Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I really hesitate to ask this question, but like I told my wife tonight I'm wimping out. :oops:

So I'm considering heated grips. Here are the two I'm considering. One is a grip replacement. The other is a heating element under the grip.
Disregarding the price difference, which do you think works best? Why? Do you have any other recommendations?

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Daboo - U might want to buy heated gloves instead. The gloves will heat more than just the palms of ur hands - if u catch my drift. I have both heated gloves and heated grips but since I also run my 2 amps ( I know I am crazy - haha!), I only run either the heated gloves or grips so that I don't overtax my charging system. Contact me if u want to know which particular model of Gerbing's gloves I bought. They are really nice with gauntlet and even some padding/cushioning. Of course if it is too cold, I will run both and not my sound systems.

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Polly Heaters work great and no wires are left dangling. High and low setting. You must drill holes in the bars for the wires, but done right, seems to not affect their strength -- not a problem in 30,000 miles for me. And, they are cheap.
http://www.pollyheaters.com/

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Chris

I have installed Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heaters on every bike over the last decade...9 seasons on the Burger King now, no issues :thumbup:

My source has always been http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?store_code=CST&screen=PROD&product_code=16025

Symtec's advantage is a different heating element array for the clutch and throttle sides to compensate for the metal bar on the clutch and the plastic throttle tube. They really can get too hot, even on low at times...back of your hands will be cold as stated...I have pretty good gloves for that...nearly everyone I know who really rides in cold uses these...Think Goldwings, ST's etc....Many install these after their expensive OEM heated grips fail :lol:

Amazon has about the same http://www.amazon.com/Symtec-Motorcycle-Handle-Warmer-210019RR/dp/B001AWRCJO/ref=pd_sbs_auto_2/190-7041847-4757448#productPromotions

I personally prefer the flush mount rocker over the toggle for a cleaner install and black color blends well with the handle bar covers

I do not know how much "spare" room there is under the 400 cover...but plenty under the 650

Simple install...compress air your grips off...make sure your attachment points are clean...acetone does a nice job of left over glue etc...the adhesive backing on the heater arrays works very well...hairspray the grips back on...give them overnight to fully "cure"...wiring is simple

About double the cost of your Tusk brand...I think money well spent over the last 9 years :thumbup:

It's not wimpy to be comfortable :D and it is safer if you can "feel" your hands on cold rides

JMHO

Bill

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've only used the Oxford grips. They work well.
For the moment they are wired directly to the battery (I will install a relay).
If the grips are left on, it will automatically turn off when the battery get low.
I've tested that feature and I could start bike afterwards.

I have installed the control facing forward!? It works well to turn on and off.
It's a bit more tricky to adjust heat (four settings).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Chris, I've had the Symtec grip heaters on both my scoots and have been super pleased with them.
My toggle switch is mounted on the side of the inside of the left glovebox, out of the weather.
I've never found it to be a problem with the top of my hand getting cold, as I wear non-bulky winter gloves. Yesterday it was pretty cold over here in the evening when I came home from Port Angeles and I had on an unlined glove with a glove liner and the heater was too hot on high. Low was perfect and my hands were toasty when I got home. It was only about 36 at that point...

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
I have put heated grips on every bike I have owned. I believe the heated gloves give you a more uniform heat on your hands but i perfer the grips several reasons. The main being that i dont have to stop and put them on. With grips I just reach down and flip the switch at the least hint of chill. The second reason is I dont have to store them on the bike that is already limited on space. The third reason is i perfer to wear my summer gloves instead of the thick heated type just to have less bulk when operating the controls. I have tired the in bar inserts and they work well. A bit harder to install and I think they take a bit longer to really heat up. So far my favorite grips are the oxford. I use to use hot grips but they use a softer rubber and they get stick on a hot summer day even when they are off. I called the company and they said they perfer the soft compound. I dont so I switched to oxford. I love the grips but he controller is junk. I got the grips from lockitt and they recomment a different controller. http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/ELGP ... 30HG1.html You can see the little knob in the pic on the lower left of the dash. It is fully adjustable and works well for me there. ( i thought my knee would hit but it doesnt.) On other grips i have used i dont think you even need a controller. Just turn them on high and adjust the heat by how hard you squeeze the grips.. allowing the air to flow under your hands. The oxfords get to hot for this method. One problem i had with the controller was when i washed the bike the water would get into the open unit and cause it to come on. Once it dried out it worked fine again so i encased the entire workings with silcone and that seemed to work. I have not put oxfords on my venture now and smile every time I get to use them. The venture has just a two way switch with a old school resistor inline on low. it works just fine too.
[attachment=0:1c29nrro]photo.JPG[/attachment:1c29nrro]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Btw. Lockitt will change out the oxford controller for the better controller for a few dollars more.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-core-heat-s-2-gloves?utm_source=product&kwd=&adtype=pla&kw={keyword}&gclid=CLCb6LTQyLMCFcXb4AodFm4Aww
I have the Gerbing Core S2 Gloves. Last winter was warm so I only got them down to 35 deg. They performed perfectly. I bought them barely used for $125. At full power they last 2 hours on a charge but four different settings could make them last much longer. They look good and feel good. They are pre-flexed.They keep the back of the hand warm too because they have a sort of heat net that goes around the whole hand. Yes, you would have to charge them every day for your round trip. Just one more thing to do,right? One further upside is that you don't have to mess with your burgie or tax your battery. I am going into my second winter with them and am expecting a cold one in the NE. I am sure they will be tested well below freezing soon. I also have thin liners with aluminum flake to help out if it gets really cold. For me, it is the back of the hand that gets the coldest so I don't see how a warm grip can help much with that. Good luck with your choice, whatever it is. :)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Chris,
Let me side with Garnet on the Symtec option. That is because I own her first scoot and they work
Fantastic. Have heated grips on my Vic CCT, also, and love them. Just get a set and don't look back.
Regards, Jim

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Jercoupe said:
I have put heated grips on every bike I have owned. I believe the heated gloves give you a more uniform heat on your hands but i perfer the grips several reasons. The main being that i dont have to stop and put them on. With grips I just reach down and flip the switch at the least hint of chill. The second reason is I dont have to store them on the bike that is already limited on space. The third reason is i perfer to wear my summer gloves instead of the thick heated type just to have less bulk when operating the controls. I got the grips from lockitt and they recomment a different controller. http://lockitt.com/Lockitt/product/ELGP ... 30HG1.html You can see the little knob in the pic on the lower left of the dash. It is fully adjustable and works well for me there.
+1

·
Registered
143 Posts
Chris, I just purchased the oxford " hot hands" and the combo of heated gloves & the hot hands is great! For the 1st time my hands are warm even in 30 degree weather. The hot hands are easy to install although I ended up glueing the right one to the grip ( kept twisting) . The foam mount for the switch also needed to be glued on. I kept seeing that everyone was having trouble with the multi setting controler so oped for the simple switch .

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:roll: I'm reconsidering... :lol:

My hands haven't been cold since last Friday night and I've ridden down to about 33F so far. The difference? I didn't let my gloves and liners set out in that 33F temperature long enough to get soaked in frigid temperatures. Last Friday night, I left them on the seat for quite awhile while I talked with a friend.

I may still do it though. The price is well within what I can afford and I have a week off coming up. I'm getting the carpal tunnel surgery on the left hand in December. Since I'm right handed, I expect I can do a few things like install some heated grips and have time to do it right.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
Lets buy Daboo some heated gloves too. If someone starts a collection, I can afford 5 bucks and I know u guys appreciate all Chris does too. We r why he has carpal tunnel! he types such great lengthy/detailed answers.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, but no thanks. :)

None of the moderators do any of this with any thought of a "reward". We do it to help out others. So if you really want to return that thought and help out others, donate some money to the local food bank. They need it far more than I do.

Chris

1 - 17 of 17 Posts