Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really enjoy this site. I just purchased a new 2018 Burgman 400. I am in the break in phase and that is slow go. I rode when I was much younger and am approaching retirement now. I think it is time to enter my second childhood and have some fun.

·
Super Moderator
2,289 Posts
Sounds good. It's been a while since there's been a Cincinatti Kid :). Nice bike.
I debate changing in my 650 on a newer 400. Some don't like 'em but I kinda do. Especially in that blue.
Lose a bit of storage, but simpler design, better MPG, & the big front wheel should match the 650 a bit better in the front end feel.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Welcome cinciguy. I'm in Newport, just across the river, and recently retired. I have become addicted to the beautiful and curvaceous roads of Northern Kentucky.

I know guys and gals with Burgmans both around here and up in the Dayton area. I often ride with the mostly-motorcycle Tri-State Two Wheelers out of Cincy, and the mostly-scooter Gem City Rollers out of Dayton. The Rollers have a large contingent of Burgmans, of all generations and displacements.

There are also a couple of conventional scooter groups in Cincy but I do not recommend them if you care much about your safety.

The conventional "real world" wisdom about breaking in Burgmans is that the factory guidance is rubbish. Just operate it prudently, vary your speed and don't do any stupid WOT runs for a bit. Other than that, just RIDE it.

·
Premium Member
8,033 Posts
sometimes I wonder if the break in phase isn't designed to get rider and bike accustomed to each other , rather than the bike accustomed to running, now the initial service, that's more for the bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome cinciguy. I'm in Newport, just across the river, and recently retired. I have become addicted to the beautiful and curvaceous roads of Northern Kentucky.

I know guys and gals with Burgmans both around here and up in the Dayton area. I often ride with the mostly-motorcycle Tri-State Two Wheelers out of Cincy, and the mostly-scooter Gem City Rollers out of Dayton. The Rollers have a large contingent of Burgmans, of all generations and displacements.

There are also a couple of conventional scooter groups in Cincy but I do not recommend them if you care much about your safety.

The conventional "real world" wisdom about breaking in Burgmans is that the factory guidance is rubbish. Just operate it prudently, vary your speed and don't do any stupid WOT runs for a bit. Other than that, just RIDE it.
Thanks for the response dogboy. I live just south of Kings Island so Dayton is close. Glad to hear I could open it up some. Right now I'm in the getting acclimated phase. I haven't ridden for about 40 years. I have to get the muscle memory back and just get used to things. I'm having a blast so far and am really glad I made the purchase. It's a great opportunity to get out of the house and have some fun. I have to watch the sun though. I got toasted on Saturday. I have to buy some sun screen for sure.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thanks for the response dogboy. I live just south of Kings Island so Dayton is close. Glad to hear I could open it up some. Right now I'm in the getting acclimated phase. I haven't ridden for about 40 years. I have to get the muscle memory back and just get used to things. I'm having a blast so far and am really glad I made the purchase. It's a great opportunity to get out of the house and have some fun. I have to watch the sun though. I got toasted on Saturday. I have to buy some sun screen for sure.
A buddy of mine in nearby West Chester has been riding a Honda Valkyrie for some time and recently added a Burgman to his stable. He's loving it. We have been on some multiple day rides together, including to Maggie Valley (including the Rattler, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner 28, Rattler, Tail of the Dragon, Back of the Dragon, Snake, et al), so stay in touch. (You can always PM me.) I've taken the trip four times on my Burgman 400 (although now I have a 650) and it handled it with aplomb. And if you want to take a "gentle," but beautiful ride in NKY or east of Cincy, just let me know.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welcome cincyguy. I second dogboy's comments and recommendations. Have ridden with Tri-State Two Wheelsers (Maggie Valley Run on my 400) and a couple times with the Gem City Rollers. Good groups. Ride safe. I know 2 riders that have had pretty sever accidents in the past couple weeks.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I know 2 riders that have had pretty sever accidents in the past couple weeks.
It has been a bad couple of weeks around here. One fellow messed himself up pretty badly but he is also the most reckless rider I know even though he’s a really good guy. Another friend is a very safe rider and was riding particularly safety because he had his daughter in the back of his Goldwing. But an inattentive driver crossed the center line and put him in the hospital (his daughter is OK.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's always the one that you don't see that gets you. You also have to watch out for people pulling out of driveways too. Right now I'm doing a big circle on back roads trying to get the first 600 on the bike. Thanks for reaching out. Stay safe and be safe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts