Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum and to Suzi Burgmans. My name is Nick from Kassel , Germany. Recently bought a 22 year old 400 AN. Meticulously maintained from an elderly gentleman with 46.000km. (Approx. 28.000 miles) Coming from a Yamaha Tenere quite a change, I must say. But a very enjoyable, relaxing ride.
Only thing I wonder about, is the temperature. I get the feeling it doesn't get to the proper operating temperature. Temp. gauge hardly moves up when doing 60-75 mph. Is that normal on Burgmans ?Already changed the thermostat and coolant. No improvement
Thanks for any input..

Premium Member
i've had 3, none of them ever got above normal operating temp, even in traffic in florida summer, until my thermostat failed; quick fix on a 650, not hard to get a temp reading on yours, there are cheap laser temp sensors you can shine on engine or radiator and get a temp reading, then put the reader back in the box an give it to the wifey "for an anniversary gift". Then borrow it from her to check things like brake discs radiator, muffler, dawg, sidewalk etc. DO NOT gat caught shinin laser temp finder on ANY part of wifey馃

Registered
welcome nick. I have a 2007 Burmgan 400, the engine coolant temperature once warmed up stays in the middle of the indicator scale like the image below. not sure what 'normal' looks like for a 2001 Burgman 400, as far as I know it wasn't sold in the US until 2003 or later.
Speedometer Odometer Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tachometer

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've had 3, none of them ever got above normal operating temp, even in traffic in florida summer, until my thermostat failed; quick fix on a 650, not hard to get a temp reading on yours, there are cheap laser temp sensors you can shine on engine or radiator and get a temp reading, then put the reader back in the box an give it to the wifey "for an anniversary gift". Then borrow it from her to check things like brake discs radiator, muffler, dawg, sidewalk etc. DO NOT gat caught shinin laser temp finder on ANY part of wifey馃
Hehehe, don't think I'll make the Wifey happy with a laser temp sensor. She'll ask about the vacation I promised her;). But I'll try it anyways, thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
welcome nick. I have a 2007 Burmgan 400, the engine coolant temperature once warmed up stays in the middle of the indicator scale like the image below. not sure what 'normal' looks like for a 2001 Burgman 400, as far as I know it wasn't sold in the US until 2003 or later.
View attachment 98593
Thats what I mean. Your is in the middle of the scale. Mine

Premium Member
low temp, thermostat may have been removed, sensors still there, just the thermostat removed what is your temp at idle when warm and how long does it take to warm up?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
low temp, thermostat may have been removed, sensors still there, just the thermostat removed what is your temp at idle when warm and how long does it take to warm up?
Well, I changed the thermostat so that should be ok. Just ordered a laser thermometer. Next week I'll know idle temp... Thanks for your help(y)

Registered
Sorry, did something wrong there.... Meant to say that mine doesn't even get close to the half way mark. I'll try to attach a picture
that coolant temperature indication does seem lower than expected for 'normal', would expect it to be 1/4 to 1/2 scale.

the thermostat should open at 180 deg F.

might want to check the engine coolant temp sensor resistance. below are the specs from the 03-06 and 07-16 service manual. both manuals state that there should be 4.5-5.5 vdc coming from the ecu to the coolant sensor.

2003-2006
Engine Coolant Temp Resistance
20 掳C (68 掳F) Approx. 2.58 k鈩
40 掳C (104 掳F) Approx. 1.14 k鈩
80 掳C (176 掳F) Approx. 0.28 k鈩
100 掳C (212 掳F) Approx. 0.155 k鈩

07 and up
Engine coolant temp. Resistance
20 掳C (68 掳F) Approx. 2.58 k鈩
50 掳C (122 掳F) Approx. 0.77 k鈩
80 掳C (176 掳F) Approx. 0.28 k鈩
110 掳C (230 掳F) Approx. 0.12 k鈩