Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my first Burgman yesterday, a 07 650 EX w Dauntless sidecar. Being fairly new to the sport and having gimpy knees figured the motor scooter and sidecar will be a great rig to extend my riding years. Wanting to soak up some knowledge on both the bikes and the sidecar so bring it on. For a couple of months the rig will be in WA while I am in AZ.
Thanks
Mike Mc

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
May I be the first to say Welcome.................from the desert around Palm Springs Ca.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Welcome to the forum Mike.

I've had experience with both sidecars and 650 Burgmans. But not together. I bought a 95 Harley Ultra Classic with a California Freedom III sidecar in 1999 with only 4000 miles on it. (http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/v ... y&fr=moz35) The sidecar looked like a Geo Metro grafted to the side of the Harley. It had its own trunk like a car - and a removable soft top. Those things are BIG. Too big as it turns out for a stock 80CI Harley. Two passengers could fit in it - even had seat belts!

Many of you living in and around Washington state know what Vantage hill on I90 is like - kind of steep and a long climb - something like 1800'. I had to draft behind 50mph trucks to keep up without working the motor too hard all the way to the top. I took the sidecar off after the novelty wore off - about a week. I managed to sell it within two weeks after that for a very good price. That is the extent of my sidecar experience. Suffice it to say if you've been riding bikes for any time the sidecar takes away much of the joy of riding - especially in corners.

On the plus side that sidecar will come in handy for carrying a couple weeks of groceries - or that run to the hardware store for parts for that plumbing project - etc. And the Burgman is more a daily ride than any of the Harley's I've ever owned. After owning a pair of Harley Ultra Glides over the past few years - and a 90' Fat Boy before that it takes a lot to impress me (the Fat Boy seldom did) since the Ultra is a very nice riding bike with plenty of conveniences like radio - cruise control - comfy seats - plenty of storage room - etc. I don't think I'll ever go back to a Harley. I just wish the Burgman had options for cruise and a radio. I miss those from the Ultras. I don't miss the pain in the back I often got when swinging a leg over the seat/backrest. Took some effort with my bad back to get on.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Welcome to the jungle Mike! If you make it over to Eastern Washington look me up.

late,
Coz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts