Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this jacket that I wear while working around the house, sporting events (Go Ravens!) and under my riding gear when it gets too cold. This jacket is awesome for several reasons. First, it's inexpensive. Certain website offer 10% off the $149 price and free shipping for signing up for their mailing list.

Second, it has multiple uses (as mentioned above). This is much more useful, in my opinion, than the Gerbing heated vests.

Third, aside from heat zones on the chest and back, the pockets are also heated.

Fourth, the jacket also has a pocket that contains a USB port that you can use to charge your electronics. It does an awesome job charging my cell phone. Yes, you can charge your phone on the scooter, but you can use this feature to charge your items while away from the scoot or your car, such as at a sporting event.

Fifth, no umbilical like the Gerbing to attach to the bike and forget about.

Sixth, there is a small touch pad on the lapel that allows you to select one of three heat settings.

Seventh, though I purchased the Milwaukee red version, you can also get it in hi viz.

Lastly, the battery will heat the jacket for six hours.

These things work great. If you're interested, here's the link: http://www.cpomilwaukee.com/milwaukee-h ... lt,sc.html Also, if you don't have any Milwaukee tools you will have to purchase the battery and charger for an extra $50. I already have several Milwaukee tools and the chargers so it's not an issue for me.

Morris

·
Registered
739 Posts
I like that.. It says it comes with a battery & charger for the $199 ... do I need something more than that?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I just ordered one.. Hopefully I can wear my 1st gear Kilamanjaro jacket over it..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Noth, no, in addition to the jacket you only need the battery and the charger. They work great. The heated pocket and USB port for charging are fantastic as well as the three separate heat settings.

If you have any Milwaukee tools you can also use the charger and battery with those as well.

Let me know how you like it. This is one of those things that I get and then ask myself why I didn't buy it sooner!

·
Registered
739 Posts
ErikDK said:
It uses a 12V Li-ion battery, do you think 14.x Volts from a running Burgman would roast you?
I don't understand your question.. It does not plug into my Burgman and is not designed to do so..

·
Registered
739 Posts
ErikDK said:
I was thinking of by-passing the LI-ion battery and get power directly from the Burgman.
I see.. There's lots of stuff already made that is designed to plug in.. That's what I am trying to avoid is all.. I would just get something designed to plug in if that's what I wanted..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the tip. The jacket looks great for running around town. How much for the batteries?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I have the jacket...I wore it tday under my 1st Gear Kilimanjaro jacket and a pair of Tourmaster Venture air mesh pants with the rain liner in them..
I was toasty warm during my 20 mile commute up the 4 lane at 75 MPH in 45 degree's.. So that's a success.. The one surprise was that after about 35 minutes the battery was practically discharged. I emailed Milwaukee Tool.. Turns out that 6 hrs.. is good at the lowest heat setting.. and at the high setting, like I had it.. maybe an hour, max.... so I am investigating the High volume 12 V that did not come withthe jacket.. ($45, I think) or about going to a Milwaukee Tool dealer and simply buying a second battery that I can charge & have on hand.. so I think for an all day deal.. that would be necessary, at least.. but the jacket works very well

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Noth said:
ErikDK said:
It uses a 12V Li-ion battery, do you think 14.x Volts from a running Burgman would roast you?
I don't understand your question.. It does not plug into my Burgman and is not designed to do so..
As I've been shopping this item and finally made the plunge, I find one thing I like is the versatility, including the ability to 1) get extra wireless run time with the available 18v adapter (with, of course the extra weight of the larger battery):
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/cordless-tools/m18-cordless-system/m18-power-source/49-24-2371
and, provided an appropriately located outlet were installed 2) run off the bikes power with the also available 12v adapter:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/cordless-tools/heated-gear/m12-heated-jacket-12v-dc-plug-adapter/49-24-2301

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I was thinking of doing that when i had my Gerbing years ago which failed, it was defective China ,one reason why im not going back to Gerbing again , and gonna try a different brand
you have to use a Blinker Circuit, You can,t just hook a direct battery to it ,It will not work. The Gerbing works with a Blinking Voltage Sequence which speeds up when you adjust the Heat Control levels

On Low it blinks Slow on medium it blinks Fast on High it blinks Faster , i put a led on it after the Heat vest quit working , since i could not fix the Cheap thin wires,

from the 12V Li-ion battery i place the led on the Output wires , and Walla the led was Blinking , It's not a Steady Current on these Gerbings Will not work plugging them Direct to the Scooters Power Supply.

works like this Voltage between Blinks 12v 2.8v Stop 2.8v Start 2.8v Stop and so on and so Between Blinks. Not a steady Current ,will not work. tried it, I think the Voltage is Inverted Not the same Voltage.

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Elliott Larron said:
I was thinking of doing that when i had my Gerbing years ago which failed, it was defective China ,one reason why im not going back to Gerbing again , and gonna try a different brand
I spoke to a Gerbing rep at the motorcycle show in Seattle and he confirmed that very soon, all Gerbing gear will be made in the USA. No more made in China.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
O Great!! becuze mines just plain old failed, i tried to solder the wires but so cheap, I guess lots of people return them when trey were made in china, and it's about time, I'm getting so sick of this trade agreement trowing away all are Jobs just so people can Buy cheap and sale High to Pocket the money.

No body here in california has a job anymore every things Closing, Warehouses that used to make Good stuff that work are now shut down.

i will be sure to order one when that time comes.. :thumbup:

Elliott,

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
from the Gerbing website...
http://gerbing.com/News/recentNews.php#n18

9/13/2012
Gerbing's Invests In America

Gerbing's Heated Clothing, the industry's leading manufacturer of heated clothing, gloves, socks and accessories, announces that it has opened a new factory in the U.S.

"We're bringing Jobs back to America and employing our fellow Americans," said President and CEO, Jeff Gerbing. "It's about time we started thinking of our country first, instead of just who's got the cheapest prices. And the response from our customers has been over the top. They love it, and our high loyalty rankings have shot up even more."

Mr. Gerbing spoke highly of the work force he's encountered at his factory's location in Stoneville, NC. "This area has a great textile history. And the skills and productivity of the people is second to none. Our U.S.-made products are every bit as good as what China used to make for us, and in several areas they're better. We're working on making them better in all areas."

Part of that commitment has been to go beyond just manufacturing in the U.S. It's a commitment to source all raw materials in the U.S. as well. "When I say we're going to make a product in America, that means top to bottom. Every piece of cloth, every zipper, every plug, every wire, every thread is going to be sourced from American companies." The Gerbing's owner went on to say, "That means we're helping to employ Americans at those supplier companies as well. It's win/win for us and for our country."

The process of bringing all products back to U.S. sourcing and manufacture is on a timetable. Mr. Gerbing explained, "As you can imagine, this takes a tremendous investment. Right now we're making our Heated Jacket Liners, Pant Liners and Vest Liners in North Carolina. Over the next 3-to-5 years, we're going to be investing even more and bringing our Heated Outerwear production here as well. Our gloves will also transition to the U.S. as will socks and all our accessories."

The North Carolina facility is massive, as plans for growth continue. "We're using 25,000 of an available 80,000 square feet. And there are more adjacent buildings to grow into. So our future is secure here. This is a vision I've had for years. It's just time that someone took the lead and decided that Americans should come first."

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Scooter_Maniac said:
As I've been shopping this item and finally made the plunge, I find one thing I like is the versatility, including the ability to 1) get extra wireless run time with the available 18v adapter (with, of course the extra weight of the larger battery):
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/cordless-tools/m18-cordless-system/m18-power-source/49-24-2371
and, provided an appropriately located outlet were installed 2) run off the bikes power with the also available 12v adapter:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/cordless-tools/heated-gear/m12-heated-jacket-12v-dc-plug-adapter/49-24-2301

How is it holding up so far?

I've just ordered 2 jackets of the old model, size small and medium, since they couldn't provide any measurements. Then I can just keep the size that fits me best.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know that technology has improved on these battery-operated heated vests. About 4 years ago I bought a JETT vest. I have used it all 4 winters, springs and falls in Colorado. I can go at least 6 hours on a charge and have a spare battery in case I need it. I don't know if they are still around (Australian Company). Anyway, here is a review of them:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/heated-v ... t-vest.htm
Last comment...cordless is the only way to go!
Bud

·
Registered
704 Posts
Garnet said:
Elliott Larron said:
I spoke to a Gerbing rep at the motorcycle show in Seattle and he confirmed that very soon, all Gerbing gear will be made in the USA. No more made in China.
Gerbings has a life time guarantee. If it can not be repaired it is replaced. Sent my China made jacket liner back for repair. Came back better then new. My USA made pants liner works great so far.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Have the liner , been changed over yet? to USA i decided to wait and order it next year before winter returns, Let me know. Thanks... :thumbup:

Elliott,

1 - 20 of 25 Posts