Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!
As of 5-14-05 @ 6:00P, I am the proud owner of a 2205 Silver Burgman 650.
I haven't actively been riding or owned a motorcycle in apprx 25 years. My husband, Mike and I bought a Kawasaki Ninja 500 in 12-2000 and sold it 3-04. I didn't like it AT ALL and except for a few short spins never rode it after the initial few weeks. I also do not like being ridden and only let Mike take me with him a few times. It had a weird center of gravity and was heavy. Our mistake was we didn't ride it first before buying.
Mike had been looking a the scooters for several weeks. The plan was to ride a 400 first and see how we like it and buy 2 of them. But the dealership would not let us test drive without buying first, then we could ride it for 10 miles to see if we wanted it. If not, they would tear up contract. Bought the 650 since I want to drive it work which is apprx 40 miles one way, almost all freeway. I was worried about the semi's blowing me around on a 400, and figured a 650 would be the best if I could handle it. Except for my u-turns being a little shaky, I did ok. Didn't go very fast 20+ mph and the ride wasn't very long (short street and construction at the end of it). Going straight was a piece of cake, but it is odd not having to shift (I was concentrating so hard about when I was going to have to turn around, I can't tell you if I went fast enough for it to get out of 1st.
We live in the country, so I think a 400 would have been the better choice for fun, but I have to think about gas prices. We will probably get a 400 someday. I hope the 650 isn't too much for me afterall and I can roam the country side just as easily on the 650.

Thanks for reading and all encouraging remarks welcomed!!
Faith

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Hi Faith an Hubz!

Cool Beans! A brand new 650!

Welp - I might as well beat our saftey freaks to the punch!! Please make sure that you get with the program in the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) - sponsored rider training class before you get too many miles under your wheels. It's invaluable information and it very well could be a life saver. Also make sure you have the proper riding attire also!

Be safe and welcome to the ICOBO!!!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Welcome! I'm down about 250 miles southeast of you. I agree with Pete about the safety class and the gear. They are well worth the time and money! :) I think you will like the 650 more and since you will be travelling at higher speeds I suspect you will get fairly decent MPG since the 650 runs 2000-3000 RPMs less.
On my 400 it seems that at 60MPH I run about 6K RPM and at 70 I run about 7K RPM. I've heard reports that at 65-70 the 650 runs around 4K RPM.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Faith

Well congratulations and welcome to the forum.

You know changing gear is a greatly overrated pastime in a cage or on a bike.

Now then here you are on a new machine and you can just concentrate on getting from A to B safely without being hung up on I am in the right gear or should I change down here etc. Forget the gears - you have not really got any! Almost no one use the manual mode (pre determined transmission ratios) - but the grey power button does give you that get up and go if you should need it.

Stay safe!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings Faith and welcome to the forum. Just take it easy for a little and get yourself acquainted with your new ride. I think you chose wisely :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
pupkeep said:
As of 5-14-05 @ 6:00P, I am the proud owner of a 2205 Silver Burgman 650.
Welcome, Faith. You're the third Faith I've ever known. I don't suppose you have a sister named Hope, do you? Why? Because the other two Faiths do!

Anyway, I'm extremely jealous. I don't know how you advanced in time to buy a 2205 anything, but I'll bet it has some cool features not available on the 2005. Does it have a hover mode? How about warp speed? :p

Dave B.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums Faith. Glad to have you join us. Congratulations on the new Burgman 650.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
4DThinker said:
...Anyway, I'm extremely jealous. I don't know how you advanced in time to buy a 2205 anything, but I'll bet it has some cool features not available on the 2005. Does it have a hover mode? How about warp speed? :p
I don't know about hover mode or warp speed, but the time travel function seems to work great. :wink:

Seriously, though; welcome to the ICOBO, Faith! :hello2:

As long as your feet reach the ground safely, I don't think the 650 will be more than you can handle. Just take it easy at first, and practice, practice, practice. Whatever is the hardest for you (usually U-turns) is what you should practice most.

It's a heavy beast, so plan ahead when parking. If you're parking on a down-slope, back in. You don't want to have to muscle your way uphill backwards out of a parking space.

Best wishes, and let us know how it's going from time to time.

·
Premium Member
211 Posts
Hey Pupkeep, welcome to the Burgman Forum. If you guys come to Tyler sometime, let me know your coming. I'll buy the coffee.
Happy trails,
Poppy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts