Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Foks,

I'd appreciate some feedback from riders that are familiar with cruisers and the Burgman 650.

I'm 60 years old, and have just signed up for a motorcyle lessons. I'm also trying to decide which way to go ... C50 (Suzuki Valusia 800) or Burgman 650.

Two of my friends I will be riding with both have cruisers (Honda 1800 and Yamaha road Star) and they obviously want me to get a cruiser however, I'm still not sure. Most of the trips would be day trips in the mounains with weekend trips thrown in on a regular basis.

The Burgman certainly appears to have much more comfort than a cruiser, however would I be able to keep up with them for long periods of time without running the Burgman into the ground?

I'd appreciate any feedback.

Love this site!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yes, you'll be able to keep up. I bought my Burgman 650 about 1 hour away from home. My wife had gone with me to drive the car back in case I rode the new bike back. On the way home she followed me for a little while where I kept at the speed limit or just above. When I was sure the bike was running fine I let her pass and followed her the rest of the way home. My wife was apparently in a hurry, though, since she kept getting faster and faster as each mile went by. I just gave the scooter a little more throttle an kept right along. At one point we got to a stretch of four-lane 70mph highway and she took off. My speedo had us doing 85 (with all the rest of the traffic that afternoon) and I still had more to go. nearing my town the traffic grew more dense. I needed to get around to the other lane to exit, so I just did. The burger quickly darted ahead of several cars until I had an opening to slide into. Amazing power. Amazing speed. Amazing stability at speed. Very controllable, but consider that I've been riding various scooters since 1985.

But sit on and test ride one before you decide. The 650 is a good fit for me, although I've ordered a taller windscreen. Many feel the seat is too long or too short or too high or too hard. Only your butt and back can tell you.

Dave B.

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
kaden, Welcom,

I cannot speak of Crusers, but the Burg can run all day with no problems, Last Summer me and my wife went 2-up around the State of WI, about 1,200 miles, fully loaded with us and saddlebags, (450# load) averaging 300 miles per day, with some speeds @ 75 mph. The Burg was willing to go more, we were not.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums kaden. Glad to have you join us.

The only way they would leave you behind on the 650 is if they are riding beyond your abilities since I'm assuming your a new rider or like me, a rider that started again after a long break. You're doing the correct thing and taking the MSF before getting a new bike. I ride the Burgman 400 and it'll keep up with most rides. The 650 will not have any problems at all and will surprise your friends with it's abilities. If at all possible, before buying a cruiser, take a test ride on the Burgman for comparison. There's also a wealth of information here on the forums. Reading thru the forums is what convinced me the Burgman was to be my next ride.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Thanks for joining us kaden. Although I have only rode a 650 Burger once, there is no doubt it will keep up with a cruiser. I have ridden many different bikes, and the Burgman would have no problem staying with them. But like Bill said, your riding experience is the only thing that might slow you down, but getting use to the Burgman is alot easier than any other bike I have ever been on. 8)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
And if they are riding beyound your abilities or comfort zone, let them go on ahead. ALWAYS ride within your abilities. As you become more comfortable with your machine, you'll progress in skill. Don't let others push you beyond those limits. We're riding for enjoyment ... not to impress others. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Welcome to the group. You will definitely have no problems. If anyone is riding fast enough to run a burgman 650 into the ground then they are riding too fast. period. Also, once your friends get a chance to swing their leg through a 650 and put down a few miles, I'd be willing to bet that they'll be wishing that they had gotten the burger instead of their current bike!

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've come to conclude that the Burgman is a cruiser, only more comfortable, and with less vibration, and better protection, and abler handling, and more forward-thinking styling, etc., etc. The seating position (feet forward) is similar to cruisers, without the wind blowing bees up to your knees, and without worrying that you're too far from the shifter or brake. If you've just gotta have that noisy thumpatathump, and that long and low look, and those irritating scraping sounds in corners, and that "I'm a mean mutha" feeling, you probably won't like the Burgman. On the other hand, if you like to go out and embarrass those guys, the Burger just may be your ride.

Steve

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Kaden - here's some numbers....

VL800 vs AN650...

0-60: 6.2 vs 7.0 (abuse vs tiptronic) 8)

60-0: 121.1 vs 120.8

1/4 mile: 14.4 @ 89mph vs 15.1 @ 85mph (see 0-60 comment...)

Wet weight: 588 vs 607 (we don't call it a "Lardy" for nuthin'! :oops: )

Avg MPG: 34.4 vs 46.4 (hmmm - :shock: - at gas prices these days! :roll: )

Top speed is ~101 for the AN650 (with a speedo indicated ~111) - am not sure what the VL does.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Kaden! Welcome to the Forum. I traded my '00 Honda Shadow 1100 Tourer (factory clear shield and hard bags) on my '04 650 last Spring and I have absolutely no regrets.
I have found the Burgman to be much more comfortable than the cruiser on long rides (I'm 66 and 6 ft. 2 in.). It is smoother and quicker than the Honda and handles a whole lot better when riding slowly or riding briskly on a nice twisty road.
The Honda was a good-looking bike and I enjoyed riding it. But, after puttng 4,000 miles on the 650, I can honestly say the Burgman is just plain more FUN. And, once you get some riding experience, your buddies will probably have to try hard to keep up with you.

