Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys!

From San Jose California here.

For the past year, believe it or not, I have been in and out of your forums countless amount of times.
I love the Burgman series.

For starters, hehe I am a starter.

Just got into bikes in the past year, been riding about the same amount of time.
HOWEVER, I have no had a real manual shifting motorcycle, I bought a cheapie Lance GSR 150 scooter and have been on it since. Love the thing, great for me to commute at slow speed :( hehe.

Been wanting a Burgman for a while now, so I finally caved in and bought a used 650 with only 8 thousand miles on it from a dealership. $3800 + fees out the door.
Maybe over priced? I don't mind spending extra dollars if its truly worth it.

Anywho, I am a noobie here, I don't know much about mechanical stuff but I do love these things on how easy they are to get up and go.

ENough of my jibber jabber, just wanted to say hi!
Happy scooting!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Congratulations! I'm sure you will love the bike.

Just be careful. The 650 is a lot of bike. Take it slow. Take the MSF course, if you haven't already. Be cautious of the things I'm sure you've read about on this forum. Practice, practice, practice.

And have fun!

·
Registered
350 Posts
+1 on the MSF course. I was a "self-taught" rider for nearly 20 years and had to take the course when stationed at Offutt Air Force Base back in 1996. I thought it would be a waste of time - I already know how to ride. I was WRONG! I learned so much and it made me a much better and safer rider. It's never to late to take the class.

Enjoy the Burgman. I also found a used 2007 with only 2,300 miles last summer (2013) for $4,200. Like new! My last 3 bikes were a '99 Kawasaki Concours and then two Suzuki V-Strom 1000s. Love the Burgman! Smooth, comfortable, economical (avg 53MPG), LOTS of storage space, and it's a hoot to ride. I especially love passing slow packs of Harleys in the mountains. :D

Enjoy and ride safe!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just turned 65 and i bought me a 2007 650cc burgman with only 707 miles. Since i bought it from a car dealer i did not get to talk to the org. owner. I changed the engine, trans., and diff.,oil first thing. I used a measuring cup and added oil by the book. Engine oil looked real clean like it might have been changed. When i change the trans. it had about a 1/4 in of black muck on the magnetic drain plug. Is this normal for the first transmission oil chg? I put 3.1 us qts in engine and it just came to just halfway in sight glass. I left it that way because i thought it was better than over filling.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to be back so soon but my first message was too bussiness like. I haven't ridden in 25 years. My last bike was a 750cc Kawasaki. Rode it pretty hard. I wanted a scooter to ride with the "Scootin the Ozarks" (STO) bunch in Eurika Springs, Ar. around September of ever year. I watched on youtube and a lot of them rode Burgman. I hear a lot of good things about the burgman. I bought the burgman and then found out i could not legally ride it. YOU HAD TO HAVE SCOOTER LICENSE and take a TEST. The burgman has been sitting in the garage while i'm studying the written TEST. The last time i rode you only needed a driver'd license. I have only beem riding in the back yard. I got to be honest....This thing scares me to death, is this normal? I guess i'll get over it. Happy scooting and be safe out there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Take the training Up here you can take a weekend course, confirm your skills, build up your confidence and get your license. Ez pz. And it might save your life

Enjoy. I got eight inches of fresh snow last night. The only thing starting in my garage is my snowblower.

·
Premium Member
14,516 Posts
YOU HAD TO HAVE SCOOTER LICENSE and take a TEST.

A whole lot of things changed for everybody,
back when the FEDs mandated CDLs for
commercial truck drivers.
Now, almost all states have some kind of
endorsement test for motorcycles or scooters
over 50cc. A lot of States even require the
endorsement for 50cc scooters.
Be prepared to enjoy yerself at the STO Rally
in Eureka Springs. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 on the MSF course. I was a "self-taught" rider for nearly 20 years and had to take the course when stationed at Offutt Air Force Base back in 1996. I thought it would be a waste of time - I already know how to ride. I was WRONG! I learned so much and it made me a much better and safer rider. It's never to late to take the class.

Enjoy the Burgman. I also found a used 2007 with only 2,300 miles last summer (2013) for $4,200. Like new! My last 3 bikes were a '99 Kawasaki Concours and then two Suzuki V-Strom 1000s. Love the Burgman! Smooth, comfortable, economical (avg 53MPG), LOTS of storage space, and it's a hoot to ride. I especially love passing slow packs of Harleys in the mountains. :D

Enjoy and ride safe!
Do you think I overpaid?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Then I have much more imporant things to do - and come up with a name for it.
I have named my Burgman Executive: "ROCINANTE"

(Spanish pronunciation: [raw-thee-nahn-tee]) is Don Quixote's horse in the novel Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. In many ways, Rocinante is not only Don Quixote's horse, but also his double: like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities. Rocinante's name, then, signifies his change in status from the "old nag" of before to the "foremost" steed. As Cervantes describes Don Quixote's choice of name: "A name, to his thinking, lofty, sonorous, and significant of his condition as a hack before he became what he now was, the first and foremost of all the hacks in the world".

(Don't read anything special into this - it's only a name). :p

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I have named my Burgman Executive: "ROCINANTE"

(Spanish pronunciation: [raw-thee-nahn-tee]) is Don Quixote's horse in the novel Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes. In many ways, Rocinante is not only Don Quixote's horse, but also his double: like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities. Rocinante's name, then, signifies his change in status from the "old nag" of before to the "foremost" steed. As Cervantes describes Don Quixote's choice of name: "A name, to his thinking, lofty, sonorous, and significant of his condition as a hack before he became what he now was, the first and foremost of all the hacks in the world".

(Don't read anything special into this - it's only a name). :p
Dude! if you think you're going to pick-up girls with a Burgman named Rocinante - you're just tilting at windmills.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Dude! if you think you're going to pick-up girls with a Burgman named Rocinante - you're just tilting at windmills.
You're quite wrong there, my friend - women (I'm too old for girls) of the type I would wish to know intimately would enquire (of me) what the name meant out of curiosity, and thus (maybe) is my ticket to more intimacy gained. (well, I can dream) :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
Do you think I overpaid?
Not at all. Your price was average - some find ones for a little less, some pay more. I got lucky - I live in Harley country where 99% of the guys only drive trucks and ride HDs. This Burgman sat in the dealer showroom collecting dust for months. He sold it to me at cost (showed me the trade-in paperwork) so he could make room for new bikes. I got lucky. If I had gone in there a month or two earlier, it would have cost more.

You still got a very good deal. If you're ever in doubt, compare it to the price of a new one! :)

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
You're quite wrong there, my friend - women (I'm too old for girls) of the type I would wish to know intimately would enquire (of me) what the name meant out of curiosity, and thus (maybe) is my ticket to more intimacy gained. (well, I can dream) :D
As your self-appointed wingman, I offer this advice: if you're teetering on the edge of closing the deal - flash her your library card. She'll be all yours. ;)

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Sorry to be back so soon but my first message was too bussiness like. I haven't ridden in 25 years. My last bike was a 750cc Kawasaki. Rode it pretty hard. I wanted a scooter to ride with the "Scootin the Ozarks" (STO) bunch in Eurika Springs, Ar. around September of ever year. I watched on youtube and a lot of them rode Burgman. I hear a lot of good things about the burgman. I bought the burgman and then found out i could not legally ride it. YOU HAD TO HAVE SCOOTER LICENSE and take a TEST. The burgman has been sitting in the garage while i'm studying the written TEST. The last time i rode you only needed a driver'd license. I have only beem riding in the back yard. I got to be honest....This thing scares me to death, is this normal? I guess i'll get over it. Happy scooting and be safe out there.
Find out where the MSF Riders Course is offered in your area. Register for it and take it. Well worth the money, cost varies by location. Here it costs $100. Across town at our Harley Dealers, it is $150 I think. It is well worth the money however much it costs. In addition, you have to have your learners permit, leather gloves, over the ankle boots, long sleeved shirt, and a willingness to learn. They will furnish the motorcycle and will even loan you a helmet if you don't have one. Upon completion of the course you take your completion certificate to your DMV along with your learners permit and get your picture taken. Pay the money for the endorsement and tada! You have your motorcycle license/endorsement. Not a waste of time. You will learn a lot about how to be a safe rider.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks all for the feedback.
This bike is amazing. It feels good to have bikers with gixers and harleys say nice bike already!
I feel like a kid in a candy store! LOL
Any of you in the bay area? Lets ride! I took the week off so I can enjoy my new toy.
Planning on going to Lake Tahoe with this real soon.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Drguru
You've got world-class roads right out your back door - the Santa Cruz mtns! Pescadero, La Honda, then kicking back with the other bikers at Alice's. And you've got the Sierras only a couple hours away!

lucky guy, but don't get cocky

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Thanks all for the feedback.
This bike is amazing. It feels good to have bikers with gixers and harleys say nice bike already!
I feel like a kid in a candy store! LOL
Any of you in the bay area? Lets ride! I took the week off so I can enjoy my new toy.
Planning on going to Lake Tahoe with this real soon.
Check www.meetup.com . You should be able to fine MC or scooter riding groups in your area.

Just a word of warning. You need to have your riding skills down before you attempt group rides. They offer another set of challenges that you should not attempt before you have the basics mastered.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here in Vermont you can take the State sponsored MSF course where you ride their bikes. Most of them are small , 250cc or less, at least they were ten years ago when I first took the class. Take it easy, there's no rush even if you are 65.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts