Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's starting to get a little chilly on the early morning ride to work which makes me think about the cold/wet of winter, and staying warm. Has anyone ducted the hot air from the radiator toward the rider? Just thinkin it may be a good way to extend the riding season a little.

I realize that for many of you it's still too hot during the day to even begin thinking of this but hey, thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I had more problems with face shield fogging and cold hands than with my body getting cold. I rode all winter with the liner out of my riding pants (although the liner was IN the jacket). Heated grip covers were all I needed for warmth. I might try a pinlock shield for the fogging problem. I think 50F is my ideal riding temperature.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'll see how it goes. Weather protection was a big factor in purchasing the Burg'. I have an electric vest and gauntlets for the handlebars, it may be all I need. The Concours produced alot of engine heat but I was a little more exposed to the elements.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The only heat from the 400 that will help is that which accumulates in the "trunk" under the seat (on top of the engine) after you shut down. It kept my helmet and gloves nice and warm this morning during a 30-minute stop after a quick freeway run. Even in 100F heat a few weeks ago (hotter on the pavement) neither my GF's 400 or my 650 produced any noticeable heat from the running gear.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Mike! I'm actually in Bellevue too, a few houses north of the College. I indicated Seattle because more people know where that is. Awesome riding season isn't it!

·
Registered
735 Posts
I'm about 2 miles south of you! I rode all winter, including a 2200-mile trip to CA and back (all coast route) in March and hitting 30 WA state islands in Jan/Feb/Mar. I prefer the cooler weather (without the rain of course), hate sweating.

You should add your ride (model and year) to your profile so that we can see what you have. Enjoy that 400, it's a sweet machine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I rode all winter with the liner out of my riding pants (although the liner was IN the jacket). I think 50F is my ideal riding temperature.
With temperatures sometimes dropping to -40F winter riding is unlikely.

Although I've noticed a few sport bikes guys out in January at -10C or so.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I had more problems with face shield fogging and cold hands than with my body getting cold. ... I might try a pinlock shield for the fogging problem. I think 50F is my ideal riding temperature.
Pinlock works GREAT

I bought my first Pinlock-equipped helmet - a Shoei - last year, and simply couldn't believe how well it worked.

The only reason for opening the visor at low temps is now to get fresh air, not to clear fog, because there isn't any, even at 5 deg C /41 deg F

I love new inventions that solve old, previously unsolvable problems.

I've used all kinds of smear-on products back when I only commuted by bike, with more or less success, but they didn't work anywhere near as good as Pinlock.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just hate to waste all that engine heat during the winter. If there was only a way to dump it all to the cabin area...

I should probably look for one of those skirts. The bikies at work would probably fall down giggling if I showed up with one.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yeah I looked into adding a heat exchanger to the cooling system on my 650. The isolated side of the exchanger would feed warm water to a vest (and pants maybe) full of tubing, similar to the way space suits are built. These guys make a cooling vest which I could adapt I'm sure:

http://www.veskimo.com/

Then I rode in 14F weather and made the long trip to CA and back in March when the average temps in WA and OR were in the high 40s, and found that all I really needed was the thermal liner in my jacket (and pants when 14F) and a set of $47 grip heaters from Aerostitch which draw only about 20W from the electrical system. Also, I couldn't find a commercially built heat exchanger small enough, even the smallest ones were much too big and I wasn't interested in building my own.

Erik thanks for the info, I had a photochromic pinlock on order for my Shoei but after they delayed shipping twice (almost a year), I canceled the order ... there are some things that may be too difficult to manufacture. In retrospect, I think it would have been a major problem when riding through the pair of freeway tunnels between me and the city, it's dark enough in there with a clear shield that I worry about not seeing wheel-destroying debris on the road. I'll order a clear pinlock for the winter riding which is all too imminent here :-(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mike, my commute is an hour each way south to JBLM. All at the speed limit.

Reading about your experience, maybe the weather protection is just so much better than I'm used to on regular motorcycles that it won't be an issue most of the time. Just planning for the worst I guess.

This 400 is just so nice in so many ways to commute with, the tinkerer in me just keeps looking for ways to make it even better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi folks, new here, just wanted to second the Pinlock recommendation--I bought a replacement visor for my HJC helmet last spring with the pinlock feature and it worked extremely well in the cold weather.

Having radiator heat become available for warmth would be nice. I believe the Yamaha FJR1300A has some air flaps to allow this, no idea how well it works. I did buy the Oxford Handlebar Muffs this spring and I found they work surprisingly well--above 35F or so, with aftermarket heated grips, they're all I need. Around ~35F and below the eddy currents/side wind drafts that manage to get inside the muffs bite my hands just enough to make them uncomfortable...

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Just put radiant heat in the floor boards - 3/8" cnopper pipe loops piped in the engine's cooling system and aluminum diamond plate on top.
If your feet are warm, it's a very good start.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Erik, now that's an idea! 180*F floorboards will certainly keep my feet warm.

Thinking more, I'd use flattened aluminum pipe welded to the aluminum floorboards to keep the metals the same. Also use a 3 way heater valve to on/off the heat. Hmmm.

It would likely be all the radiator needed on a cold day.

Just have to figure out how to remove them easily for the maintenance every 1,800 miles.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
You could modify the evaporator from a refrigerator, it's flat and aluminum

A small circulator and a mixing cirquit would be needed to have a uniform temperature across the surface

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm planning on getting heated grips, and I have noticed that when one has been riding for a while one does feel heat from the motor (after all, your rear is right over it on a scooter).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts