handling but I'm not as sporty as I used to be).

I haven't been riding anything for a couple of years. My early hip arthritis and my main riding buddy moving away led me to sell my 2008 BMW R1200RT. I couldn't really enjoy four-plus hour saddle time any more and I always felt if I dropped it I'd need help picking it up. I know the technique but one hip will not bend enough to easily walk it up.

I did drop my 2003 FJR1300 once (0 MPH, U-turn on a very steep Malibu road) but several riding buddies were to there to help... and never let me forget it. The only mitigating fact is, one of them knocked another one's mirror off at a stop sign on another ride, so I had some ammunition.

Before that I had a 2001 BMW R1200C. Yes, the James Bond movie cruiser. WAY too many warranty fixes, the side stand arm scraped too easily in left handers, and too many design compromises (hmm, have to raise the tank to access the battery but it didn't come as maint-free type from the factory?!). My later R1200RT also spent time in the shop under warranty so I'm not so enthused about paying BMW's price for a less-than-reliable ride.

On the other hand, I am a fan of BMW's. I learned on my dad's 1973 R75/5 way back when. And I wrote a fairly popular blog about restoring it after he passed away (penforhire.wordpress.com).

Maybe what clinched the deal to select a Burgman 650 is the active community here and resources such as LeDude's maintenance postings. I am a mechanical idiot but I can follow such detailed instructions.

Anyway, in a day or so I will be on roads and endangering the sidewalks.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
:wave: Welcome from the desert around Palm Springs Ca. I know you will be very happy with your new ride. What dealer are you getting it from?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Desert Rat. Gets hot out there! I bought from Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside. There are only a few left-over 2013's left in the area. I contacted my closest six dealers. MS had 2 and Bert's has 1. Nobody else had any and the 2014's have not arrived yet. Besides, I got a decent discount on a new 2013 and a better, to me, white color.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Last time I was in Chaparral they still had a 13 but that was a month ago. A co-worker of my son bought a left over 12 from them just a couple of weeks ago. He test rode mine & that was all it took. ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Best of luck with your new 650! You sure live in a great part of the country to enjoy it. Think about all of us stuck back east in the cold & snow. Mark

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hey a local boy! Welcome to BUSA. The burgman community is filled with ex BMW, Harley, Goldwing, etc riders. I had a Honda ST100 back in the day and none of us regret getting a Burgman. They are the best bikes I've ever owned. I'm sure you'll love it.

When you get your training wheels off (lol), him me a holler. I'm very active in the riding community here in So Cal and there are group rides every weekend. I can point you to the best groups in town if you're interested.

Have fun on that new bike!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Mark, I smile every time I see the weather reports in the middle of winter. Even during 'normal' years there is a finger of warmth that rises out of Mexico and ends, oh, right about here. You can laugh at me but there are still days I use a Gerbings electric jacket liner and gloves here.

My mother lives in NYC so I know the miserable series of storms you guys endured. I also worked for three years near Syracuse NY so I know about having to put away my ride for the season (that sucks!).

Liam, thanks for the offer. I have a box full of pins from the years I rode the SC-MA monthly rides, though I never had the time to try the Three Flags rally. My riding buddy and I used to enjoy taking wrong turns on those rides. We surely do live in 2-wheel heaven, from Angeles Crest Highway to Palomar Mountain to Ojai to the high deserts North and East of LA.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Hey the low desert isn't bad to ride in either. That is until it gets over 110 degrees. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts