Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't get too many chances to ride during the winter months. But occasionally if the temperature nears 50 degrees I'll go for short ride. Even though the Burgman offers great protection, especially with a Givi or Clearview windshield, my fingers would always get cold, no matter what kind of gloves I would wear. My wife bought me a pair of battery powered electric gloves for Christmas. BEST GIFT EVER! Now I don't hesitate at all to hop on the scoot and go for a spin even down into the forties. They're fantastic. There are many makes and models out there. Prices range widely from around $50 to $200. These gloves are brand AMERICAN MAMMOTH. They are available on Amazon for $79 ( on sale -- originally $169). They utilize 7.4 volt rechargeable lithium ion batteries. There are three heat levels. Time of use ranges from about 2.5-5 hours depending on heat level selection. They are waterproof gauntlet style and actually work pretty well even when not turned on. Fingers are pre-curved. They are somewhat bulky but still able to work all the controls and buttons. Love 'em!

·
Registered
883 Posts
They are great for cold-weather riding. I looked at a bunch of options last year when I was looking for heated gloves. Strongly considered the rechargeable gloves, but ultimately decided I'd rather have them powered from the bike. Also a big consideration was that I wanted to try them on before buying, as there's really no consistency in glove sizing. I ended up getting a pair at the local Cycle Gear. They are rather bulky, but with the heated grips I can keep my hands toasty down into the 30s and below. At that point I'm going to get cold somewhere else anyway. I did get a pair of rechargeable heated socks which help for very cold riding. They don't get toasty warm but do help ward off icy toes.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Heated gloves, either battery powered or direct plug in, are great.
One of the first things I found out when I took my first Burgman 650 to work on a cold morning in 2006 compared to my previous Gold Wing is that my hands were much more "in the wind" on my Burgman. My GW had better protection of my hands so I could ride down to around 25F with just my TM PolarTex unheated winter gloves before I'd feel the chill. Of course, cold is relative to where you live and what you are used to. I still use my PolarTex gloves (newer version now but still unheated) down to around 35F on my current Burgman 650. I tried a few different solutions and settled on plug in heated gloves from Gerbing. There weren't a lot of choices back in 2006. I still have that same pair of Gerbing gloves. I can ride my Burgman 650 down below zeroF during the cold months so temp is of no consequence to me for when I ride.

Note: don't pay attention to the actual temps reported. If you live down south anything below 50F may require winter gear to be warm. Here in the Upper MidWest it really needs to go to near freezing and below to require winter gear. Yet there are many riders of 2 wheeled steeds even up here call it quits for riding when temps go below 50F and some wimps on their HD bikes (polished to mirror finishes since they spend more time cleaning and polishing than actually riding) stop at anything below 60F (mainly since they find it hard to be comfortable in their tank tops and do-rags at those temps). :D

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I know that it may be anecdotal with no scientific evidence, but I could almost swear that my hands became extra sensitive to the cold after my carpal tunnel surgeries on both sides over the summer of '14.
Prior to that, I seemed to be okay using just thick, bulky, motorcycle-specific 'winter gloves' that were unheated. Granted, most of my riding life has been in the Sunbelt states of FL, HI, and AZ but my time in NV, TX and OK had me riding down into the twenties. Now I know I'm going to get some reply from an awesome someone up north who trekked five miles to school in a blizzard telling me "That's not cold", but for me it was/is. Especially now with my hands. Oddly enough, I can walk outside on a cold day with a light jacket or even no jacket, but I need hefty gloves and toe warmers in my boots.
So for me, when temps are averaging below 70F, the Barkbusters Blizzard hand guards stay on and my battery powered RS Taichi gloves turn on below 60F and the Gerbing wired gloves get used at about 45F & under.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been using plug-in Gyde by Gerbing gloves that have a knuckle protector. I started riding your round because now I don't have to experience frost bite like before. I usually have them on the red setting and they work well. However I did have to return them for repairs during the first year and they've been good ever since. Heated4you was the seller and they had a booth at the 2017 New York City motorcycle show where I bought the gloves for $150 + 50 for the junior controller which also had to be replaced. But they sold me a generic one the first time.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts