Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from NE Illinois. My name is Larry, 55, professionally a software developer, also a certified Motorcycle Safety Foundation Rider Coach. I bought my dark grey 2012 Burgman 650 Executive in July 2012, mainly to replace a 2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500 for which the local mechanic went from 20 to 320 miles away. I added the 55 liter Givi trunk with backrest and light kit. I average about 4,000 miles per year, mostly commuting in urban traffic or running errands. Occasionally there is the road trip. I'm more a utilitarian rider than recreational in that the main purpose for the bike is primary transportation as circumstance and weather permit. As with its predecessors, it must earn it's keep.

Though quite responsive, it did not seem that different from the Scarabeo, save pronounced engine braking and need for a more nuanced touch on the throttle. There are also many more controls plus the anti-lock brakes. The latter comes in handy when dealing with the pronounced engine braking. Once accustomed to the bike and adding a couple thousand miles on it, a couple things came to mind. One, it does everything when and how I ask it, with grace and no back challenge, if anything too well. Because of this, it has become a little boring in the way a highly engineered supercar is less fun if it makes racing easy and generally safe. On the other hand, this allows me to enjoy the surroundings more, that is if I get out on the open road Secondly, it is a classy ride. It is well suited to urban traffic and at home on the open road. An extra bonus is I no longer need to buy the expensive gasoline at 20-35 cents per gallon over regular or change the drive belt and rollers every 12,000 miles.

I'd recommend this machine to an experienced rider though not a newbie.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
Welcome Larry...from whatever part of
NE Illinois is home.
Lets see....Chicago is in the NE...
I've heard of that place.

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Welcome to BUSA from the Heart of America-Kansas City! JC

1 - 4 of 4 Posts