Don

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
kaden said:
I'd appreciate some feedback from riders that are familiar with cruisers and the Burgman 650.

...Two of my friends I will be riding with both have cruisers (Honda 1800 and Yamaha road Star) and they obviously want me to get a cruiser however, I'm still not sure. Most of the trips would be day trips in the mounains with weekend trips thrown in on a regular basis.

The Burgman certainly appears to have much more comfort than a cruiser, however would I be able to keep up with them for long periods of time without running the Burgman into the ground?
I've had my 650 for 10 months now -- more than 9,000 miles / 14,580km ridden so far; a trip from the Canadian Border to the Mexican Border and back; two trips over the Cascade mountains to Eastern Washington, one in company with a dozen or so Harleys and Goldwings (the Teddy Bear Run fundraiser for Shriner's Hospital in Spokane); several group rides with the "big motors" at my company, including one up to Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mountains; etc.

I've never had trouble "keeping up." If anything, I've sometimes had to hold back. From 50 - 60MPH / 80 - 100km/h it's just getting into the sweet spot at 4,000RPM, and up to 80MPH / 130km/h it's still under 7,000.

At 112MPH / 181km/h indicated mine ran out of muscle at 8,000RPM, but that's still under the redline of 8,500 (and redline is only attainable in manual mode on mine). I only held it there for a few miles (didn't want any big traffic tickets), but it was smooth and steady and gave no indication that I was pushing it too hard.

The Burgman corners better than just about anything short of a sport or racing bike, although if you take it too fast you might rub the fairings (a couple of members have). It pays to follow the advisory speeds at curves.

From 0 - 60MPH / 0 - 100km/h it's hard to beat: while 7 seconds is less than what some bikes claim, it's a real-world number that doesn't require any smoking of tires or power-braking. Just put it in manual mode, twist hard, and blow the doors of whoever is next to you. Shift 4 times at 8,000 - 8,200 and then look in the mirrors for whoever was with you at the start. Even in auto mode it's a drag-bike in sheep's clothing: 8 seconds in Power mode and 10 seconds in standard auto. Not too shabby.

The flexible foot positions and wide seat make it a touring bike par excellance, and on some of my group rides when others have said they needed a stop I could have kept going for hours -- and I'm not really a masochist.

The huge trunk (55 litres) is something most cruiser riders can only dream about. On that border to border trip I took last summer I had 5 shirts, 3 slacks, 2 ties, 10 briefs, 10 pairs of socks, toilettries, quart of oil and litre of water, and assorted small items all locked up out of sight in the trunk. Nothing bungeed to the back seat (don't call it a pillion, it's a real seat), no add-on saddle bags or top box, just the stock Burgman.

The only disadvantage, if you can even call it that, is the four gallon gas tank. It's only good for about 150 miles of town riding or 180 miles of highway riding. I've gone over 200 twice, but I was running on vapors at the end. But since 180 miles at 70MPH is more than 2 1/2 hours in the saddle, most people would want to stop and stretch anyway, so it's really not a problem.

There are both a Road Star and a Honda 1800 in my group, along with several Harleys, Goldwings, a Victory, a Volusia, a Magna, a couple of Shadows, etc. They're all nice bikes, but I am completely contented with my Burgman.

When someone asked me today why I hadn't bought "a real motorcycle" I just looked at him and his Goldwing and said, "Why didn't you buy a real scooter?"

To paraphrase a recent ad, "This is not your father's Vespa."

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cruiser or Burgman

I'm a lot older than 60 - a B.A.B.E. (Born Again Bike Enthusiast)

Rode lots when in my 30's - now back at it

Bought a VESPA 150 - Useless
Traded for a Cruiser - Honda Shadow Aero 750cc OK but not what I wanted
I didn't realize at the time that these super scooters even existed
Of course you have to purchase early in the season (Feb Mar) or they just
don't exist in showrooms....
When I saw the SW I was sure that's what I wanted until I saw the
Yamaha Majesty and then the Burgman 400 and 650
I traded the Shadow for the 650
Got it just last Monday - rode for the first time over the Easter Week-end
WHATARIDE.
I am absolutely amazed at the Scooter - Haven't been able to get
over 4000 rpm's but it cruises nicely at 80 -90 KPH and the meter
reads about 3600 to 3700 RPM'S
That's fast enough for an old geezer like me, so imagine what it'll do
if you get it up to 7000 and kick it into passing gear

I've got 140 K on the Burgman and it just HUMMMMMMS

I am not sorry the Shadow is gone - and I took a real beating on it
Paid over 8000 Can - added Bags, Windshiled, Trim Moulding, Etc.

Got 5650 Can for it - they're asking 7500 Can for it
Now I was able to haggle for the 650 and they dropped 600 so
paid 10399 Can for it

At this point in time I would definitely recommend the AN650K5

Because of the small windshield I would recommend ear plugs to cut
down on the noise - the cheap use-once-throw-away kind are great.

Wouldn't ride without full leathers, boots and gloves - AND a full face
helmet....

Go for it ---- Keep us posted on your decision......

GONE Bump

1 - 14 of 14 Posts