Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm a new burgie owner of a Burgman 650 (2007) in Chicago, IL, USA after buying it used with 16k miles last week. I took a Greyhound bus from Chicago to Iowa City and made the bold move to scoot it back later that day. I planned out my trip, managed to dodge the rain, and got a great deal on the scoot ($2900) after eying one for a few months. I got my first moped last year, a 2019 Venture 49cc (pictured below), and while I'll always love my first (named 'Elend' for any Mistborn fans out there), I sold it to a friend and all in on the burgie now, which I've named the "Bork Man". While I'm newer to the scooting scene, it feels like its been in my blood my whole life, and I quickly got my motorcycle endorsement after I caught the bug, and even did a few months delivering pizzas on my Venture with a few bungie cords and a bread tray on back. Now, I'm looking forward to carrying a second rider without the steel screeching, and getting the satisfaction of the immense power of the burgie in comparison. Planning to keep going to Scooterworks off Damen for maintenance, but open to other service suggestions and / or gear recommendations. I like my current helmet (AFX-FX41) but noticed that air gets through the cracks and high speeds (70mph +), so I'm open to ideas for other helmets on cross country rides. Also looking for a decent cover and windproof pants.

Anyway, I'm over the moon to join y'all and learn more!

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Welcome, Smoking Deal ! You’ll be able to deliver Pizza Parties now.

Let me give you this as a Burg Warming Gift:

P.S. Hold the anchovies!

·
Premium Member
18,406 Posts
at higher speeds you will notice head buffet and the screen flappin round like a seagull on meth, Givi makes a much better screen, Clearview too, and your head and the noise will definitely be better, I installed a givi screen with a broken collar bone so it caint be all that difficult. also do the emergency seat release mod. if you never need it, you only wasted 5 minutes and 50 cents, if you ever do need it , you will be happier than a pig in pudding!

Btw welcome :)

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
welcome and congrats! must be a night and day experience between the 2. going ffrom the little nimble 50 to the limousine grand comfort of the 650, stretching your legs and the power. it took a bit to take it in.
is that an aftermarket screen?

"Planning to keep going to Scooterworks off Damen for maintenance"

why not yourself?

oil, 2 filters, 2 plugs. this is not like your 50 which has a cvt and needs replacement parts every so often.

let them do the brakes and coolant. save yourself money, and also learn about the scoot in the process.

people here and LeDudes videos can help you.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Welcome! When I lived in Chicago (Jefferson Park) I had a 2010 Honda SH150 scoot I called my urban assault vehicle. Only way to get around during rush hour with all the construction. I would lane split when the traffic came to a complete stop, get to the front of the stop light and take off. Always could find a parking space between two cars and got 70 mpg.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
at higher speeds you will notice head buffet and the screen flappin round like a seagull on meth, Givi makes a much better screen, Clearview too, and your head and the noise will definitely be better, I installed a givi screen with a broken collar bone so it caint be all that difficult. also do the emergency seat release mod. if you never need it, you only wasted 5 minutes and 50 cents, if you ever do need it , you will be happier than a pig in pudding!

Any specific Givi or Clearview models you recommend?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
welcome and congrats! must be a night and day experience between the 2. going ffrom the little nimble 50 to the limousine grand comfort of the 650, stretching your legs and the power. it took a bit to take it in.
is that an aftermarket screen?

"Planning to keep going to Scooterworks off Damen for maintenance"

why not yourself?

oil, 2 filters, 2 plugs. this is not like your 50 which has a cvt and needs replacement parts every so often.

let them do the brakes and coolant. save yourself money, and also learn about the scoot in the process.

people here and LeDudes videos can help you.
The screen is from the previous owner and works rather well, though I'm tempted to get a larger on as I'm a big guy (6'2") and would appreciate it being a tad taller. Planning to learn plenty myself over time, but want to make sure I have someone to go to when I am in a rush (it's my only vehicle and I don't need to travel much now but may in the future).

·
Registered
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
4,600 Posts
Welcome @Borkman 650
That's definitely not the OEM screen. I thought it looks like the Givi but I may be wrong. I've always had OEM on both of mine.

Must have been a challenge dodging between the rain drops on the highway. I tried that a few times and then gave up and wear Frogg Toggs when it rains now.

@mikeyMarine , how does a Givi screen get a broken collar bone? Hope the screen recovered fast.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Suzuki Burgman 650
15,200 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm a new burgie owner of a Burgman 650 (2007) in Chicago, IL, USA after buying it used with 16k miles last week. I took a Greyhound bus from Chicago to Iowa City and made the bold move to scoot it back later that day. I planned out my trip, managed to dodge the rain, and got a great deal on the scoot ($2900) after eying one for a few months.. Also looking for a decent cover and windproof pants.
Anyway, I'm over the moon to join y'all and learn more!
@Borkman 650
A late welcome to the party sir.
I too am from Illinois when not on assignment in Texas. I'm from the Peoria area. It looks to me like you made a good choice. I've done a few of the fly-n-rides and bus-n-ride once also. It is a lot of fun and a great way to learn about the new bike. It looks like you have a Givi windshield already installed. I have the same one on mine. I too wish it to be a couple inches taller on occasion but the adjustable windshield should get the wind up and over you if you choose not to replace it. When I am in Texas I use a Dowco cover for my bike. I am on my second one. They fit well and last a long time. Down there the sun gets to them but I still get about three years out of a cover. Riding pants, I purchased my last pair from Motorcyclegear..com. I wear the Montonation brand. High praise for the vendor and the product in my opinion.
Ride safe and have fun with the new bike and keep us posted on what you think of it and where you might ride to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a GIVI windshield on my 05 650 and it works nicely I’m 5’11”.

·
Premium Member
18,406 Posts

I have no idea where my head was when I wrote that, for some reason I had it as a 400 with an oem screen,,, so sorry,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.