Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Hello from Chicagoland

842 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  laf1157 
#1 ·
I'm not sure if I posted here back in February.

I have a 2012 Burgman 650 Executive picked up in July 2012 replacing a 2004 Aprilia Scarabeo 500. I have around 7,000 miles on it, mostly commuting in rush hour suburban traffic. My day job is a lead software developer. My side job is as an MSF Ridercoach (motorcycle instructor) in the NIU / UI regions in northern Illinois. I've been riding about 11 years averaging a little over 4,000 miles/year.

I'd say the motif for my bike is HYPER, as a gentle touch will result in great response. This would likely scare a rookie rider. Once adjusting to this, I've found the machine to do everything asked reliably without hesitation. Compared to other bikes that make you work for an appropriate response, it has gotten a little dull. On the upside, it allows me to enjoy the ride and focus on the hundred other things to consider each minute of my urban ride.

#2 ·
Yes you did - February 7th shortly after 4pm your time. You even got three responses!

Good to have another geek on board too. Bikes are pretty popular among the tech crowd where I work, though admittedly the fact that we live in Florida doesn't hurt at all. I've actually vacationed by riding through suburban Chicagoland out in the Mokena/New Lenox area a few years back. I have similar traffic down here in Tampa but afternoon rush hour is a 115F bake-off. Love it in winter though!

Welcome back :eek:ccasion9:

#3 ·
Welcome back. We could use more board traffic in the Winter, it gets pretty slow.

I rode to work and back in Indy today. Light snow, no accumulation, and a blustery 20 F.

I am trying some of those hand warmers in my gloves this Winter. Seem to help but placement in my glove is key. Otherwise I stay nice and warm behind my scooter screen.

Happy Thanksgiving.

#5 · (Edited)
Welcome back. We could use more board traffic in the Winter, it gets pretty slow.

I rode to work and back in Indy today. Light snow, no accumulation, and a blustery 20 F.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Yes, welcome back!

In deference to winter board traffic as Tim pointed out, I suppose its we fair weathered riders reaponsibilty to support this effort in these cold months. To that end here's a ride a few friends and I did this past weekend.

View attachment 19018

Good times. Happy thanksgiving everyone!

#4 ·
:wave: from the desert of So. Cal. around Palm Springs.

#6 ·
I noticed it was warm enough for lunch today so I took the bike. Surprisingly, I did not notice the profound engine braking which is often irritating. Maybe I've finally adapted. The other adaptation is to the speedometer reading 9-10% higher than actual speed. When the temperature drops below the mid-40s, the visor fogs up so I don't ride. Commuting stops when the autumn time change puts rush hour in the dark which is around 4:30pm. I don't mind riding in the dark or in urban rush traffic but not the two together.

Winter riding is limited and short. Regular riding starts in March through October as weather and circumstance permits. As an instructor, pre-season preparation starts in February, class bidding January-March. The annual de-brief was a couple weeks ago. There is the occasional winter seminar. I have an IDOT conference mid-December.

There are a number of riders amongst the IT crowd at work but I seem to be the only one that rides almost daily to work. There are a couple others that ride every week or so. I'm the odd one that sees it as primary transportation as it allows.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.